Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Odyssey Re-enactors and Militaira show this weekend

Max Poilu

Keep an eye out for a guy driving a 1970s British weapons carrier and its pulling a trailor. His name is Sean Ryan from Clonoulty. He's English but lives beside me here in Tipperary. Say hello from me!!

Enjoy the fest guys and gals.

Regards.

Tom Burnell

I'll be there, attached to the 10th Essex - by dint of being the only member of my group (The Vickers Machine Gunners Society) deciding to go, I have been made "British MG commander" and thus am responsible for and in charge of a live firing Vickers for the three days... :ph34r:

Hi Andrew,

Why is this? - looking at the list on the MO website there are hardly any 14-18 groups...

:unsure:

It's a bit confusing really, since our group is listed (VMGS), but I'm the only one taking part actually as VMGS, but the 10th Essex (who will be there in force) aren't listed at all. There are also apparently going to be a number of WW1 Germans present who aren't listed either. Suffice to say, despite the fact that WW1 looks like it will only be present in small numbers, we're actually fielding quite a force (we even have a ruined French/Belgian village to assault!).

Anyhow, probably the last post for me on the subject, packing and long drive tomorrow!

Ok, enjoy it - pity the guys who are sitting in their dugouts already - it hasn't stopped raining now for about 3 days solid down this way... :rolleyes:

Looking forward to it. I will be there Saturday and will doubtless come along to say hi to the 10th Essexa and Andrew.

I hear it is also on tommorrow, so dont forget guys, seek out Sean Ryan and say hello feom Tom Burnell.

I would be very greateful.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Went today visited Soren and had a good chat also had a few words with Andrew nice to see you guys again. See attached photo of Andrew.

John

post-1365-1188157289.jpg

I went on the Saturday.

Really enjoyed it, thought the WW1 renactment was fantastic, highlight for me was seeing the Lanc fly past.

I wanted to get myself a Lee Enfield No.4, but wasn't prepared to be ripped off - but I did get a silent picket :)

Thanks for the pictures, an excellent event, great weather (very hot on the Saturday, but a nice breeze on Sunday and Monday worked wonders!). This was the first year that the 10th Essex have appeared, and we were awarded the prize for the best interactive group during the final parade, which made all the hard work very worthwhile.

It was great fun working with the Vickers over the three days - I now have the joke of being "cursed" as I was the only person to get the full 125 rounds of blank out of it with no problems on the Saturday - on the Sunday, it eventually got stuck firing on single shots, and so Graham who was working the gun at the time had to physically crank and fire off some 40 or so rounds of .303 by hand, and on the Monday the lock stuck part way through extracting a round after getting through about 70 rounds. Despite removing the lock and taking out the unfired rounds to try and sort the problem, I couldn't get it going again. In typical fashion, after looking at it for 5 minutes, the armourer then solved the problem in about 30 seconds :rolleyes: . One lesson learned anyhow!

It was good to meet assorted GWF members, other reenactors in uniform and civies, and the public themselves - had a long chat with an older gent on the Monday who'd trained on the Vickers in the 1950's which was very interesting, and again picked up a few facts to remember.