Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Andrew Richard Buxton. 3rd Rifle Brigade

stiletto_33853

To his Father.

B.E.F., Huts [bulford],

1 p.m., Saturday, 17-6-16.

"We had a pretty rotten night last night - very heavy firing starting south of our bit of trenches and then carrying on to the north. We heard there was a gas attack and the Battalion 'stood to' ready to move - then fell out ready to fall in again at a moment's notice. It looked and sounded (from the terrific row of guns, including a 12 inch going off just by us) as though we were in for something, but, though the Bosch did make a gas attack on one bit of line, I think it was a matter of 'wind up'...............

The heavy firing started about 10 p.m. and was exceptional enough to keep us from bed for a bit, but I turned in about 12 o'clock, and about an hour afterwards Brown, who is second in command of "A" Coy. and who had been talking in another hut, tumbled in with a shouy of 'Gas.' This had been got from the sirens at the Front, intended for the purpose, letting off. The first thing to do is get braces on and jacket, so that you have the jacket on to tuck the gas helmet under down the neck, and I told Arthur and the others in the hut to do so. As a matter of fact we got no gas here, but they had let some off on certain front line trenches. All Coys. fell in here, drawing at the same time extra ammunition and bombs; all in fighting order, with transport all ready, and the Company horse (together with other Coy. horses) brought up for me."

From the Rev. Arthur Buxton, C.F.

Trenches, Monday, 19-6-16.

"Andrew is in trenches, so we are seperated again as I stay with Headquarters a little way behind. We've had two gas alarms these last three nights, but no gas reached us. There was none anywhere near last night, but on Friday it came close, though it missed us and three men got it badly some way off, and a General slightly. Others got it here, where we are now. (We have moved since Friday)

Andrew is splendid, the only bother being that he fusses so about me. An Officer last night said that while the gas alarm was going last night some distance from him down the line, and most people had the wind up, he was 'carrying on' counting jam tins ! If you are ready for gas with helmet in a certain position, it only takes three seconds to slip it over your head, so there is no need to worry till the alarm is given ! He is known in the Battalion as 'Brave Buxton !' "

From Andrew.

Trench I. B.E.F.,

2 p.m., Wednesday, 21-6-16.

"I saw a lot of Arthur last night. He came up to tea, and stayed till about 2.30 this morning, being very interested in a little night experience in this life."

To his Mother.

Billets, B.E.F.,

6 p.m., Sunday, 26-6-16.

"I have just finished having a Service for the Company on a meadow just outside where we are. Arthur has gone to another farm to take a Service for other of our men.

It was very nice having it."

9 p.m., Sunday.

"Just had supper so peacefully at a table in the middle of a meadow in lovely bright evening sun. The men are all in good spirits, laughing and ragging, pigs walkiing about, one man drilling four young calves in the meadow - 'form fours,' 'cover off' 'form single file,' and other orders to the accompniment of loud cheers from others smoking in the field. The farm people, a huge family party of all ages, bringing in cows to milk, etc.

Arthur has had my gramophone, given me by that shop, but I only heard it for the first time this evening. We have also had that during supper. Not a sound of warfare, except lovely aeroplanes quite low overhead. My feelings are so strange. All this peaceful scene, and absence of warfare, and yet so letely we have lost from our numbers - two men buried a few days ago, and others hit. It is so weird.

Since I wrote this, there has been an excellent improptu entertainment by a Rifleman (1) also in the meadow, causing much enthusiasm. It is a great joy to have such good spirits.

Arthur has a football, which is most useful for the men. I wish I had my gun here for wood-pigeons, who quite disregard mankind just now.

Arthur and Brown were out for a stroll last night about 10, and came across a woman and a small child with her - she appears to have been hunting for a boy of hers, aged about five. Brown knew that a small boy had turned up at our "D" Coy., so took her there. She wept with joy to find it was her boy. I think it was the second night that he had been with "D" Coy. ! She said she could not stop him running after soldiers."

(1) Corporal Bodimead.

To his Mother.

B.E.F.,

July 5, 1916.

"Pigot told me yesterday to put up another 'star,' though I do not think I am gazetted yet. This will, I know, please you as it does me. I congratulate you on having three Captain sond !"

Marina,

I have no idea at all unless it was to do with the canteen he was setting up for the Brigade, stock-take ??, who knows.

Andy

To his Father.

B.E.F., Trench 2,

July 11, 1916.

