Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major F Davenport R.F.A. DSO, MC

shaymen

Looking for any additional info on this chap. Details of awards and where how killed if possible.

Bl**dy LG has just driven me mad for an hour !!!

Thanks

Glyn

Name: DAVENPORT

Initials: F

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery

Unit Text: "A" Bty. 295th Bde.

Date of Death: 25/09/1917

Awards: D S O, M C

Additional information: Son of Henry Davenport, of Woodcroft, Leek, Staffs; husband of Alice Lee Davenport, of Stansted House, Stansted, Essex.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. F. 39.

Cemetery: YPRES RESERVOIR CEMETERY

Glyn

Awarded DSO, London Gazette #30308, dated 26th September 1917.

Capt. (T./Maj.) Fred Davenport, M.C., R.F.A.

Link to Gazette is Here

Awarded MC, same London Gazette as above.

Capt. (T./Maj.) Fred Davenport, R.F.A.

Link to Gazette is Here

Citation for DSO, London Gazette #30466, dated 9th January 1918.

Capt. (T,/Maj.) Fred Davenport, M.C., R.F.A.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. Under an intensely concentrated and accurate hostile bombardment of his

battery position he superintended the withdrawal of his men to their dug-outs, but on his way back was buried by a shell which destroyed the mess in which he had been compelled to take refuge. The instant he was extricated he reorganised his battery and answered two S.O.S. calls before taking part in an offensive barrage. He conducted the latter with complete success under very difficult conditions, the original orders having been destroyed. It was entirely due to his gallantry and invariable cheer- fulness under fire that the fire of his battery was available during the whole of this critical and important period.

Link to Gazette is Here

Citation for MC, same London Gazette issue as above.

Capt. (T./Maj.) Fred Davenport, D.S.O., R.F.A.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. During an intense hostile bombardment of his battery position, he returned

with volunteers after his detachment had been withdrawn, and extinguished a burning gun-pit containing over 100 rounds of ammunition, setting a splendid example of fearlessness and presence of mind.

Link to Gazette is Here

Hope this helps.

Steve

Steve / Pam

Brilliant, just what I was looking for.

I am also trying to see the link with my village of Stansted as CWGC mentions his wife at Stansted House which was the residence of Lord and Lady Jackson. I assume she may have been employed there.

Thanks again

Glyn

Hi Glyn,

There is some more information on Major Davenport in Chris Sheldon's book, 'Roll of Honour' about the war dead of my town, Leek.

All I can add to this from Chris' research is that Fred was Chairman of Wardleand Davenports Mill in Leek and in addition to his DSO and MC he had also been mentioned in dispatches. He was married with children and lived at Churnet Grange which is between Cheddleton and Basford near Leek.

fred was a wealthy man and left £180000 in his will!

I hope that this helps

Liam

Cheers Liam

Most useful, especially the money bit.

Thanks

Glyn

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - sorry a second time user of GWF so might not have protocol correct.

Major Davenport was commanding A Battery 296 Brigade RFA - my great uncle Capt Percy Westby was his second in command. At the time of his death A Battery were attached to 295 Brigade hence the mix up with the different titles. Westby was also listed as being 295 on the CWGC roll but were happy to put this straight.

Quoting from the war diary of 296 Brigade RFA for Sept 25th 1917"Batteries completed a practice barrage during the day, and carried out registration. Hostile fire was heavy, the enemy resorting to area shoots principally around c22 (slightly N of Weiltje). At 6pm Major F Davenportat DSO, MC, Capt A A Parker, Lt H P Jackson and BSM Heath were killed by a direct hit by an 8inch mortar on A Battery Mess. Capt Whitaker MC (59th Divisional Trench Mortars) assumed temporary command of the BAttery"

Westby was killed on 23 Sept.

I hope that this helps. If you would like further information about what the Battery were doing I can provide this.

Regards

Edward

Further to my last and from the August entry to the War Diary.

The Military Cross has been awarded to Major Davenport, Lt Alcock and Lt Watson in connection with the extraction of a burning ammunition dump in a gun pit at Ronnsoy Wood near Hendicourt or Heudicourt. A Sgt and two Gnrs were awarded a MM in the same citation. In the same month Major Davenport was also mentioned in 35th Div Orders. Unsure of the date of the fire but the WD states that A Battery moved into positions around the wood between 5 7 8 August 1917.

Lt Alcock was killed on 20 August whilst acting as an FOO.

Again if you would like copies ofthe WD pages I am sure that I can get these across to you.

Edward

Edward

Many Thanks for the additional information.

It adds nicely to what I have already found out

Many Thanks.

Glyn

Glyn,

I took a photo of Fred Davenport's grave a couple of years ago. It is not on my PC but I have a hard copy so I could get it scanned for you if you would like one (assuming I can find it ofcourse!)

Liam

Liam

Thanks for the offer mate, but don't go to too much trouble as he only seems to have a very tenuous link to my village.

His wife was detailed on CWGC as living here, still trying to find out why.

Glyn