Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

TRACING ROBERT HOPE GORDON

janeboxerdog

Hi

I'm trying to trace any info or relatives of Robert Hope Gordon the details I have are:

Lt Robert Hope Gordon died 8th August 1916

8th Liverpool Transport Regiment - was this Territorial?

I believe he married on 22.4.16 to Alice Mabel Doran but the marriage cert shows him as Lance Corporal 3rd Scots Guards - would he have changed regiments?

Thanks

Jane

Hi

I'm trying to trace any info or relatives of Robert Hope Gordon the details I have are:

Lt Robert Hope Gordon died 8th August 1916

8th Liverpool Transport Regiment - was this Territorial?

I believe he married on 22.4.16 to Alice Mabel Doran but the marriage cert shows him as Lance Corporal 3rd Scots Guards - would he have changed regiments?

Thanks

Jane

Hi Jane,

Welcome to the GWF. This is his Medal Index Card which can be downloaded from the NA site for £3.50. This will give you some basic info on him.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...resultcount=184

These are his details on the CWGC site:

Name: GORDON, ROBERT HOPE

Initials: R H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: The King's (Liverpool Regiment)

Unit Text: 1st/8th Bn.

Date of Death: 08/08/1916

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 1 D 8 B and 8 C.

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

I have further info on him from the Soldiers Died in the Great War database which states he was killed in action on that day.

The 1/8th was a territorial battalion of the King's Liverpool Regiment. See this link:

http://www.1914-1918.net/kings.htm

The 1/8th King's Liverpool attacked and broke through the German lines and pushed in-between the quarry situated to the west of Guillemont on the Somme on the 8th August 1916. They entered Guillemont and held there. But, the Germans counter-attacked and the 1/8th Kings were cut off. They held on admirably with one of their sister battalions, the 1st Kings, a regular battalion, but were attacked by ever growing German reserves. Many of them were either killed, wounded or captured in terrible hand to hand fighting. However, some elements managed to hold out until the 9th August. The 1/8th Kings lost 570 officers and men killed, wounded and captured, the 1st Kings lost 235.

Nothing leaps out with regard to the Scots Guards, although there are 3 Robert Gordons recorded as having served with this regiment, 2 of whom were also killed in action. Where does the marriage certificate come from?

Steve

This is an Official History Map showing you the area attacked that day.

KingsRegiment.jpg

Steve

Officers commissions were announced in the London Gazette. This is for Robert Hope Gordon:

INFANTRY

8th (Irish) Battalion, The King's (Liverpool) Regiment, the undermentioned to be Second Lieutenants:

Cadet Robert Hope Gordon from the Oxford University Contingent, Senior Division, Officer Training Corps. Dated 9th January 1915.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

The above would seem to be incompatible with him being a Lance-Corporal in the Scots Guards in 1916. Do you have any concrete evidence that the officer was the man you are looking for?

Steve.

Jane,

His Medal Index Card can be found online att he National Archives here

It indicates he was a 2nd Lieut.

There are 4 Robert Gordons (no middle name or initial) listed as in the Scot's Guards. One of which was a Corporal.

I've researched a man from the 1st/5th King's Liverpool who was killed on the same day and from the same Brigade/Division. The divisional (55th West Lancs) history reports the day in detail and the Liverpool Irish part particularly well described.

Send me a PM with an email and I'll send you some scans

regards

Mike

Jane

We do have a record for him on the "Missing of the Somme" database but unfortunately no photo the only additional info is:

Aged 22 years

Son of J H Gordon of Glasgow

Educated at Fettes College from 1907 to 1911

Gained an Open Class Scholarship to Exeter College, Oxford (Matriculated 1911)

Enlisted September 10th 1914

The info comes from the Fettes College Register and the Oxford University Roll of Service

Pam

• 1 year later...

According to the Register of Exeter College Oxford 1891-1921 (Basil Blackwell, Oxford 1928), by A.B. How, Robert Hope Gordon matriculated at the college in October 1911 with an open scholarship to study Classics. He was born on 14 September 1893 at Greenock, Western Scotland, the eldest son of John Hope, sugar-broker. He was educated at Fettes College, Edinburgh. At Exeter College he achieved a Class II in Classics Moderations in 1913. He received a commission as a 2nd lieutenant in the 8th Battalion of the Liverpool Regiment in 1914. The register adds only that he was wounded and missing August 1916 at Ypres, which (judging by the CWGC records) is incorrect: he actually went missing in action on the Somme.

