Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tyne Cot Cemetery original register

Aurel Sercu

I wonder if somebody who may have the original register of Tyne Cot Cemetery could help me.

For my information on cemeteries that post Armistice were moved to larger (concentration) cemeteries I rely on Michael Scott, "The Ypres Salient", as he took his information from the original registers (though I'm not sure (yet) how consequent and complete he was in that).

I have a specific question related to Tyne Cot Cemetery. I would like to know, in the original Tyne Cot Cemetery register,

1. how many cemeteries are mentioned that were concentrated there ? Michael Scott mentiones 9 :

Iberian South Cemetery and Iberian Trench Cemetery, Langemark

Kink Corner Cemetery, Zonnebeke

Levi Cottage Cemetery, Zonnebeke

Oostnieuwkerke German Cemetery

Staden German Cemetery

Vladslo-Praatbos German Military Cemetery, Diksmuide

Waterloo Farm Cemetery, Passendale

Zonnebeke British Cemetery N° 2

Are these the same ?

2. More specifically about the first. Michael Scott says :

Iberian South Cemetery and Iberian Trench Cemetery, Langemark -- 1000 m south-east of Bridge House Cemetery and 1000 m west of Dochy Farm Cemetery at a farm known to the Army as Iberian Farm. They contained thirty British men who fell in August and September 1917 and March 1918.

Is this what the original register says too ?

(And of course : should anyone have more information on these cemeteries, it will be very welcome. All I know is the location of Iberian Farm.)

Aurel

• 1 month later...

As there were no replies since I posted this Topic 6 weeks ago, I'll bring it up again. :(

Maybe second time luckier. :)

Aurel

Aurel,

From my experiences with the Gallipoli registers I found that in the main the list was fairly complete, but other sources (including a tourist guide) indicated a few more concentrations that were named in the registers. Typically these were of small burial places. In essence, therefore, the registers were fairly good but not necessarily 100% complete.

Regards,

Martin

Thanks, Terry and Martin.

Yes, I believe that Scott took the details from the CWGC register. But I had heard that for some of the cemeteries he did not, or is incomplete. I just don't know which ones. That's why I asked for Tyne Cot Cemetery specifically.

Glad to hear both lists are identical in this case.

(I hope to see some of the original registers here in the Ypres area so that I can compare for other cemeteries.)

Should however someone has knowledge of other small battlefield cemeteries that were taken to Tyne Cot Cemetery (there must have been many dozens apart from the ones in the CWGC register and Scott), I'll be glad to hear.

Aurel

Aurel, I do not know if this of any use to you.

I have a man who died 12th October 1917 and was buried at BerlinWood CCI, I believe with some others. Later he was re-interred at Tyne Cot.

If you would like a copy of his records, he was Australian, I would be happy to send them to you.

Kind regards

John

Hi all,

I can't offer much in teh way of Tyne Cot, but I am seeking similar info about the burials at Caterpillar Valley Cemetery near Longueval. If any one has info pls PM me rather than clogging up this thread, or add it you feel inclined.

Andy M

Andy

Just looked at Volume 19 of the 1928 IWGC Register, which includes Caterpillar Valley.

The list of burial grounds "brought in" for concentration is exactly the same as currently listed on the CWGC website. There are one or two differences in the numbers, as you might expect after almost 80 years, but other than that, all is the same.

The Register does, however, state that there are 5,197 burials and commemorations, whilst the website puts the figure at 5,568 so there's quite a difference there, 371 if my sums are any good.

John,

As to the research I am doing on Disappeared Cemeteries, Tyne Cot Cemetery is my big frustration (and far from the only one !). There must be more than 11,000 graves concentrated there post war from smaller battlefield cemeteries, of which I know nothing : no names of the cemeteries, no location, no number of graves. Only a handful of cemeteries are mentioned in the original Tyne cot Cemetery register, but there must have been dozens and dozens and dozens more !

I don't think I can do something with the records of that Australian soldier who originally was buried at Berlin Wood, but should you have more info on where it was exactly (trench map co-ordinates), how many burials etc, I would be interested.

I would be interested in ALL information on men concentrated into Tyne Cot Cemetery and any CWGC cemetery in the Ypres Salient, from smaller battlefields that are NOT mentioned in the original registers (nor Michael Scott). Not in the particulars of the individual himself, but in the original burial place. So : burial places that are NOT mentioned in original registers. (Name of the cemetery/burial place ; location ; number of graves, ...)

Fortunately at the Passendale Museum someone (Jan Van der Franen) is trying to collect as much information on all the men buried at Tyne Cot. I'm sure when the project will be finished, it will be useful to me.

Aurel