Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt Harry Charles Ernest BIEDERMAN

Neil Mackenzie

Harry was in 57th Squadron RFC. Does anyone have any details on what happened on the day he was killed on 10 August 1917 and in particular where he might have been flying? He is commemorated on the Arras Flying Memorial.

His name has come up in a thread before on the Forum as just 2 weeks earlier he seems to have shot down an enemy plane and appears to have been flying a DH4 at the time.

See earlier thread.

Thanks for your help.

Neil

Dominic.

Thanks for the reply.

I am sure it is the same guy - he was 17 at the time of your newspaper article and before he was in the RFC was an officer in the Queens Own Oxfordshire Hussars (a Yeomanry regiment) so a likely candidate for Harrow.

While CWGC has him as HCE Biederman the Oxfordshire County website which list all members of the Yeomanry that died in the Great War has him as HE Biederman as per the article.

Neil

Bob - thanks for the info, Lt Alexander Calder is also on the Arras memorial.

Dom - thanks for the suggestion, I have emailed the Harrow School archivist so hopefully they can confirm if it is one and the same person.

The official German claims record for that day has only one DH4 listed and that was shot down over Ingelmunster at 10.20am. It was the 21st victory of Ltn. M. Muller, who had shot a Spad down ten minutes earlier.

A DH5 was also claimed at 7.40pm by Vfw. O. Koennecke over Malassaise-Ferme - the pilot's fifth victory.

This information is found in "The Jasta War Chronology" by Franks, Bailey and Duiven (Grub Street,1998).

Trebrys.

Thanks for the extra info.

The DH4 would appear not to be Biederman as the timings do not tie up. The DH5 would be OK for timing but does not tie up to the info from Bob. Maybe they had mechanical problems and simply crashed.

Does anyone know where the 57 Squadron was based at the time?

Thanks.

Neil

Neil

Harrow School Register (Entraces September - Christmas, 1902) has the following:

Biedermann, Harry Ernest Charles (Small Houses and The Knoll), son of A. H. Biedermann, Esq., 23, Down Street, W. Cricket IX. 1906: Rackets Player, 1906-07; left 1907 (Jan to Easter Term). Ranching. Great War, Trooper County of London Yeo. 1914; Egypt and Gallipoli; 2nd Lieut. Oxfordshire Hussars; transferred R.A.F.; France, 1917. KILLED, flying in France, August 10th, 1917.

Pam

Pam.

Many thanks indeed for this confirmation - it seems CWGC has his name slightly wrong.

Neil

Neil

As the Harrow School Register states his profession as ranching I checked the publication "Activities of the British Community in Argentina during the Great War" it had the following

Volunteers from Argentina Roll of Honour

BIEDERMANN, Harry Ernest C, 2nd Lieut., City of London Yeomanry, attd. Royal Air Force, killed in action Aug 1917.

Employee of estancia "La Marion", Volta

Left Argentina Oct 1914

Also the attached small photo

Pam

A DH5 was also claimed at 7.40pm by Vfw. O. Koennecke over Malassaise-Ferme - the pilot's fifth victory.

This information is found in "The Jasta War Chronology" by Franks, Bailey and Duiven (Grub Street,1998).

I have started another thread on this but does anyone know where Malassaise Ferme is?

Thanks.

Neil

• 7 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Hello, I hope it´s not too late: as far as i know the mission was to taking pics of the front, and never came back.

He was born in Buenos Aires Argentina.

Does anybody knows were did he studied in Buenos Aires?

Excuse my english 

Here is the photo. I think he did all his schooling in the UK but may be wrong.

I am fairly sure he is buried in Tyne Cot and raised a case with CWGC over 10 years ago but not yet had a (definitive) response.

Neil

HECBiederman.jpg.f2fde3386f25ac724783cfcc9bb90786.jpg

Edited by Neil Mackenzie

• 3 years later...

Mike

The MOD replied in January 2019 - over 11 years after my original submission.

They advised that the original Burial Return for that grave actually records that this was an Officer of the Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders (QOCH) and NOT QOOH but that subsequent CWGC records show QOOH. Their conclusion was supported by the fact that other remains concentrated from the same location are known to belong to men serving with the QOCH. The War Diaries of 7th Battalion QOCH show that they attacked in the location of where the remains were found on 22 August 1917 and suffered a number of casualties including three Officers missing.

But it was not all a waste of time. Due to the work done, including information provided by the GWF, CWGC have now decided to amend the regiment on the headstone accordingly. They will also update their records in respect of the personal details of Second Lieutenant Biedermann, including the order in which his names appear and his age.

Unfortunately I have not been able to visit Tyne Cot since then to see if the headstone has been updated.

Cheers

Neil

Edited by Neil Mackenzie

A postscript to Neil's excellent research work.

The CWGC had almost agreed to let the Soldiers of Oxfordshire Museum 'borrow' the now unneeded and irrelevant 'Unknown QOOH Officer' headstone for display at Woodstock.  Their words:-

"The CWGC does on occasion loan unknown headstones to museums for the express purpose of furthering understanding of commemoration and the broader work of the Commission, and your request would appear to fall within this criteria.  Before we could formally agree to the loan, we would need to know a little bit more about the intended display/use of the headstone, and its setting and context in the museum. We would also wish to review any interpretation that may be created to accompany the display. All costs associated with the loan, including collection of the headstone and delivery to the museum would have to be borne by the loanee.  Our standard policy is to offer loans for a maximum of 5 years, although subject to agreement from both parties it is possible to extend these loans."

This was a very welcome response to my initial approach and I was optimistic knowing that we could certainly have created a valuable display and indeed interpretation of the CWGC's work.  Ultimately it was the potential difficulties and costs in obtaining and potentially returning the headstone that dissuaded us from proceeding !

Close but no cigar.

Mike