Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"The Trench"

Dave T

Just glancing through the weeks TV guide and noticed that the BBC is re-showing the film The Trench on Monday at 11.35. For anyone who has not seen it previously it is about soldiers waiting to go over the top at the Somme.

Dave

Cheers Dave

I will bookmark this as I missed it when it was on last time

Regards

Andy

post-13272-1170581687.jpg

And the Bloke who plays the Officer is Currently Advertising Credit Cards on the Telly,(Julian Rhind Tutt)

And also you get Paul Nicholls who used to be in East Enders as Billy MacFarlane.Still,not a Bad Film.Amazon are doing it for a Fiver.

Too Sterile !!! was there any body in the front line ??? watch it and you will see what I mean. Thats what you get for making 99% in a studio.

Dont suppose the makers had a lot of Money to splash around..

Its not a real Film Dave,no Animals or Humans were harmed During the Making of The Film. :P

I seem to recall that 'The Trench' was a bit like that docu-drama on Channel 4: very good for the most part, but let down by pretty sterile battle scenes which I don't feel convey the actual experience.

Actually a freezing cold winters day in hertfordshire.

post-13272-1170611056.jpgpost-13272-1170611119.jpgpost-13272-1170611151.jpg

I like all things Great War but it was pretty bland.
It Still Towers Above the Godawful "DEATHWATCH".

Well I'm not at home tomorrow night but it sounds like it's worth recording.

:( That's well past my bedtime on a school night. Looks like i'm never going to see it :(

Stephanie, you make sure that your'e in charge of the video recorder tomorrow!

Tony

Tony,

The film could have been a lot better :( .

Daniel Craig is the only one with any screen presence in the film. Him, the officer, and the Irish boy from 28 Days Later seemed to be the only ones that carried their role off; bar them, I thought the remainder was found wanting. Most of the actors are carrying too much timber for the era, and look un-worked (especially one Scottish guy, who is no stranger to the sweet trolley). The language and swearing seemed too American, and too modern - not only that, but unnecessary. Also, the actors were not very soldierly - especially the cockney LCpl! I didn't think much of the lack of atmosphere that the sets presented. But, I suppose, different strokes for different folks. However, I for one did not enjoy it as much as Regeneration, and was disappointed that a film with so much potential could be so badly done.

Aye

Tom McC

Tony,

The film could be a lot better :( .

Daniel Craig is the only one with any screen presence in the film. Him, the officer, and the Irish boy from 28 Days Later seemed to be the only ones that carried their role off; bar them, the whole thing to me was found wanting. Most of the actors are carrying too much timber for the era, and look un-worked (especially one Scottish guy, who is no stranger to the sweet trolley). The language and swearing seems to be too American, and too modern - not only that, but unnecessary. Also, the actors were not very soldierly - especially the cockney LCpl! I didn't think much of the lack of atmosphere that the sets presented. But, I suppose, different strokes for different folks. However, I for one did not enjoy it as much as Regeneration, and was disappointed that a film with so much potential could be so badly done.

Aye

Tom McC

Thanks Tom,

I am sure they are very useful comments of yours.

I am always very critical myself about a lot of films and with Mr C. taking part I do know more or less what to expect. That is the problem that once you start to know a little about a subject it is very difficult for the film makers to be convincing and also make a proffit.

It will give me a starting point for appreciating films of the GW and I will also be able to put my feet up and take a rest from other things tomorrow night.

Cheers,

Tony

Tony,

You still have to watch the film, just so that you can make your own assessment of it. Considering the amount of literature available on the first world war - especially some of the excellent first hand accounts - I feel it is only a matter of time before a decent, big-production, First World War film comes out.

Here's hoping anyway :)

Aye

Tom McC

Tony,

You still have to watch the film, just so that you can make your own assessment of it. Considering the amount of literature available on the first world war - especially some of the excellent first hand accounts - I feel it is only a matter of time before a decent, big-production, First World War film comes out.

Here's hoping anyway :)

Aye

Tom McC

I'll second that Tom!

I just hope that it doesn't get made in Hollywood though.

Tony

I'll second that Tom!

I just hope that it doesn't get made in Hollywood though.

Tony

But "decent, big-production" = Hollywood in the majority of cases. I'm not critical of this, it's just a matter of fact. And to get Holllywood money, it has to be based on the American experience. Simple, really.

I always thought that a good example of this were the three books "The Longest Day", "A Bridge Too Far" and "The Last Battle" by Cornelius Ryan. The first two were made into films; the last (actually his 2nd book), was about the Battle for Berlin. No direct American involvement = no film.

As I say, that's not criticism, it's just the way it is.

I dont know how true it is ??? but I have heard that Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings , King Kong) I also a big "Great War" Buff ? And there is talk of making a big budget First War Movie ?? Like I say I dont know how true it is ?? But I wait with anticipation......

• 1 year later...

Mo,

Has there been any more news on Peter Jackson's plans? I think he is the kind of film-maker that can do the subject justice. In the meanwhile, we have the Canadian film about Passchendaele to look forward to; and I mean it when I say, I am looking forward to it.

Aye

Tom McC

Seen a bit of info about Passchendele film and must say looks impressive and think this def going to be a definate hit and as realistic as can get. Just hope we get it over here on DVD soon after its release.

On subject of The Trench i agree it was pretty stale in parts and lacking reality but fairly well acted and a good try. On another note would a Sergeant really share same dugout with an officer?

Wayne