Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Battalion, Northants Regiment at Aubers Ridge

nickshort

Hello All -- This is my first post, so bear with me! I am trying to do some research on my Great Uncle Will, who was killed at the Battle of Aubers Ridge on May 9, 1915. His details are -

Private William Darker

2nd Battalion, Northamptonshire Regiment

Service Number 13075

Died on May 9, 1915

I know from his Army records he arrived in France on March 25, 1915, and that he was aged around 25 when he was killed. But this is just about the limit of my knowledge.

I'd be interested in finding out the Battalion's movements during 1914 and 195, but specifically in the period from March to May 1915.

If anyone could give me some pointers, I would be hugely grateful. many thanks in advance and all the best,

Nick Short

24th bde, 8th Division. There's a very good divisional history (I'll look it up this evening unless someone else does first) - I believe it's available as a reprint these days.

There are one or two Northants-heads on the Forum, so you never know....

Welcome, by the way.

Hello Nick

The 2nd Northants War Diary is available at the NA under catalogue reference: WO 95/ 1722 and the extracts from March to May 1915 can be ordered online from here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...;accessmethod=5

It shouldn't cost too much.

The 2nd Northants were part of the 24th Brigade of the 8th Division and the outline of their movements can be followed here:

http://www.1914-1918.net/8div.htm

Regards

Mel

Hello Nick

The 2nd Northants War Diary is available at the NA under catalogue reference: WO 95/ 1722 and the extracts from March to May 1915 can be ordered online from here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...;accessmethod=5

It shouldn't cost too much.

The 2nd Northants were part of the 24th Brigade of the 8th Division and the outline of their movements can be followed here:

http://www.1914-1918.net/8div.htm

Regards

Mel

Thanks very much for this. What a quick response! I think I am going to enjoy being a member here. Incidentally, my brother and I are travelling to France in the morning to visit the site of the battle. I feel strangely sad considering I never obviously knew the man. However, I did know his wife, my Great Aunt Annie, who married him in 1913 when she (and he for that matter) was 23, and was widowed two years later. She lived until 1976 and never remarried. I remember her when I was a boy as a lovely and friendly old lady. I had no idea then of what she had gone through and - like many of us probably - now wish I had taken the chance to talk to her about her memories while I could.

Again, thanks to all for their help.

Chris Baker has also added a good precis and brief analysis of Aubers with some maps on our parent site HERE

Have a good trip. The ground around Neuve Chapelle, Aubers and Festubert is wonderfully understated and worth a detailed wander. Try to make it to Le Touret Cemetary. As Chris points out many of the missing from Aubers are commemorated there and it's a beautiful place.

SMJ

I'd second that. I was there in May with another Forum member: one of the most impressive battlefields I've seen, and the le Touret memorial is excellent.

Chris Baker has also added a good precis and brief analysis of Aubers with some maps on our parent site HERE

Have a good trip. The ground around Neuve Chapelle, Aubers and Festubert is wonderfully understated and worth a detailed wander. Try to make it to Le Touret Cemetary. As Chris points out many of the missing from Aubers are there and it's a beautiful place.

SMJ

Simon -- Many thanks. That is an excellent and very helpful site. I have printed it off and it will be accompanying us to France tomorrow. Thanks also for the tip about Le Touret Cemetery. My Great Uncle is actually commemorated at the PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL, but I will certainly also now visit Le Touret. Although I have done some research on the battle I still feel woefully unprepared. I wonder if there is an expert historian/tour company that would do a tailored visit with me at some time? Interesting thought, but for now it's off to France in the morning. We also plan to visit the Menin Gate, of course, for the Last Post ceremony.

Best,

Nick Short

Le Touret - June 2007

post-16790-1187279517.jpg

SMJ

Hello All -- This is my first post, so bear with me! I am trying to do some research on my Great Uncle Will, who was killed at the Battle of Aubers Ridge on May 9, 1915. His details are -

Private William Darker

2nd Battalion, Northamptonshire Regiment

Service Number 13075

Died on May 9, 1915

I know from his Army records he arrived in France on March 25, 1915, and that he was aged around 25 when he was killed. But this is just about the limit of my knowledge.

