Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Colonel Raymond John MARKER

Sue Light

This the the CWGC entry for Colonel Raymond Marker:

Raymond John MARKER

He is buried at Gittisham, Devon, near to his family home, but I have strong evidence that he died in France, his wife at his side - from illness rather than wounds I think. He has no overseas death certificate, neither can I find a UK one - it could be that he has a French civil certificate. Is it possible to confirm that this officer died in France and was later repatriated?

Sue

It is certainly possible that he was repatriated as he died before the practice was banned.

I do not have him in my research into repatriated men but he may well be a new one to me. He should be in the Overseas Death list though!

I'll see what I can dig up.

Found him!

He certainly did die in France - at Boulogne - and was then repatriated. Wounded at Ypres 04.11.14

A new name for my research. Thanks, Sue.

This is as stated in his De Ruvigny's entry.

Sue

This doesn't answer your question, but confirms some of what you strongly suspect...

Fallen Officers - The Times Casualty Lists - Tue 17 Nov 1914:

post-2135-1191175789.jpg

Jim

PS - his death appears in the GRO War Deaths Army Officers Indexes, see:

post-2135-1191176412.jpg

That was quick - thanks very much! And he's spent all these years trying to out-do the guru of repatriations!

Sue

Jim

Yes, thanks - I found it afterwards - had originally been looking in the ORs [but don't tell him]

Sue

I am sure there are a few more of them! Usually men who died in the base hospitals just before shipment home.

Nice to have a new one in the book. Well done, Sue.

This might help a little, as he was connected the village of Stansted, by marraige, and I came across some details in the local paper.

Because of his connection to a prominent family from my village, he gets a mention in my book.

An extract from my forthcoming book -

On the 13th November saw the death of Lieutenant Colonel Raymond Marker D.S.O. who was the son in law of Sir Thomas and Lady Jackson of Stansted House and the brother in law of Claude Stewart JACKSON (see October 1917).

Lord Kitchener has lost another of his trusted comrades by the death on November 13th 1914 from wounds received in action. Raymond Marker had been previously decorated with the Legion of Honour by the President of the French Republic, with the approval of the King for gallantry during the operations of the British Forces in the battles between August 21st and 30th 1914.

The first news to arrive back home was that he had been seriously wounded. His left leg had been amputated, and his right arm broken. News filtered back from the front that he was going on as well as can be expected in a French Base Hospital at Boulogne, but he later succumbed to his wounds.

For his services in the Great War he was mentioned in Sir John French’s dispatches of the 8th October, 1914, and the 14th January 1915. His wounds were received when he was hit by a shell outside the reporting centre of the 1st Army Corps at Ypres on 4th November 1914.

He married the daughter of Sir Thomas and Lady Jackson in 1906 and left a son Richard Raymond born on 18th June, 1908.

His details are as follows – Colonel Raymond John Marker, General Staff, Died of Wounds 13th November 1914 aged 47. He is buried at Gittasham Churchyard, Devon.

Hope this helps.

Glyn

And here's a pic of him

Glyn

post-5500-1191241101.jpg

Thanks Glyn

Actually my interest in him is only as a tiny addition to some work I'm doing. I found mention of his name, and that of his wife in a nursing document I'm transcribing, but got irritated because for some time I couldn't read the surname, so didn't know who he was - it was one of those things that didn't really matter to me - I could have cut that bit - but the more difficulty I had reading the name, the more I wanted to get it right! Eventually a friend suggested 'Marker' and it all fell into place. At least tracking him down has proved to be of some use to Terry. I shall definitely add a footnote about him now.

Sue

Another coldstream thread not found by the search tool !!

recorded in the coldstream history as a fomer coldstream officer - died of wounds . Served on staff prior to ww1 as Lt Col - AA and AMG , 1st army 5.8.14 to 11.11.14

Another coldstream thread not found by the search tool !!

Probably because the word 'coldstream' was not in the thread (only on an attachment), well not until you mentioned it B)

• 5 months later...

i know this is an old thread but I just wanted to say.... this forum: what a marvellous resource for information.

I'm a bookdealer and I got 'sidetracked' by the personalised book plate pasted in to the volume I was working on. That of Raymond J Marker.

The badges (as well as the fact it was a military book sent with the compliments of the publisher) helped start me off. The info on this thread helped 'match' it all up. I can guess that the house illustrated in the plate could be Stansted. I can only wonder where 'festina lente' comes from as a motto and if there's any significance to the tiny mouse drawn.

....adds absolutely no value to the volume but it's tremendously satisfying to be able to build up so much information on who once owned and read what is sitting on your desk. For me, anyway.

Thanks!

welcome

its not bad for info.... :)

• 9 years later...

I passed by Gittisham at the weekend and here is his gravestone for anyone who needs it

All the best

Rob

Marker RJ.JPG

Marker RJ2.JPG