At Exeter College, he was a friend of J.R.R. Tolkien, later author of _The Lord of the Rings_, and a member of a small club co-founded by Tolkien who called themselves the Apolausticks. Further details may be found in an article, "Tolkien, Exeter College and the Great War" which resides on my website at www.johngarth.co.uk -- though Gordon will only be mentioned in an expanded version of the article which will not go online for a while.

I would welcome any further information about Gordon, or any others I mention in the article.

John Garth

Author, _Tolkien and the Great War

• 1 year later...
According to the Register of Exeter College Oxford 1891-1921 (Basil Blackwell, Oxford 1928), by A.B. How, Robert Hope Gordon matriculated at the college in October 1911 with an open scholarship to study Classics. He was born on 14 September 1893 at Greenock, Western Scotland, the eldest son of John Hope, sugar-broker. He was educated at Fettes College, Edinburgh. At Exeter College he achieved a Class II in Classics Moderations in 1913. He received a commission as a 2nd lieutenant in the 8th Battalion of the Liverpool Regiment in 1914. The register adds only that he was wounded and missing August 1916 at Ypres, which (judging by the CWGC records) is incorrect: he actually went missing in action on the Somme.

At Exeter College, he was a friend of J.R.R. Tolkien, later author of _The Lord of the Rings_, and a member of a small club co-founded by Tolkien who called themselves the Apolausticks. Further details may be found in an article, "Tolkien, Exeter College and the Great War" which resides on my website at www.johngarth.co.uk -- though Gordon will only be mentioned in an expanded version of the article which will not go online for a while.

I would welcome any further information about Gordon, or any others I mention in the article.

John Garth

Author, _Tolkien and the Great War

Robert Hope Gordon was the older brother of my mother, Aline John née Gordon, who died in 1987.

He was indeed wounded at Ypres in the scalp and shoulder. I have a photo of him convalescing with his family in the Highlands. He was back in the trenches in good time for events on the Somme and was killed trying to get a message through for reinforcements in August 1916. I wonder if he witnessed the battle of July 1st? His regiment was not apparently in the most dangerous part of that battle.

It would be nice to think that he had been married, however briefly, but that turned out not to be so.

Very interested in the Tolkien connection and have ordered John Garth's book. Have also learned from John's website that my uncle was president of the JCR and enjoyed a battle of port. Shall raise a glass to him this Christmas.

• 7 months later...

Hi Jane

I am familiar with the name, Robert Hope Gordon, having research another soldier from 1/8 (Irish)KLR who was taken prisoner on this day, 8th August, in 1916 at Guillemont and later killed as a POW. I have read a number of accounts from Officers of 1/8 KLR taken prisoner at the same time, who were later repatriated. There is a letter on file from a Lt. Spargo to Roberts father, written from a Swiss hospital, in which he describes the offensive on Guillemont and the subsequent battle, and how Robert volunteered to get a message back from Captain Murphy, the OC, when D and C Company had been cut off and unable to make contact with 1/1 KLR. This was in response to Mr. Hope Gordon's request for information on his son, who at this time was still classed as "missing". Maybe you already have this info or indeed the original letter, but from what I can gather, the private who accompanied Robert returned to Captain Murphy to report he had been shot, and had been unable to get a messsage back as the Germans had by then surrounded the 1/8, as Captain Murphy's account also refers to this. I can send you the full text if you wish, but I know your original posting was quite a while ago now. :poppy:

• 6 months later...

Hi All,

Based on your posts, I have put together what I believe to be a summary of Lieutenant Robert Hope Gordon at Guillemont.

