Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medical History/Discharge/Pension ...Help!

waspexile

Not sure this is in the right thread but closest I could find......

Taken the plunge and been to the NA for the first time today and managed to get the Medical History, Discharge and Pension papers for my family member Pte Edgar Jefferies.

Next problem, what do all the abbreviations mean?

Is there a book or a site or an expert who is good at interpreting all these bits and pieces? I was in a rush to go and couldnt hang around to ask the assistants. I dont want to bore anyone with loads of it and my camera is not up to taking a picture that close and dont have a scanner yet.

But for instance what does a pension of 13/9 over 26 CLB mean and when in hospital what is T.A.B over 1?

Thanks!

David

David

The 13/9 over 26 is the princely sum of 13s 9d awarded on a conditional basis for a period of 26 weeks to men discharged for medical reasons (wounds or sickness) who were deemed to be able to secure gainful employment within six months of the date of discharge (hence, the conditional provision).

It can sometimes be found annotated on the SWB Rolls.

regards

Mel

Thanks Mel,

I'd sort of got to that conclusion after a few days of staring at it.

His pension goes up twice within a year, after further exams until eventually he his 100% incapable, 3 weeks before he dies.

It looks like he caught TB after going into hospital in England, which is what finished him off.

I am amazed at the detail of the reports, bearing in mind it was all done by hand and in presumably sometimes in very difficult circumstances. How many people were employed in the Medical Corps and admin generally? Must have been thousands.