Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Northern Command Labour Corps

Guest Weimar

Can anyone tell me what the N.C.L.C Labour Corps was, what it did and where I can find out more about them?

I recently came across my great-grandfather's discharge certificate and although he joined the K.O.Y.L.I he was discharged in Nottingham from the N.C.L.C Labour Corps.

Welcome Weimar,

I really am not sure but I would say that NCLC stands for Northern Command Labour Corp. If you search the forum you will find a lot about this Corp, one I quickly found was

If I am wrong perhaps someone will come along soon and correct it, and we will both learn more.

Regards Kevin

My grandfather was with the Devonshire Reg / Labour Corp from early 1915 until christmas day 1917 when arrived home wounded,

When he was at Ypres / Hill 60, was with the labour Corp working on the digging of the tunnels under Hill 60, and was there for some time, gased but survived,

Later, was in Arras, and sent home following wounding,

Colin Roberts

Grandson of

Pte W.G.Pritchard 8273

Devonshire Reg

Labour Corp 683975.

The Northern Command Labour Centre, Labour Corps was infact based in Ripon, North Yorks and it was one of several C.L.C.'s to be found within the Army Command structure. The role of these Centres appears to have been training and drafting of men transferred or enlisted into the Labour Corps and assisting returned Corps men due for discharge. They may have also administered those Home Service Labour Corps units located within Northern Command, and this would have been reflected in other C.L.C.'s.

The Labour Corps Records Centre was located in Nottingham and it's sole purpose was to administer the personal records of Labour Corps men and it was from here that Discharge Certificates would be issued.

Graham.