On 8th August 1916 the 2nd and 55th Divisions attacked Guillemont: The 6th Brigade of the 2nd Division assaulted from the west of the village against the area of the Station and the Quarry; and the 164th and 165th Brigades of the 55th Division assaulted to the south of the village towards Wedge Wood and Falfemont Farm. The 1/8th King's Liverpool Regiment, which was part of the 6th Brigade, attacked and broke through the German lines to push in-between the Quarry and the west of Guillemont. They entered the village, but the Germans counterattacked and cut them off. One of their sister Battalions, the 1st Kings also from the 6th Brigade, attacked and broke through in the vicinity of the station and entered the north-western end of the village. Throughout the day both Battalions fought to hold on to what they had gained in the face of stiff opposition. As the day progressed the Germans continued to attack with ever increasing numbers and many of the British infantrymen were either killed, wounded or captured in terrible hand to hand fighting. Some pockets continued to hold out until the following day, 9th August when they were finally withdrawn. In this action the 1/8th Kings lost 570 officers and men killed, wounded and captured, and the 1st Kings lost 235.

Among those who died was Lieutenant Robert Hope Gordon of the 1/8th Kings. Robert had volunteered at the beginning of the war and enlisted on 10th September 1914.[1] He had been a scholar at Exeter College, Oxford and was subsequently commissioned on 9th January 1915 having been a cadet in the Oxford University Contingent, Senior Division, Officer Training Corps.[2] A letter sent to Robert's father by another officer of 1/8th Kings, who was taken prisoner on the 8th, states that Robert volunteered to get a message back from Captain Murphy, the OC, when D and C Company had been cut off. He was unable to make contact with 1 Kings as by then the Germans had surrounded them. A private who had accompanied Lieutenant Gordon reported that Robert had been shot as they tried to get the message through.

GuillemontAttach-8Aug16.jpg

Map of the action on 8th August 1916.

Lieutenant Robert Hope Gordon was killed in action on the 8th August 1916 and he has no known grave, being one of those remembered on the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing on the Somme, Pier and Face 1 D 8 B and 8 C.[3]

[1] Fettes College Register and the Oxford University Roll of Service.

[2] London Gazette 29035, dated 8th January 1915, pp 288.

[3] Commonwealth War Graves Commission, Debt of Honour.

• 2 years later...

Hi Tagsy

I am in the process of researching the military background of one of my ancestors, Lt William Henry spargo of the 8th Kings Liverpool Regiment. He was captured at Guillemont and served time as a POW.

You mentioned a letter from Lt Spargo to the father of Robert Gordon Hope written from a Swiss hospital. I was wondering if you had access to this letter as I would be very interested in seeing it and/or its content.

Thanks.

Regards

basman97

Basman

Welcome to the forum. You are likely to get a good response and perhaps become addicted.

I do not wish to deflect interest from your enquiry, but is your Spargo ancestor related to 2/Lieut Percy Spargo DCM, RAF, who died in Thessaloniki on 18 Sept 1918? He is named on the memorial in the church I attend and I have gathered some information about him.

Daggers

Hi Daggers

Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately my Lt Spargo was not related to 2/Lieut Percy Spargo DCM, RAF, who died in Thessaloniki on 18 Sept 1918. My Lt Spargo served initially with the 1st Rhodesian Regiment and then transferred to the 8th KLR. He lost an arm in the Battle of Guillemont and spent some time as a POW. He was part of a POW exchange which is how he ended up in a hospital in Switzerland. A relative of mine has photographs of him (and other prisoners) in the camp during his internment. He remained on active duty even serving in the RAF for a short period before his discharge in 1919.

Just out of interest he was also a cousin of former Scottish rugby international (2/Lt) Walter Michael Dickson of the 11th btn. Argyll & Sutherland, who was killed in action at the Battle of Loos in September 1915. Dickson was the brother of my great grandmother.

Cheers

Basman

Basman,

You may find the following of interest - always keen to know whether you have any addidional information:

