Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brace attachments, any photos

uncle bill

Does anyone have a photo of the 08 pattern webbing brace attachments being worn ? This is for my personal use, it won't be published anywhere. Many thanks.

Does anyone have a photo of the 08 pattern webbing brace attachments being worn ? This is for my personal use, it won't be published anywhere. Many thanks.

Here you go - one of myself in brace adaptors, complete with holster and ammunition pouch, taken at Crownhill Fort in 2005.

post-2039-1166550098.jpg

Another example

post-671-1166550511.jpg

great stuff, thanks chaps. You look good there Andrew, are yours originals ?

great stuff, thanks chaps. You look good there Andrew, are yours originals ?

My pistol rig is a mixture of original, part-reproduction and completely reproduction items - the holster and pouch are original, as is the frog, waterbottle carrier and small pack, the belt is an original 1916 dated one which was made without any tabs and has been altered to the correct pistol pattern. The entrenching tool head holder is is a Lawrence Ordinance reproduction, whilst the cross-straps and brace adaptors are made by Richard "Dickie" Knight, GWF member and occasional poster, group leader of the "Vickers Machine Gunners Society 1914-45" of which I am a member. He puts in subtle "errors" in his reproductions, so they cannot be mistaken for originals, not withstanding this, the braces are excellent reproductions.

I use this set where possible, as my set of rifle webbing is almost completely original (only the entrenching tool helve holder being a modern copy!). Plus, it's much lighter to carry just my Webley Mk. VI!

I can do a few more better shots of my pistol set if you're interested.

I hope this helps.

regards

Mark

post-11424-1166555428.jpg

Very Nice John thanks for sharing the photo.

Mark

Here is an original pair:

dgh1645.jpg

And the belt:

dgh1646.jpg

thanks Mark and John. Yes I'd love to see your pistol rig Andrew. I've met Dickie, he makes amazing stuff. I had the pleasure of wearing a P14 pistol rig that he had made.

I think the popular consensus was that the 08 Webbing was actually relatively comfortable, certainly better than its 37 pattern successor, and no worse than the 58 pattern(those awful kidney pouches and bum roll yuk!).

regards

Mark

Good grief. I thought the old pattern 58 webbing was awful, but this stuff must have been a nightmare!

:o

brace adaptors are made by Richard "Dickie" Knight, GWF member and occasional poster, group leader of the "Vickers Machine Gunners Society 1914-45 of which I am a member. He puts in subtle "errors" in his reproductions, so they cannot be mistaken for originals,

excellent guy!!

thanks Mark and John. Yes I'd love to see your pistol rig Andrew. I've met Dickie, he makes amazing stuff. I had the pleasure of wearing a P14 pistol rig that he had made.

Was that his own 1914 pistol rig? If so, that's no reproduction, but a set he put together from original pieces! I've had the "priviledge" of cleaning it during a break in the filming for "The Somme: From Defeat to Victory", and most of the bits I saw were dated 1916!

Good grief. I thought the old pattern 58 webbing was awful, but this stuff must have been a nightmare!

:o

Not at all, the 1908 webbing (and the 1914 leather webbing) in its various forms, if correctly adjusted and fitted, is very comfortable indeed, and spreads the load suprisingly well, with little if any stretching or slipping of the webbing straps.

brace adaptors are made by Richard "Dickie" Knight, GWF member and occasional poster, group leader of the "Vickers Machine Gunners Society 1914-45 of which I am a member. He puts in subtle "errors" in his reproductions, so they cannot be mistaken for originals,

excellent guy!!

He has to, otherwise examples of his work could (and have been!) passed off as originals despite the "errors" he has built in (and at least one person has copied one of his copies, as the built in error for that items was copied to! :ph34r: ).

Some pictures to follow:

post-2039-1166639014.jpg

Pic:

post-2039-1166639104.jpg

Pic:

post-2039-1166639181.jpg

Pic:

post-2039-1166639304.jpg

Pic:

post-2039-1166639420.jpg

Pic:

post-2039-1166639575.jpg