"..........We 'lived' yesterday for a special 'show' of ours on last night at 1 a.m. to-day. Up to then the ordinary cracks of Bosch bullets (high over where I am as I am in dead ground) every second or two, then at 1 a.m. precisely a very heavy opening of our guns soon to be answered by the Bosch guns. We had a rare row for an hour, during which interesting things happened. I was rather particularly pleased that Arthur was a great help in our dressing station, where I am also quartered. He helped a lot with one fellow especially who was badly hit. You would like to see a dressing station out here at the Front, probably either a sandbag place or the cellar of a shelled down farm. I don't believe any one would mind seeing the dressing done out here - it is so different to civil life ! Even fellows very bad indeed in such good spirits and joking very likely to others round. Last night several in waiting to be dressed by the Doctor, smoking and talking and discussing things taken from the Bosch trenches.

One of my Corporals (a man from Norwich) tremendously pleased coming back with a Bosch marching order of equipment, and pack; also German gong, trench notice board, etc."

July 10, 1916. His dairy says :

"Everything living for our 'stunt' to-night. Black faces, bombs, rum. Latta killed, also Orchard and two others, 33 wounded."

Dairy, July 15, 1916. (In Trenches)

"A peaceful day except for minnies. Blew up our Stokes gun and 97 rounds."

The trench raid that Andrew's diary mentions is also mentioned in Robert Vernede's book. The War Diary says of this raid:-

On 10th, a party of forty N.C.O.'s and Riflemen under 2nd Lieutenants E.G. Kemp, C.J. Chamberlain and G.W. Latter raided the German trenches. About twelve Germans were killed for certain and many identifications were brought back. Our own casualties were 2nd Lieutenant G.W. Latter and five N.C.O.'s killed and thirty four N.C.O.'s and Riflemen wounded. Nearly all these casualties were amongst men in the Company who were not taking part in the raid and were caused by a heavy barrage that the Germans put on our trenches. The following immediate awards were given : D.C.M., Sergeant F. Smith; Military Medals, Corporal S. Harrison and Rifleman W. Shirley.

The Orchard mentioned in Andrew's diary was - Rifleman James Orchard, #3729, who came from Southampton and is buried in Pond Farm Cemetery, who's plaque and trio I have in my collection.

post-1871-1166236079.jpg

Orchard,

The plaque was re-united with the trio thanks to Derek Robertson, last year, and is a fine example of the great work Derek is doing.

post-1871-1166237234.jpg

Billets,

July 16, 1916.

"If allowed and able I could indeed write you much, but alas ! No ! I got to where I am about 3.30 this morning.

..........The Company were kept late as they had to undertake a weird and decidedly anxious job (which I may not reveal) but which got through all right.......... Had a glorious bath.

...................You can imagine what this is after several days of not having boots or clothes off except to change socks...........It is a very real feeling of selfishness that I have being in the midst of things of such intense interest of various things doing. It is a great day to live in and I am thankful in the extreme to be so fit and able to see it !"

It's great to have some input into such a history as Andy is building here. :)

To his Mother.

Billets, B.E.F.,

July 17, 1916.

"I have just managed to turn the half-grown Billy goat out of my hut where it has inspected everything............

There is no reason to think the Germans are chained to their guns so don't believe the statement as made in the papers........ I told you a 'stunt' mentioned in the papers was not dine by us (the 3rd), but we did one the other night. A great many have been done all down the line lately. They are all bound to be decidedly exciting, as it may all go smoothly or be a smash up. The night of our special one I was with my Coy. about 300 yards behind the front line [R.E. Farm] - the men who had been training for it for a few days, came up from behind at 10 p.m. their faces blackened so as not to show up and each had a white mark to identify one another..........Watches were of course synchronized and the men were to be in the front Bosch line at a certain moment. The Bosch wire had been prviously cut by our artillery fire.......The fact of no machine gun fire from the Bosch lines made me nervous as I feared they had got wind up of the move and had their machine guns fixed ready to meet it. Our artillery fire was intense. In spite of the Bosch artillery and a beautiful barrage they put on, our men got in all right though the wire was not quite cut and cocoa-matting had to be used to get over it. We killed a certain number of Bosch, but brought back no prisoners - though several interesting things from dug-outs and trenches. One of my men insisted, though wounded, in bringing back a souvenir - a bit of Bosch barbed wire ! We got ceveral complete Bosch equipments, trench gong (for giving gas alarm) and whistle, trench notice board, bayonets, helmets, clothing of all sorts, and letters, rations, biscuits etc. (the unit was clearly identified); also a bit of bacon in a parcel from 'home.' We left no one in Bosch trenches but we had a few casualties. One man was killed in'No Mans Land' on his way back to our lines - his body was recovered next night.

.............We are sgifting huts, bivouacs and tents from this farm to a short way off as it is not healthy enough.

