Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Civilian volunteer unit badge

Michael Pegum

Can anyone identify this badge/these badges? The photo is in photogravure, so the dots show up on enlargement.

This man, Frank Browning, was not, and never had been, in the Army. He was 2 i/c, under a Major, of a civilian volunteer unit called the 1st Dublin Battalion of the Irish Association of Volunteer Training Corps. The volunteers were men below or above military age, or unfit for service. They carried out military manoeuvres in training, and carried rifles. There is some doubt about whether they all wore uniforms, or civilian clothes with arm-bands. They did have a cap-badge, with the letters “G.R.” on it. Browning was killed, with several of his men, in the Easter Rising in Dublin, 1916.

Also, does anyone know if the National Archives in Kew would have records of such a unit and, if so, in what category should I search?

Michael

post-3328-1176570382.jpg

post-3328-1176570572.jpg

Thanks, this is the same unit, though this must have been an unofficial name. There is a great deal more information about Browning at:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...amp;hl=Browning

where I showed photos of his grave, which I had discovered almost totally overgrown.

My problem is that the cap badge he is wearing in the photo is not that of the unit, which was simply the letters "G.R", for Georgius Rex.

Does anyone know what it was?

Michael