Promenade

The letter to Gordon's father by Lieutenant WH Spargo dated 14/1/17 reads "I regret I have not been able to answer your letter before but I was in hospital having another operation when your letter arrived. But as it is all over now I will attempt to reply to your letter as fully as possible. I was with your son up until the time he tried to get the message back. Captain Murphy was also with us in the same shell hole. I will give you all the information I can. Our orders were to go through the village of Guillemont and dig ourselves in on the other side of the village and to hold a certain sector which was allotted to 8 KLR. We started off before light and got to our sector without much difficulty. The battalion on our right failed to turn up and our right flank was exposed at daylight. At about 8am we saw some Germans coming on the right flank. They surrounded us and we found we were in a dangerous position. After repeated attempts to try and get messages back but without success, your son volunteered to try and see if he could have any success in taking a message back. He went off with one of the men and shortly afterwards word came down the line that Lieutenant Gordon had been killed having received about 6 or 7 bullet wounds and had no better success than those previous. We then had an order to try and retire and in our attempt Captain Murphy was wounded and we had to leave him and got to the left of the line. When we saw all our men were being mowed down by the enemy machine gun fire another officer Lieutenant Lilley came to me and said there was no getting back as the Germans were all around and that we must surrender. On looking up we found that our men had surrendered. I was the last to leave that particular portion of the line and I saw nothing of your son. On reaching Combles we were formed up and marched in fours towards Sailly-Sal when I was hit by a piece of shell which caused the amputation of my arm. We were a party of about 300 men including men from 1 KLR Mr Lilley and myself. Mr Lilley was afterwards killed by a shell. We were the first batch of prisoners to move off. I was taken to two dressing stations on the same night and then moved to St Quentin where all wounded prisoners were brought. Nothing was seen of your son. I cannot say whether the Germans buried any men, I should hardly think so as some of our men were lying out for four days. We were taken prisoner about 8:30am. I was in St Quentin hospital for nearly a month and saw most of the new arrivals including Captain Williams of 10 KLR who died there but there was no news of your son. Lieutenant Sissons (8 KLR) who was in Dulmen Camp, a prisoner of war, came along after me and he may know something further. I am sorry I am unable to give you any more news concerning your son who was very popular with all of us. I don't think its likely to be as Lieutenant Palmer says because I have met with officers from all German hospitals and they would have mentioned the fact of any officer staying behind especially if they are of the same regiment. If there is anything further you would wish to know I should only be too pleased to answer. Yours sincerely WH Spargo." The letter was written from the Palace Hotel, Muren, Switzerland.

This is what I hold in my records on Lt Spargo:- William Henry Spargo was born in Kimberley Cape Colony South Africa on 21/2/90 the son of William Charles and Christina Wilhelmina Spargo. He was educated at St George's Grammar School South Africa. Before the war he lived at Gadzmia S Rhodesia and was an amalgamator in the gold mining industry. He enlisted in the 1st Rhodesian Regt (No 1 Coy) in September 1914 as a Private being discharged 31/7/15 on the disbanding of the Regiment having seen service in the S. African rebellion of 1914 and the German West African Campaign. He enlisted as No 6369 in the Inns of Court OTC. At the time of his application for commission his father (a mining engineer) was living at 210, Longmarket St, Cape Town. He was taken prisoner at Guillemont 8/8/16 whilst serving with 'C' Coy 8 KLR and admitted to St Quentin Hospital, Gottingen and Constance Hospital. He had a fractured elbow (the result of enemy artillery fire) which ultimately resulted in the amputation of his left arm on 14/8/16. He was subsequently interned at Muren Switzerland 13/12/16 where he underwent another operation on 9/1/17. He was repatriated to the UK (Le Havre to Southampton) 8/9/17 and at this time gave his address as c/o Mrs Turner, 'Southfield' Eccleston Park, Prescot and served in the RAF until 1919 when he joined the Civil Service as a Clerical Officer.

In Rock Ferry Parish Church on 18/6/18 Lt William Charles Spargo (RAF) aged 31, son of William Charles Spargo (mining engineer) married Alice Elizabeth Furniss aged 29 of 11 Old Chester Rd, Rock Ferry, the daughter of Frederick Furniss (contractor).

He died 17/6/30 at 24 Orchard Rd, Wallasey - described as a clerk in the Official Receivers office and an Army Pensioner.

The address on his MIC is Cairig, Hawthorne Rd, Moreton, Cheshire

TAKEN POW DURING THE 3RD ATTACK TO TAKE GUILLEMONT 8/8/16

Extracted from 1/8 KLR War Diary

Bronfay Farm

Monday 7/8/16

Battalion marches to the trenches and relieves 1/9 KLR. Relief complete by 10.30pm. Lieutenant JP Castle wounded.

Trenches

Tuesday 8/8/16

Battalion attack object to consolidate on the far side of the village of Guillemont. At 4.14am Battalion commences to follow up barrage.