I'd be interested in finding out the Battalion's movements during 1914 and 195, but specifically in the period from March to May 1915.

If anyone could give me some pointers, I would be hugely grateful. many thanks in advance and all the best,

Nick Short

Really interested as I am trying to trace the battalion of the Northants regiment that my great uncle Frank Pollard , 16790, belonged to. I know at some point he transferred to 13th bttn The Rifle Brigade and died thus on 23/08/1918 but keep coming up against brick walls as to his earlier service. If you come across him in your research, please let me know. Cheers, Elaine

Tea is calling but I've got all the 2nd battalion WD downloads, so don't spend your money!

Back soon!

Steve.

Nick,

E-mail me via the Forum and I shall send you the War Diaries for March to May 1915. Also, the battalion history for Aubers Ridge is ready to go if you want it.

Steve.

Steve

You are an endless resource!

Could you post the diary entry just for the 9th May?

Given that the Battalion incurred over 400 casualties, including I believe two brothers on the same day, I am sure others would be interested in reading it as well.

Regards

Mel

Trying to coerce me with flattery. It will get you nowhere! Oh, alright then...

2ndNRAubersWDPg1.jpg

2ndNRAubersWDPg2.jpg

2ndNRAubersWDPg3.jpg

2ndNRAubersWDPg4.jpg

2ndNRAubersWDPg5.jpg

2ndNRAubersWDPg6.jpg

2ndNRAubersWDPg7.jpg

Steve.

Steve

Flattery always works :rolleyes:

It always astonishes me how matter of fact war diaries are even in circumstances of catastrophe and mass casualties.

Do you know if Private Lapham received a gallantry award?

Many thanks for the posting.

Regards

Mel

Yes, Lapham and Brightman who are mentioned in the text both got the DCM:

8711 Private William James Lapham

Medal card of Lapham, William James

Corps Regiment No Rank

Northumberland Regiment 8711 Private (a VERY common battalion error with 2nd Battalion men)

Machine Gun Corps 19693 Private

LG 5-8-1915

8711 Private Lapham, W J, 2nd Battalion, Northamptonshire Regiment

For gallant conduct and devotion to duty on the 9th May, 1915, near Rouges Banes, when all communications with the leading companies, who had reached the enemy's parapet, 350 yards distant, was lost, Private Lapham volunteered to carry a message to them, although the intervening ground was so swept by machine-gun fire that the companies could not be supported. He successfully carried out his mission, and, in addition, collected valuable information.

(Reported as wounded in Times of 18-2-1915 as Private with 1st or 2nd Battalion - probably 2nd)

8561 Sergeant Frank Brightman

Medal card of Brightman, Frank

Corps Regiment No Rank

2nd Northamptonshire Regiment 8561 Private

Labour Corps 620208 Warrant Officer Class 2

LG 5-8-1915

8561 Sergeant Brightman, F. 2nd Battalion, Northamptonshire Regiment

For conspicuous gallantry and ability on the 9th May, 1915, near Rouges Banes, when he advanced with his Company under a very heavy machine gun fire. When nearly all the Company were casualties, on his own initiative he collected about 20 men, and with great courage and determination advanced and established himself on the enemy's parapet, remaining there all day. He withdrew after dark, bringing in ten wounded men.

Also MM, LG 14-9-1916 - 8561 Coy. S./M. F. Brightman, North'n R.

(Reported wounded in Times 20-9-1916 as CSM probably with the 7th Btn on 17-20 Aug)

Also awarded the DCM:

9115 Private Thomas Bull

Medal card of Bull, Thomas

Corps Regiment No Rank

2nd Northumberland Regiment 9115 Private (There goes that error again)

Labour Corps 24009 Private

LG 5-8-1915

9115 Private Bull, T. 2nd Battalion, Northamptonshire Regiment

For conspicuous gallantry and determination on the 9th May, 1915, near Rouges Banes. Private Bull was one of a party of five who established themselves, with an Officer, on the German parapet, and he was the only bomb thrower there. He several times, whilst under heavy fire, stood, up and stepped to a flank, to throw his bombs with greater effect. When the Germans threw fuze bombs, he seized them, and threw back before they had time to explode. He was the only survivor of the five men.

