Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

medical abbreviation ICT

edstanton

Grandfather on the Western Front in 1917 is recorded as being hospitalised for 17 days due to "I.C.T. L. knee". This I understand was abbreviation for "inflammation connecting tissue left knee".

What sort of conditions did that abbreviation cover? It sounds like a fairly minor illness - but he was a fair time in hospital and he wrote home at the time about a "leg wound" suggesting something more serious like a flesh wound.

The War Diary for his Pioneer Regiment does list one casualty the day he went to hospital. If it was illness due to the hard work that caused hospitalisation, would that still have been reported as a casualty?

Grateful any enlightenment.

Ed Stanton

Separating the bones of the knee are pads of connective tissue called menisci. The menisci are two crescent-shaped discs (each called a meniscus) positioned between the tibia and femur on the outer and inner sides of each knee. The two menisci in each knee act as shock absorbers, cushioning the lower part of the leg from the weight of the rest of the body as well as enhancing stability.

A common site of injury for athletes and soldiers. Especially wearing hard soled boots, carrying heavy loads over uneven ground.

Mick

Ed,

The medical history of the great war explains that I.C.T. was a general term for suppurating skin diseases (Pyodermia), caused mainly due to parasitic disease, but did not include scabies. This was extremely common among soldiers in the Great War due to the dirty conditions they had to live in.

Charlie

Thats interesting, Ive never seen that abbreviation before, the only other one near to it I thought about was Impetigo Contagiosa. What does the full abbreviation stand for?

Mick

Ed, could you recheck the original record please? Is the word 'connecting' or is it 'connective', which is what I would expect.

Thanks

Robert

Sorry I'm still a bit confused about this. Thats the explanation of the abbreviation Ed put forward. I wonder how suppurating comes into it.

Mick

ICT = Inflammation of the Connective Tissue.

Charlie

In the context of the left knee, connective tissue could mean tendon, ligament, cartilage and muscle. Inflammation could therefore cover tendonitis, rheumatism or anything to do with a general knee injury; might even just be fluid on the knee

In that case I wonder what heading the problems I noted above and mikebriggs mentioned come into, they involve connective tissue but probably aren't suppurating.

Mick

Thanks for input on this.

The term "inflammation" seems to point towards the meniscus explanation proposed. However I've rechecked grandfathers letters and he refers not only to a "leg wound" but also to "its not quite healed up yet , but nearly" which fits more with a suppurating wound.

Only puzzle I'm left with is whether he would officially be recorded as a casualty if the wound was caused not by enemy action but by the work he was doing. What conditions had to be fulfilled to be listed in a War Diary as a casualty?

Tks Ed

On the army form B 104-82B sent to my great grandmother informing her of her husband's death in Hospital in July 1919 (from wound recieved 1918) the cause of death is given as:

"Inflamation of the Connective Tissue, Buttock"

My assumption had always been that this would be some sort of gangrene / septicemia - certainly as it is given as a cause of death I would assume it covers more than scabies, or water on the knee.

Chris

Chris,

If you follow the link in my earlier post and click on Ecthyma and look at the complications that are listed, gangrene is indeed a possibility.

Charlie

Chris,

If you follow the link in my earlier post and click on Ecthyma and look at the complications that are listed, gangrene is indeed a possibility.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie,

I am not sure I understood all of it but I'm glad I had my lunch before I read it!

Chris

I've also seen this abbreviation as meaning "Injury to Connective Tissue", which could include such things as knee cartilege injuries, torn ligaments, etc.-- basically "bunged up knee" in this case. Doc2

• 3 years later...

Hello There

I received the archived material of a relative who served in the CEF. The transcripts from Ottawa include information on his medical reports. I am having touble decipering the language. Could someone help?

He injured his arm in Vimy Ridge I think.

He was admitted to the 6th CAIO(?) depot

then to the 7 Can, Gen. at Etaples

then to 6th Conone(?) Depot in Etaples

then to the Can. Spec. Whitley ( is this a specialty hospital?)

Some casualties were coded are the casualty codes available somewhere?

he was classifed a "B2" ( I.C.T.arm)

Thanks for your help

Jane

Jane

7th Canadian General Hospital and 6th Convalescent Depot. You can see the site of the latter using google maps. Go to Etaples and find Avenue du Blanc Pavé where it joins Avenue Francois Mitterand. Across the other side of the road stood the convalescent depot, roughly from Alle de l'Eolienne. towards Rue Marcel Rosey. To find 7th Canadian General, go to the opposite end of Avenue du Blanc Pavé where it joins the traffic island at the D940. The hospital occupied the corner plot spreading northwards.

TR

• 5 years later...

I am trying to read an abbreviation to a wound on my relatives record. The abbreviation is hard to read. It could be Adn wd slight, Adm? Gdm? Idw? The d seems clear, and an n or w or m to end. Any ideas?

Abdominal?

• 1 month later...

For your interest, I have attached my Great-uncle's pension assessment WW1 which includes ICT injuries to his knees and also mentions scars from ICT, contracted whilst a POW in 1918,  He was assessed as 20% disabled.

British Army WWI Pension Records 19141920-2.jpg

Inflammation of connective tissue?

Edit: Ooops - misread - thought this was a new query.

Edited by Ian Riley

• 2 months later...
Guest SteveChase

My Grandfather was a Doctor in WW1 France and his letters contain:

"still dealing with large numbers of boils & I.C.T.'s etc."

"we are getting minor cases just now _ I.C.T., hernias etc but it keeps us occupied."

So I would opine that they were common and rarely fatal.

Ed Stanton: In hospital summary reports, they made no distinction as to combat vs. other kinds of injuries.