The Battalion appears to have advanced over the first line trenches without much loss and into the village. Owing to the attacks of the Battalions on the right and left not being able to be pushed home the enemy were able to make a strong attack on the North Lancs Regt holding the German front line trench. The attack was so strong that the North Lancs Regt had to retire from the trenches and the Battalion was thus left in a position in the village with Germans on their front flank and rear. Communication was cut off and a heavy barrage of Machine Gun fire was put on the ground between our assembly trenches and the German front line by the enemy. From information received from two men of ‘D’ Company who came in early this morning ‘D’ and ‘B’ Companies who formed the left reached their objective and commenced to dig in. The enemy then opened a heavy Machine Gun fire on them from all sides and they were given the order to retire by Captain Murphy OC ‘D’ Company. ‘A’ and ‘B’ Companies who were on the right, no information received and could not be seen owing to the mist and smoke of our barrage and also smoke bombs of the enemy. German reinforcements seemed to come from Ginchy. The Battalion appears to have inflicted a certain amount of loss on the Germans by bombing dug-outs and by Lewis Gun fire on reinforcements coming from Ginchy. Gas and tear shells were used by the Germans.

CASUALTIES

Wounded : Captain GH Chamberlain

Missing : Captain AH Meadows (reported killed), 2nd Lieutenant NN Levene, Lieutenant RH Gordon (reported wounded), 2nd Lieutenant JS Sharpe (reported wounded), Captain EM Murphy (reported wounded), Lieutenant W Duncan (reported gassed), 2nd Lieutenant CBJ Collison, 2nd Lieutenant H Whiteside, 2nd Lieutenant R Burrow, 2nd Lieutenant WDH Lilley, 2nd Lieutenant JA Sisson, 2nd Lieutenant WH Spargo, 2nd Lieutenant W Tipping and 10 Other Ranks killed, 47 wounded and 502 missing.

The following is transcribed from the Regimental History by Everard Wyrall:-

Orders had already been issued for the third attack on Guillemont to take place on the 8th August.

The 55th Division, on the right, and the 2nd Division, on the left (XIII Corps), in co operation with the XX French Corps, on the right of the 55th Division, were to attack the enemy: the orders stated that the British divisions "will take Guillemont."

Of the former division the 165th Brigade was to attack on the right and the 164th Brigade on the left, the boundary between the two brigades being a line running east and west through the end of the orchard at the southern extremities of the village. The 166th Brigade was to be in reserve in bivouacs in the Citadel area, but to be prepared to lend assistance if required. The dividing line between the 55th and 2nd Divisions was the road (Brompton Road) running from north east to south west on the northern exits of Guillemont and just south of the railway; the station was to be captured by the 2nd Division.

The whole area of the British attack extended from the cross roads north of Hardecourt (where touch was to be obtained with the French) as far north as "Z.Z." trenches, which lay between Waterlot Farm and the south eastern corner of Delville Wood.

"Zero" hour was fixed for 4.20 a.m.

The attack was to be preceded by a heavy bombardment lasting seventeen hours, from 9 a.m. on 7th August to "Zero" hour, with only one break, between 9 p.m. on 7th and 12 midnight, while the troops were moving into their assembly positions. . . .

The 164th Brigade was to attack on a two battalion front, i.e., 1/4th Royal Lancs. On the right, and 1/8th (Irish) Battalion, King's Regiment (Lieut.Colonel E. A. Fagan) on the left. The objective allotted to the former battalion was the southern half of Guillemont, the Guillemont - Trônes Wood road being the northern boundary; the Liverpool Irish were to attack the northern end of the village, from the latter boundary to the southern boundary of the 6th Brigade, which has already been described. . . .

Some idea of the terrible existence led in the trenches in front of Guillemont, even before the attack was made, may be gathered from the story of the 1/8th King's Diary during those first few days of August. The battalion, as already related, had gone into the line in the forward trenches east of Trônes Wood on the night of 30th/31st July. Their casualties during the relief have already been given. On the 1st six more other ranks were killed and four more officers (Capt. J. A. Roche and Second Lieuts. A. D. Homer, A. Prescot and B. Clothier) and thirty five other ranks were wounded. . . . .

With the 1/4th Loyal Lancs. On their right, the 1/8th (Irish) Battalion advanced to the attack at "Zero" hour; it will be remembered that the objective of the 1/8th King's was the northern portion of Guillemont as far as the railway station.

