Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Adopted Towns/Villages

Bob Coulson

A while back there was a discussion regarding Courcelette being adopted after the war by a town in the UK.

Having just read "The Somme Battlefields" by Martin Middlebrook, thought I would list the adopted towns/villages given just for info.

Derby - Foncquevillers

Wolverhampton - Gommecourt

Worcester - Hebuterne

Sheffield - Serre

Winchester - Beaumont-Hamel, Mailly-Maillet, Englebelmer

London Borough of Leyton - Authuille

Ipswich - Fricourt, Bazentin

Portsmouth - Combles, Flers

Canterbury - Lesboeufs, Morval

Swansea - Carnoy

Folkestone - Morlancourt

Birmingham - Albert

Burnley - Colincamps

Blackburn - Peronne.

Gheluvelt (Flanders) - Worcester

Jan

I had some on disk Bob, but from memory,

Guillemont- Hornsey

Thiepval- Tonbridge

Mametz- Llandudno

Hebuterne- Evesham.

Also i think,

Neuve Chapelle- Blackpool

Mercatel- Darlington.

Regards, Chris Noble.

Goodday,

I have the full list of Somme adopted villages & godmothers(?). I can confirm for Montauban with Maidstone. Courcelette was officially adopted by the French canton / district of Outarville in Loiret (dptmt/district). Ask me if you need me to check such things in my list for the Somme.

Regards,

Nicolas

Hum... I start to type right now... Nice joke Bob! Of course I could scan & send 3 pages but I meant I can help for a couple of towns. Do you want the book or archive references ?

There's no matter Bob.

122 villages were adopted after WW1 in the Somme. Less than 1/10th by British places which adopted villages of the battle of the Somme area.

Happy to help you,

Nicolas

Incidently,on the British Pathe News website, there is a newsreel with the title "A Little Help Is", depicting the Mayor of Hornsey donating a tractor,thresher and plough to the people of Guillemont.

Regards, Chris Noble.

Some good info coming through. How about any british towns associated with towns in F&F along the old front line.

I will track replies and post a list as and when things "dry up".

I was told by a Gentleman from Hythe who I met in Poperinghe that the two towns are twinned. Maybe somebody could confirm ?

Myrtle

• 3 years later...

Just found this thread as a new member. I have just written a 4000 word article on the adoption of Albert by Birmingham which I am sending to Stand To (WFA mag)

Alan Tucker

Worcester - Hebuterne

Sheffield - Serre

Funny, I thought Sheffield had supported Bapaume.

The city certainly built a school in Bapaume. There's a museum on the first floor of that building now, I visited it in September. To celebrate the completion of the school (I think), every child in Bapaume was given a personal cutlery set (knife, fork spoon) in a presentation case. That of the museum curator is on display. There have been many visits from Sheffield dignitaries, and there's a Sheffield book of remembrance on display. Also there are some houses, built to house workers immediately after WW1 , called "les maisons de Sheffield" somewhere near the station I believe.

Ah, just found a reference:

http://www.webmatters.net/france/ww1_serre_sheffield_06.htm

Obviously Sheffield helped both Serre and Bapaume!

I am sure I also came across a very detailed French site about the museum though. Sorry, can't find it again.

I think Villers-Bretonneux is supported by the Australian State of Victoria.

Angela

Just found this thread as a new member. I have just written a 4000 word article on the adoption of Albert by Birmingham which I am sending to Stand To (WFA mag)

Alan Tucker

Alan - did you come across anything about the creation of a memorial garden in Albert with trees being planted in memory of fallen soldiers, each one marked with a memorial plaque? I ask, as some years ago, a whole series of the plaques turned up in a local scrap merchant and some locals 'remembered' such a place. Many of the plaques are now on display in the Musee des Abris.

Looking forward to your article.

No mention of a memorial garden with any Birmingham link which is not to say there wasn't one. Birmingham built the 'Pavilion de Birmingham' - an old folks home. Also there is a rue de Birmingham in Albert.

Alan Tucker

Givenchy was adopted by Liverpool, and Bootle retains strong links with Mons.

Bruce

A while back there was a discussion regarding Courcelette being adopted after the war by a town in the UK.

Having just read "The Somme Battlefields" by Martin Middlebrook, thought I would list the adopted towns/villages given just for info.

Wolverhampton - Gommecourt

Hi Bob

Grandcourt was adopted by Stourbridge after the war. For years I have stayed in a gite in Grandcourt that was owned by the mayor of the village, M. Marcel Herbet. He kindly lent me much of the documentary material that explained the original adoption, the problems faced by the village as a consequence of war damage (e.g. only three residents remaining out of four hundred) and the actions taken to try to ameliorate the situation.

Regards

Ken

• 8 months later...

anstruther,fife with bapaume ..........i drove thru anstruther today and saw the signpost for the town with its crest and saying underneath it ,was twinned with bapaume............

I was driving into Peronne from Bapaume 2004 and saw the sign twinned with Blackburn. The last thing I expected but was quite pleased knowingit