Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

which one is Heney ?

Coldstreamer

Hello

This is bugging me

I thought Heney was the one with the red circle (due to the MC ribbon) but counting through the line I know think he's the blue one - which is he ???

Cheers

post-3871-1191939786.jpg

post-3871-1191940205.jpg

Well this is a tough one.

Having looked at the pic its nigh on imposible to decide which row is which.

Shoddy bunch couldn't even stand in a straight row :lol:

Think your gonna have problems with this, that is unless you actually know what Heney looked like.

The man with the red dot. There are only nine men named in the front row, which are easily identified, that then sorts out who constitutes the back row.

Now someone will tell me I'm wrong I'm sure. BIG grin

TR

I'd go with the red dot. I think Duff is the guy leaning on the cane, far left; there are 9 in the 'front' row - finishing with Pope at the end, upright, with the cane at an odd angle. Major Boyd (I think) is the buffer with the walrus moustache, far left.

so are these the front row ? if so it makes Heney the blue one ??? aarrgghhh

perhaps the people just arent named correctly

post-3871-1191950550.jpg

I'd go with the red dot. I think Duff is the guy leaning on the cane, far left; there are 9 in the 'front' row - finishing with Pope at the end, upright, with the cane at an odd angle. Major Boyd (I think) is the buffer with the walrus moustache, far left.

so number one is the back row ??

No. I'm going with number 2 on your list being number 1, with number 9 being the bloke upright, with the cane sticking out to our right. Afraid my tecchie skills won't allow adding the numbers!

like this ? and my skills arent that great either!

post-3871-1192026025.jpg

I think I would say that the Red dot is Henry and that the counting of the front row would start with the chap with the walking stick askew. Also if the counting on the front row started with the chap with the moustache then that would make the young looking lad (number 4 on the photo sent by Coldstreamer) Lt. Colonel Brand DSO MC, which to me does not seem likely.

Id go with that - he does look young to be a Lt Col and the chap with the pale trousers looks the part (number 4 on the amended pic)

why couldnt they stand in a straight line - no drill sgt to sort them out !!

I'm sure it would never happen in the Grenadiers.

perhaps a grenadier took the picture and labelled it.........

If there are only two rows and Heney is the 13th man in the back row - then counting takes me to the chap with the red dot (your original thoughts).

I think what is throwing you off is the chap on the extreme left side. I would say the first chap in the "back" row is the one who is standing with a part of his body behind the man next to him.

It still takes me from left to right to number 13 - your man with the red dot.....

Susan.

perhaps a grenadier took the picture and labelled it.........

.....laughing maniacally...

Another RED Vote !

Sotonmate

like this ? and my skills arent that great either!

The guy on the very far left is being classed as back row. I know for certain because the second guy along from the left (tucked away wearing glasses) is Claude Sutton, have got a multitude of pictures of him at Eton, and he is the second name on the list of the back row too...

Sutton at Eton...

post-18928-1192283959.jpg

I'm also inclined to think that your second go is bang on as I also recognise number 5 (who is also 5th on the list of names from the left) as Jeffrey Holmesdale. I'm sitting here looking at two portraits of him in uniform - you can't see because of the numbers on that but looking at my blown up version of the photo he is also wearing an MC ribbon, which would back this up.

Thanks - seems we got there in the end - much appreciated all

Nice that Alex could identify people in the picture to confirm who was who

Pint and a pie in skindles for all :)

In line with what you were talking about in your email there's a great portrait of Holmesdale wearing all of his medals if you want it.

Alex

yes please - Ill send you a PM