Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LCpl Coltman VC DCM & Bar MM &Bar

Doug Lewis

Lance-Corporal William Harold Coltman VC DCM & Bar MM & Bar 1/6th Btn North Staffordshire Rgt.

I have information on how he earned his VC but does anyone have any more about this incredible man.

Regards Doug

How did he stay at that rank? Was he one of those 'great in action, awful in barracks' types? He was undoubtedly a real fighting soldier.

Desmond.

All the information that I have is on how he earned his VC.

On 3/4 Oct 1918 during the operations at Mannequin Hill, LCpl Coltman a stretcher-bearer hearing that wounded men had been left behind during the retirement went forward alone in the face of fierce enemy fire. He dressed the mens wounds and on three occassions carried some of them back to safety,he continued to tend the wounded for the following 48 hours.

Regards Doug

Seem to remember that i have a military illustrated article on this man will try and dig it out and e-mail you if i can.

Arm.

I think that I read somewhere that he was decorated with all the medals on the same day, the first time the King had pinned four medals on one person at the same investiture

Tim.

Coltman was no "fighting soldier", as such; all his awards were for work as a Stretcher Bearer. He never fired a shot in anger in four years. Personally one of the most deservedly decorated men of the war, in my opinion.

Whilst it is true that Coltman won his awards for his work as a stretcher bearer, he did serve in a rifle platoon. A man of strong religious conviction - he was a lay preacher - he eventually volunteered to be a stretcher bearer because he felt he would be more useful saving life than taking it.

Terry Reeves

Thank you all for info.

Arm did you get my email address?

Regards Doug

Coltman was born at Rangemore a little village on the outskirts of Burton on Trent and was living within the town when he died in 1974.I would have thought that he probably lived his whole life around the town.

At one time he was active in the Army Cadets and carried the rank of Captain.I recollect that in the 1960s there was often articles about him in the Burton Evening Mail regarding his exploits as a stretcher bearer in the Great War.I had the feeling that he was revered in the town and was always referred to as Captain Coltman.

I don't know if the Burton Mail is still published.If so, it's archives should have an abundance of material on Coltman for anyone carrying out research.

Regards

Frank East

Lcpl Coltman's entry in www.victoriacross.co.uk

COLTMAN, William Harold. (reg No. 235).

Lance-Corporal 1st/6th Battalion. The North Staffordshire Regiment. (The Prince of Wales's).

London Gazetted on 6th January 1919.

Born on 17th November 1891 at Rangemore, Staffordshire.

Died on 29th June 1974 at Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire.

Memorials at The Garrison Church, Whittington Barracks, Lichfield, Staffs., and in the town park of Burton-on-Trent.

Digest of Citation reads:

On 3rd/4th of October 1918 at Mannequin Hill, north-east of Sequehart, France, Lance-Corporal Coltman, a stretcher bearer, hearing that wounded had been left behind during the retirement, went forward alone in the face of fierce enfilade fire, found the casualties, dressed their wounds and on three successive occasions, carried some of them on his back to safety this very gallant NCO and tended the wounded unceasingly for 48 hours.

Additional information: Lance-Corporal Coltman was the most decorated non-commissioned officer in World War One. As well as the Victoria Cross he held the Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM) and Bar and also the Military Medal (MM) and Bar. He was commissioned a as an officer in the Burton Army Cadet Force for the period 1939-5 (World War Two).

yes Doug i did, will keep trying to send but connection is bad at moment will try again tonight.

Arm.

Apparently Bill Coltman's relatives attended the planting of a tree to his memory at the National Memorial Arboretum in Alrewas last October.The tree stands in the Staffordshire Regiment Grove.

Dave

His VC is on public display at the Staffordshire Regiment Museum.

Regards Doug

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would post this picture (copy) of Bill Coltman,which I was given this afternoon.

Doug

post-1-1076275830.jpg

• 4 years later...

Hi Forum,

Bill Coltman VC's plaque at the National Memorial Arboretum, Alrewas, Staffordshire, U.K.

Phred

post-35623-1219264338.jpg

• 2 months later...

Have recently had it brought to my attention that my late Grandfather; Jack Hinks, actually conducted the funeral service of Bill Coltman in 1974. Both Bill & my Grandfather were committed Christians; members of the Brethren Assemblies of the Burton & Derby areas and close friends. I have to say I did not know the man, although my father recalls visiting Bill's home and being shown the remarkable collection of medals won by this truly remarkable yet very modest individual. Researchers may like to know that The Derby Evening Telegraph carried a very informative article on Bill on Saturday November 16th 1991, which would have been his 100th birthday had he still been alive.

Dave Upton

• 1 month later...

Just a little more info regarding Cpl William Coltman for future reference

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/burtonmail-new...e.asp?id=364648

The book mentioned in the article is available via online retailers,also there is a large memorial 'wall' to Cpl Coltman in Burton town centre adjacent to the main war memorial

Best wishes for the festive to all

Mag

• 3 years later...

I spoke to a man a couple of nights ago who sang in the Burton Church choir, and remembers him sitting in the Church. I believe his medals were given the the North Staffs Regt, and he wore the small replica medals in Church?

What would that collection be worth?

Mike

• 3 months later...

Just searching a couple of VC winners and 'google' sent me here (Tax free of course) :devilgrin:

This link may be of interest to Doug and others as it lists the citations for all medals won by this brave man

http://www.victoriacross.org.uk/bbcoltma.htm

Sorry to raise an old thread but it may interest some.

• 2 years later...

Any more on this humane man? What do we know about his childhood and family? (The newspaper link is no longer working, magumba, were there reports of his great-grandson's talk, do you know?)

• 1 year later...

Interesting to see some info on William Harold Coltman, who I have just learned today was my 2nd cousin 3x removed. Ime very proud to have a man of such conviction and courage in my family

2 hours ago, madgarry said:

my 2nd cousin 3x removed. 

Sounds like a homeopathic remedy.

Seriously, what is a 2nd cousin 3x removed?