Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Britsh War Marriages

mastermindmichel

Good evening all,

A few questions on several things mentioned in a book I am reading.

I am currently reading Kluivenduikers Doedeldans by Willem van Iependaal (Amsterdam 1937).

Van Iependaal, a Dutchman living and working in the UK in 1914-5 wrote this novel based on his own experiences after he volunteered for the British army in 1915 and joined the Scottish 4th Regiment of the South African Infantry. His book is one of the very few First World War novels by a Dutch eyewitness, possibly even the only one.

Eventually his unit is shipped to Flanders, and posted at Ypres. Here he is an eyewitness to the horrors of war, getting wounded twice and supposedly having suffered a gas attack.

Can't tell just yet what his experiences are yet, as I have only just started to read the book.

According to one of my sources on the writer, http://www.wereldoorlog1418.nl/antimilitarisme/#iependaal, Van Iependaal, was never very informative about this period in his life. Things he wanted to share he wrote down in a few poems and in this novel, Kluivenduikers Doedeldans.

Anyway, my questions:

(1) While being trained in the UK, the main character learns that one of his 'mates' has gotten married over the weekend to a woman he doesn't know and can't even remember. The same thing, the mate continues, happened to "Hollington of the 3rd"; his superiors were trying to find out what happened.

Another soldier then tells the main character that when soldiers go on leave, they arrive at Waterloo station and are immediately mobbed by "hundreds of girls" literally begging the soldiers "to go steady", after which they get the soldiers drunk and marry them in the nearest church. Formalities are hardly necessary, since "there is a war on". "As long as you have legs to walk or to crawl to the altar, everything will be taken care of."

The reason for this, according to the soldier, is that marrying a militairy man for these women is a sound investment. Not only do these women get (part of) the soldier's pay; if the soldiers dies, the 'wife' gets a pension for life.

Is this or could this be a true story?

(2) In the barracks is a sign, put up by the men, which reads:

"Our Lord is awful busy,

Blesses rifles, shells and guns.

With one hand He blesses British,

With the other hand the Huns!"

[a] Is this 'poem' known to anyone on this forum?

Would (British or South African) officers allow such a sign to be put up by soldiers?

Your input will be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance!

Never came across it. Quite possible in the 'big smoke' I assume, but I've never heard of this mass effort to snare squaddies.

Can't help with your question, but The "Hollington from the 3rd" caught my attention for obvious reasons.

A James Francis Hollington served with the 4th at least, source CWGC.

Let me know how you the book goes.

Regards

Ali

I was of the opinion and have some evidence that marriages were carried out under special licence bacause banns could not be read in a timely manner. It would be unlikely to be able to be married without some church authority I feel.

Roop

Don't know the poem but the theme is similar to this one, often quoted but author unknown.

GOD HEARD THE NATIONS

God heard the nations, scream and sing and shout ...

Gott strafe England! God save the King!

And God this, and God that, and God the other thing.

"Good God!" said God. "I've got my work cut out."

cheers Martin B

It's by John Collings Squire, Martin. I quoted it in one of the poetry threads somewhere here.

Squire was born in Plymouth, England on April 2 1882 and died in Rushlake Green in Sussex, England on Dec. 20 1958. He was a leading poet of the Georgian school, a journalist, playwright, and an influential critic and editor. He was educated at Blundell's School and then at Cambridge University (St. John's College). He was appointed literary editor of the New Statesman in 1913, and acting editor in 1917.

From the "old poetry" website.

Gracias, Grace

cheers Martin B

Mates,

I never heard that English girls were giving it away but there are accounts of this type of thing in many AIF accounts during their stay in the UK.

Large numbers of AIF soldiers did get married during the war although most tied the knot post war, 1919 was a good year for it.

But Having served in the Former Yugoslavia like I surpose many of you blokes I saw it there of young Crotian or Bosnian girls putting out trying to get a husband to get out of there.

That time it was not money but to leave the country and go to a better place like the UK, USA and Australia where we already have a large slav population.

Now I work with the disabled and elderly here in aussie and the old blokes and women tell me that there are many women who try to get on to an ex vetern because they (unlike the British system) have the best free medical and other beifits like a very nice pension and (if like me) you also have some Vet affairs disablity pension on top of that, it can be a tidy some each fortnight and when the vetern dies this goes to his widdow or nominee.

Cheers

S.B

To MMM and Ali (Hollington)

Fascinating topic. I will be sure to draw Hollington's file when I am next in Pretoria. Who knows, possibly there is a titbit or two about his marriage, or otherwise, in there.

Once done I'll pass on the juicy details to Forumites. This doesn't answer your initial question but it could give Ali some dope of which she is unaware as well as verifying your author's account as well.

Regards

Rory

To Rory SA

Just to add, James Francis Hollington had previously served in the Royal Navy leaving before the war. He died on 25/10/1918 in the UK. His regimental number was 20058.

Regards

Alistair