8487 Corporal W Dunmore

Medal card of Dunmore, William

Corps Regiment No Rank

Northumberland Regiment 8487 Corporal (Anybody noticing a pattern here...)

Royal Engineers 107406 Corporal Acting Serjeant

LG 5-8-1915

8487 Corporal Dunmore, W. 2nd Battalion, Northamptonshire Regiment

For gallant conduct and ability on the 9th May, 1915, near Rouges Banes, in continually repairing the telephone line between Brigade Headquarters and Advance Report Centre under a very heavy fire. The report centre of which Corporal Dunmore was in charge was knocked over by shells and the instruments buried, but he continued to work the telephone communication successfully under the most trying conditions.

8718 Private Archibald L Goodman

Medal card of Goodman, Archibald

Corps Regiment No Rank

2nd Northumberland Regiment 8718 Private

2nd Northumberland Regiment 8718 Serjeant

LG 5-8-1915

8718 Private Goodman, A. L. 2nd Battalion, Northamptonshire Regiment

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty as a stretcher bearer in searching for and bringing in wounded under heavy fire. When one portion of a trench was being vacated, owing to intense artillery fire, he went out in front of this trench, and brought in a wounded officer of his battalion, carrying him over 100 yards.

Steve.

He's slowing down. No map yet and it's 8:30pm

:ph34r:

SMJ

Sorry, Map Room is second door on the left.....

William Darker's enlistment date will be 2nd September 1914 in all likelihood.

Ancestry has records online for a Frank Darker (2nd Northamptons in the 1900s, but discharged at start of WW1) and Sidney Darker (Northamptonshire Yeomanry)

Aubers Ridge was rightly a disaster for the Northamptonshire Regiment. 1st battalion took 541 OR casualties (killed/wounded/missing), 2nd battalion 426. Both lost most of their officers. 2nd battalion had lost nearly the same amount of men in March at Neuve Chappelle (414).

Steve.

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry, Map Room is second door on the left.....

William Darker's enlistment date will be 2nd September 1914 in all likelihood.

Ancestry has records online for a Frank Darker (2nd Northamptons in the 1900s, but discharged at start of WW1) and Sidney Darker (Northamptonshire Yeomanry)

Aubers Ridge was rightly a disaster for the Northamptonshire Regiment. 1st battalion took 541 OR casualties (killed/wounded/missing), 2nd battalion 426. Both lost most of their officers. 2nd battalion had lost nearly the same amount of men in March at Neuve Chappelle (414).

Steve.

Steve -- This is my first visit to the forum since my trip to France last month with my brother and I just wanted to thank you very much for posting the War Diary of the 2nd Battalion of the Northants Regiment for the Battle of Aubers Ridge. It makes fascinating (and sad) reading and throws a lot of light for me as to what happened to my Great Uncle. We succeeded in finding the battlefield quite easily and walked the fields where we believe the trench lines were.

I felt immensely sad for Will, and can only contemplate with utter horror what he must have gone through in the minutes before being order over the top. The poor ****** was only 25 and - I assume - would never have left England other than with the Army.

You said in one of your posts that you thought he would have enlisted in September 1914. I'd love to know your thinking behind this. Is there any way I could find documentary evidence supporting this possibility?

I am interested in anything relating to the Northants Regiment in the First World War, of course, and particularly the Second Battalion. Other than looking at the War Diary in the National Archives, is there anywhere else you would recommend me doing some research?

Thanks once again for your very helpful responses and kind regards,

Nick Short

PS. I am attaching a picture of Will Darker taken, I believe, around the time of his marriage in 1913. He would be 23 here.

post-24408-1189419230.jpg