Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rugby School

freddy1918

Thank you very much Freddy.

Hopefully you've got my PM now (I'm new to this so please bear with me).

You and everyone I've encountered here are very helpful and kind to strangers.

VicMill

Freddy

Is there anything on the survivors from the school?

Thanks Hambo

Freddy

Thanks Hambo

Hambo, I've got periodic lists of those on active service... who are you looking for?

Freddy

Anything for 2Lt John Lamb, 179th Tunnelling Company RE?

Many thanks

Simon

Freddy

Thanks Hambo

Freddy

Do you have anything on the following?

J.H. Baring

J.M. Du Buisson

T.G. Du Buisson

R.A.B Orlebar

G.H. Power

All of the above went to Rugby according to my source, anything like houses, time at the school etc

Many thanks

John

• 2 weeks later...

Anything on Thomas Pillans Ward, 8th Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment, attached 7th Battalion Northamptonshire, missing presumed dead on 31st July 1917, please?

TPWardObitPA18-8-17.jpg

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, sorry for stupid delay in info... have been busy on stage and now about to head off out of the country...

Here's John Lamb..

Younger son of the Rev John Lamb, Rector of Blofield, Norfolk; fellow of Gonville College and Cauis, Cambridge

His mother was Emily, later Mrs Peter Hansell of Wroxham, Norfolk

Entered Rugby 1894, left 1897 - Michell House

Trained as an Engineer in Cornwall; went to Rhodesia in 1902 where he worked for four years

Moved on to Jo'burg, gaining, whilst on the Nourse Mine, certs in sampling and Surveying

1909 he returned ot Rhodesia and, after working in various mines in Matabeleland and Mashonaland became manager of the Kimberley Reefs Gold Mining Co in 1914

Resigned his position in 1917 (Jan) to return to England and join the forces Crossed to France in July that year

Was standing by his dug-out on OCt 17th 1917 a shell hit him and he died the same day at a Casualty Clearing Station.

His Captain wrote:

"Above all he kept smiling, which, believe me, is a great thing in this war No matter how bad things might be, he was always cheerful and willing He was a thorough sportsman, and that, I think, is the highest compliment that one Englishman can pay to another"

He married at Bulawayo, Aug 1914, Muriel, elder daughter of Sir Bourchier Wrey, and left a son and a daughter.

post-18928-1185303015.jpg

Freddy

Thank you very much, I really appreciate it and it was well worth the wait.

Regards

Simon

Ward:

Eldest son of the Rev Thomas Ward; pricipal of St Peter's College, Peterborough and Rector of Alwalton

Entered Rugby on a scholarship in 1910 and left in 1915 with a scholarship for Kings, Cambridge in History and Classics

Joined the 8th Northamptonshire straight away and after a course at Hythe was sent to 28th Training Reserve Batt as Instructor in Musketry

June 1917, after repeatedly appealing to be sent abroad he was sent to 7th Batt

He was reported missing in his first engagment, 31st July 1917

post-18928-1185303914.jpg

I've spent an hour trying to resize these pictures so if they are a couple of pixels too large then sorry, but I was losing the will to live.

Freddy

Hambo

Your survivors:

Baring: Entered Rugby in 1900 Payne-Smith's house, looks like he spent the duration of his war in Salonika

Only one of the Du Boisson's is there; T.G - Twice wounded S.Hutchinson's house as of 1905; already serving in the army when war commenced.

Orlebar - Same house as Du Boisson, as of 1908. BEF then later Salonika

Power - is down as E.G.H. Power on the list, again spent the duration in Salonika; already in the army, Whitelaw's house as of 1901

Freddy

No problem with the large pic at all, Freddy.

Many thanks.

Steve.

Thanks Freddy very useful.

I'm in a position to let you have the details of the boys who went to Eton from Hazelwood Prep School if you send me your email I'll send it over

Regards John

Thanks John,

Will send it over

Freddy :rolleyes:

• 2 years later...

Freddy,

I'm researching the 11th Bn South Lancs. I believe there are two officers of the Bn in Rugby RoH. They are:

2/Lt Eric Osborne Champion (one of 3 brothers)

Lt G H Walker

I would very much appreciate photo and biog for each if possible. Also any other 11/SLR chaps.

thanks

Dave Risley

You may not have noticed that it is over two years since this thread was active. You might do better with Dick Flory's generous service, offered on another long-running thread.