Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Llandrindod Wells RAMC Camp

eltoro1960

My Grandfather did most of his basic RAMC training at Llandrindod Wells camp, does anyone have any photographs of the camp or information on it's size etc. Thanks.

My Grandfather did most of his basic RAMC training at Llandrindod Wells camp, does anyone have any photographs of the camp or information on it's size etc. Thanks.

John

I live near Llandrindod and will ask at the local museum, and Powys CC archives.

Do you have any further information?

Martin

Thanks Martin

He enlisted in 1915,maybe as early as February as he was not at my G Grandfathers funeral and was there until approximately January,1916 when he left for France. It's my understanding that it was pretty big camp, my Grandfathers details are in my signature though I would very much doubt if there would be any information on individual servicemen. Your offer of help is much appreciated. He appears, though I cannot confirm this, to initially been in 27 Field Ambulance but ended up in 102 FA.

John

John

I have been in touch with the Museum.

They have nothing on display but will do a search for me. They have put this at the end of their list of similar requests so it may be some time before they get round to it.

In the meantime, perhaps you should contact the Powys Archives Service yourself HERE. They may charge you for any help they give.

Please let me know how you get on.

regards

Martin

John

The arrival of the RAMC in Llandrindod Wells was a a tremendously newsworthy event as the town was practically taken over by the soldiers. If you can access The Radnor Express newspaper , (the version published in Llandrindod Wells) you will find plenty of information on the RAMC in the town egs how the young towns women's morals should be protected, accommodation and the entertainment of the troops. If your grandfather was a singer and/or became involved in any form of entertainment his name would have been mentioned by the newspaper. :) Well it is Wales.

There is also a mention of Noel Godfrey Chavasse in a 1916 edition mentioning his having been awarded the VC and that he had been one of the officers in charge of the RAMC in Llandrindod Wells.

It would be interesting to hear more about your search if you find anything further.

Myrtle

Martin, Myrtle thanks for your efforts and replies, much appreciated. I seem to recall my Granny saying my Grandad sung in the church choir and I know he was 6 foot tall and an accomplished ballroom dancer, so maybe he was one that mothers warned their daughters about :o . So maybe he will feature in the Radnor Express.

Do either of you know if the Radnor Express is accesible online, I could only find an e-mail address for them.

PS my dad still has a tiny butter dish from Llandrindod Wells , it was a going away present to my Granny when he left for France

This is him in 1919 at his brother's wedding after his demob.

post-12171-1168795427.jpg

Do either of you know if the Radnor Express is accesible online, I could only find an e-mail address for them.

John

I suggest that you write to them at :

Brecon and Radnor Express Ltd, 11 Bulwark, Brecon, Powys, LD3 7AE

So far as I know all their archives are now with Powys CC Archivist but they should confirm this for you.

Martin

John

Unfortunately, unless things have changed recently, the Radnor Express is not available online. I have accessed it at Colindale Newspaper Library, which I believe I am correct in saying is a little too far for you to visit. I will be going back to do further look ups on the Radnor Express but not for a while as I am rather busy with work. When I do go I will check beforehand, to see if you have already accessed the information.

6' tall and a singing ballroom dancer; I'm sure that the local young ladies were kept well away, much to their dismay. :rolleyes:

Thanks for posting the photograph. He certainly looks tall.

Myrtle

John

Just in case you haven't accessed the Radnor Express yet, here is some of information that I gathered about a year ago.

11th February 1915

"3,600 troops of RAMC (4th Army Corps) under command of Major G. Delap DSO are now billetted in Llandrindod Wells. Military authorities have taken over several buildings, including motor garages, drill hall, pavilion and one or two schools for holding lectures for the men. Route marches and squad drills indulged in each day. The authorities have also taken over the Red Cross Hospital temporarily, as the prospect of any wounded soldiers arriving in the town before April are bare. Headquarters and an orderly room have been opened in the High Street and Middleton Street respectively and a regimental barber's shop for 'F' coy. was opened in Middleton Street.

Llandrindod Wells Football Challenge Cup Committee have handed over to the military authorities the challenge cup and medals for competition amongst the men. Inter-league matches are now being arranged and it is expected that the winning team will meet several first class outside teams. a dry canteen has been opened at the Grand Pavilion and it is expected that a wet canteen will soon be opened in the Rock Park Pump Rooms. ((Llandrindod Wells was originally a Victorian Spa Town ) The military authorities are endeavouring to secure billets for 200 men in Howey (this is a small village on the outskirts of Llandrindod) "

At the time soldiers were attending performances at the Grand Pavilion of "The pick-me-up-Girls" International and acrobatic dancers, and a revue "Hullo, Miss Venus" by the Midland Production Company.

A concert was held in February at The Friends Meeting House when "Pte Andrew Downing a professional artist and singer of Scotch character songs", performed with "go and spirit that secured tremendous encores." The favourite song was "Maggie McKenzie".

18th March 1915

A photograph and description of Lieut Delap DSO RAMC appears in the Radnor Express.

"Lieut Col. Delap LRCPI, LRCSI,DSO 1900 was born on April 13th 1873 and is the son of the late Rev Canon Delap. He was married in 1902 to the youngest daughter of Surgeon General W.F.Fawcett and has one daughter. He entered the army in 1899 served in South Africa 1899-1902 receiving the following honours viz: twice mentioned in dispatches, Queens medal, four clasps: King's medal, two clasps and D.S.O. Prior to his appointment as commanding officer of the several companies of the RAMC now billetted at LLandrindod Wells, he was one of the chief instructors at the RAMC School of instruction, Aldershot and held the rank of Major."

Hope these extracts are of interest.

Myrtle

John

I have now had a reply from the Museum to the effect that they have nothing there.

However, they would be very pleased if you could let them know if you find anything.

Regards

Martin

Myrtle / Martin

Thanks very much for the time and effort you have put in,much appreciated. I have contacted the Radnor Express by e-mail, but their e-mail box is full and not accepting new e-mails, so snail mail it is. If I get anything at all I will of course pass it on.

Cheers

• 4 years later...

Sorry I'm rather late to the party, but what about this one of convalescing soldiers at Rock Park in May 1916. Among them is my grandfather. Click the picture to see a larger copy.

llandrindod_wells_may_1916_small.jpg

Alan