The advance appears to have made good headway, passing over the first German line without serious loss and into the village. The Battalion Diary then states that "owing to the attacks by the battalions on right and left not being able to be pushed home, the enemy were able to make a strong attack on the North Lancs. Regiment holding the German front line trench. The attack was so strong that the North Lancs. Had to retire from the trenches and the battalion (1/8th King's) was thus left in position in the village with Germans on their front, flank and rear. Communication was cut off and a heavy barrage of machine gun fire put over the ground between our assembly trenches and the German front line by the enemy. From information received from two men of `D' Company who came in early this morning (9th), `D' and `B' Companies, who formed the left, reached their objective and commenced to dig in. The enemy then opened a heavy machine gun fire on them from all sides and they were given the order to retire by Capt. Murphy, O.C., `D' Company. `A' and `B', (it is possible that ‘C’ is meant here and not `B'), who were on the right, no information received and could not be seen owing to the mist and smoke of our barrage and smoke bombs of the enemy. German reinforcements appeared to come from Ginchy. The battalion appears to have inflicted a certain amount of loss on the Germans by bombing dug outs and by Lewis gun fire on reinforcements coming from Ginchy. Gas and tear shells were used by the Germans."

Then follows another awful list of casualties: Capt. A. H. Meadows, Lieut. R. H. Gordon and Second Lieuts. N. N. Leven, G. S. Sharpe and W. Tipping and ten other ranks had been killed; Capts. C. A. Chamberlain, E. M. Murphy, Lieut. W. Duncan (gassed) and Second Lieuts. C. B. J. Collison, H. Whiteside, R. Burrow, J. A. Sisson, W. H. Spargo and 47 other ranks wounded - 502 other ranks were missing. Second Lieut. W. H. D. Lilley, who was reported missing, was wounded and died in German hands on 11th August.

A message to Brigade Headquarters from the C.O., 1/8th King's, timed 8.25 a.m., indicates the predicament of that battalion: "Have no information from my battalion and unable to report situation. Can see my men with my glasses manoeuvring on north western crest of village. Have sent runners but these did not return. Have sent officer to 1st King's Liverpool Regiment to get touch. He brings back report from subaltern of that battalion stating that his battalion is badly cut up and the Germans are re occupying their front line."

It will be seen, however, that the C.O. of the 1/8th was not quite accurate when he stated that there were no troops on his left, for the senior battalion of the Regiment - the 1st King's - had also penetrated into Guillemont. . . .

An official diary, which describes what happened to the 164th Brigade, states: "As soon as they had got into the village (1/8th King's) it appears that the enemy came up out of the ground below them and cut them off entirely by means of machine guns. This is practically what happened on the previous attack on Guillemont on the 30th July, and it is possible that the village is an underground warren of passages in which the garrison is immune from shellfire, and from which they can emerge with their machine guns after the attacking infantry has passed over."

• 1 month later...

Just to say that I am working on an exhibition in the McLean Museum in Greenock for the WW1 Centenary next year and I noticed this post. I would like to add more details of RH Gordon if possible, as he was born in Greenock. If you can help in any way I would be most grateful.

Vincent Gillen

McLean Museum

Vincent.gillen@inverclyde.gov.uk

• 1 year later...

hi my name is sarah jaffer and this is my first post. i am writing regarding my x1 cousin x3 removed captain albert henry meadows who was a captain in the 1/8 irish battalion KLR. He was killed 8th aug 1916 at the battle of guillemont. he is mentioned in the battalion war diaries. i have done a lot of research on him i and his family on the ancestry web site. he was the son of henry meadows a train driver and ellen meadows he was an only child. his father passed away suddenly in 1918 and his mother died of the spanish flu in 1919, he was educated at st lawrence school wavertree and the liverpool institute. he worked for FC danson and co as an average adjuster before the war (1911 census). he joined the battalion in 1908 and was appointed captain in 1911. i was fortunate last week to go to visit his grave at delville wood in longueval which was very emotional. i am intersted to know do any of his letters exist and which company he was in and what his exact role was in the battle for guillrmont. i am also curious to read that noel chavasse who won the vc on the 9th august picked up bodies of dead officers was albert henry meadows one of those officers. can anybody help my e mail address is jaffer3@msn.com.

adding to my last post robert hope gordon was listed as a casualty along with my relative albert henry meadows in the battalions war diary entry for 8th august 1916.