Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Royal Munster Fusiliers missing at Etreux 27-8-14

Stebie9173

There are a fair few people researching soldiers present at the rearguard at Etreux on 27th August 1914, so having finally traced my own relative to a list of the missing, I thought I would post the list here.

From the Times of 21st October 1914.

Munstersmissingheading.jpg

MunsterFusiliersMissingTimes21-1-1.png

MunsterFusiliersMissingTimes21-1-2.png

MunsterFusiliersMissingTimes21-1-3.png

MunsterFusiliersMissingTimes21-1-4.png

MunsterFusiliersMissingTimes21-1-5.png

The list above also contains Lancashire Fusiliers missing, but is predominantly RMF.

It is only supposition that all these men were missing at Etreux, but the names of many men who died at Etreux on 27th August 1914 are on the list, and the 2nd RMF, having been all but wiped out, were not in combat again before late October 1914.

(Note that the first pic is a composite to attach the headings to the article)

Steve.

Thanks for this Steve, I will be able to compare it to the list published in the 'Cork Examiner' of October 1914.

I have been doing some research on this group of 682, presumably the Etreux lads, and have managed to identify most of them as POWs from newspaper reports, or as dead from SDITGW, but still have about 85 as yet unaccounted for.

• 2 years later...

Could someone answer me a beginners question about the format of the report on missing soldiers above? Does the letter after Pte. represent their initial or is it their company? My great grandfather is listed on the CWG as in the Connacht Rangers and some of the gents on one of those threads have really helped me. He died of injuries in Dublin in Jan 1915 and his number corresponds to someone who joined the Connacht Rangers in Dec 1914 so I'm trawling through any actions that my GGF may have fought in regardless of regiment in case he fought under a different number previous to this. I've come across this reference below and I'd like to know if I can eliminate it from my search. My GGF is listed as joining up in Cork which would make sense to join the RMF rather than the Connacht Rangers.

I would be grateful for any help.

Tim.

Condon 2925 Pte. W. R Munster Fus. (I think its 2925 although the first digit is hazy)

It is his initial.

In this case Number 9925*, Private W. (William) Condon, Royal Munster Fusiliers.

* The type is very small. It is a "9" in the number, not a "2"

Steve.

Thanks Steve,

Can I ask you in your research have you ever come across any Bn listings for the 2nd RMF where I could search for a name in Aug 1914 or if you know where I could get my hands on any recruitment records for Cork City for the RMF. I read from the St. Patricks Parish that there was a lot of recruitment in Blackpool. My GGF would have lived up by Collins Barracks which would have been close.

Thanks for your help.

Tim.

Thanks Steve,

Can I ask you in your research have you ever come across any Bn listings for the 2nd RMF where I could search for a name in Aug 1914 or if you know where I could get my hands on any recruitment records for Cork City for the RMF. I read from the St. Patricks Parish that there was a lot of recruitment in Blackpool. My GGF would have lived up by Collins Barracks which would have been close.

Thanks for your help.

Tim.

1914 Star Medal Roll for RMF at TNA Kew is basically a list of all 2RMF who entered action up to 22 Nov 1914 -gives date of entry to theatre of war, original Bn is 13th August 1914 (to end 1915, use 1914-1915 Star roll)

Recruitment statistics exists for Cork in TNA Kew also in Brendan Mac Giolla Choille (ed.), Intelligence notes, 1913-16

For survivors, check out the potential of 1918 Election Absentee Voters roll for Cork - quality of detail varies by county, ie if unit givenor not

The 1911 Ireland Census online is also good (full details for the 2 Bns in Victoria barracks Cork, Fermoy, etc) for family background

Thanks Martin,

that's excellent. I feel a trip to London coming on. I wanted to go over anyway to get a look at the war diaries but if I can track down more info before I go I can get a lot more out of the trip.

Best regards,

Tim.

• 4 years later...