The men are being kept much too busy with working parties etc., and not getting enough sleep or time off, but I hope this may improve."

ON THE SOMME: THE BATTLE OF GUILLEMONT

July - August, 1916.

On July 24, 1916, the Battalion left Neuve Eglise for the Somme district. Andrew writes in his diary on the 24th:

"Arrangements re moving. Diners at 11 a.m. Moved off 1 p.m. Entrained at Bailleul. Left 4.28 p.m., men in trucks; we in 3rd Classes."

July 25.

"Got to Amiens (Longueval) at 1.30 a.m. Detrained and marched back one and a half hours when halted for cookers and breakfast. Then on to Riencourt (about 14 miles in all). Men very done, feet very bad."

The next fortnight was spent in attack practice and 'dress rehearsals' prior to taking part in the great Somme fighting.

Here follow extracts from letters of this time.

To his Father.

July 26, 1916.

"........... At the moment I can imagine nothing more absolutely perfect than to now go up to Scotland for a month with the War over ! Still it will come again some year soon, I hope. It is very excellent being O.C. Coy., though it is not all of smoothest sailing or of the pleasantest, as troubles of discipline etc., are certain to be present pretty frequently......."

To his Mother.

July 28, 1916.

"...........I can't quite place myself as Captain at present or appreciate that I am referred to when I overhear men speaking of me as 'the Captain.' The one thing I am thankful for is to be be it in a regular and really crack Battalion......... My letters are hopelessly short and uninteresting, for which you must forgive............. I think all the time so much of you and want to tell you everything, but it must not be done..............The whole of Longueval and Delville Wood seem to be ours......"

Diary - July 30, 1916.

"Paraded 7.30 a.m. and went again about three miles for attack practice. Back to dinners. At 5 p.m. unexpected order for valises to be in by 7 p.m. Then orders that we entrain at noon at Picquigny. (July 31) Breakfast 7.30 a.m., marched off (from Riencourt) 9 a.m. Three hours wait for train at Picquigny with packs on. Train to Mericourt (a few miles S.W. of Albert), then marched seven miles to Bois de Tailles. Men badly fell out, very thirsty."

To his Mother.

August 12, 1916.

" 'C' Coy., Arthur included, have just had tea sitting in a wood. Very hot in the sun. Before that I was looking at some Bosch prisoners working near by. To-day Pigot says all men are to cut their trousers down and so make them into 'shorts.' Yesterday we had a march in marching order; first five miles, then a halt which extended to three hours during which time packs were not allowed to be taken off owing to something being expected to arrive at any time, then about seven miles when more men dropped out than I have ever seen so before. It was very hot, but it was largely due to the men finishing their water-bottles too soon and also either having left behind their rations or eaten them over night and so being probably faint from want of food. We had paraded at 9 a.m. and got in at 8.15 p.m. Fortunately the cookers by leaving overnight had got here first and had tea ready. Half the men on getting here at once departed to look for water, with canteens in their hands, but found none; a quart of tea though was ready for each all the time which they had got all right. A good many would have approached drinking a gallon if they had the chance, I think ! I do feel so intensely for fellows feeling seedy like that, and especially through no fault of their own. I did not have my horse and was carrying a good deal, though not so much as the men, but kept cooler than any one I think and felt no worry. It is a blessing to be so fit. One or two men were even sweating through the backs of their jackets, poor dears ! A wash would have been a joy, as you can imagine, but we had to 'turn in' without. I had, though, a good 'bath' in a little water this morning."

To his Mother.

August 4, 1916.

"Just a line before I turn in though I write by the light of a 'ration' candle on my rug in my tent. Chamberlain has just come in and said, 'Well, do they expect me to sleep in this ?' which refers to a terrific bombardment again by our guns of all sizes. He happened to be out om a ridge 'here' at 9.20 at which moment our guns opened, hundreds of them all together on a small front. They all seemed to open (as no doubt arranged) at the same second and, be it said, it was the most terrible and awful thing he has seen out here - the guns with their quick belch forth of flame and the burst of shells or shrapnel beyond. It is just as intense now (10.30) as at 9.20. I went up to the same point soon after we opened - first impression you would say it was some electrical firework display. The guns are not quite a roar, more a sort of rolling and absolutely impossible to judge the number - it might be 10 or it might be 20. Similar firing went on the whole of last night, starting at 10 p.m. In fact it seemed just as intense the whole time. You are making shells all right in England ! Best thanks, we can do with them all !

To his Sister Rosamond.

B.E.F.,

August 6, 1916.

"I have been frightfully depleted lately in N.C.O.'s. Two very valuable ones gone to-day. How I loathe this War. It is too vile for words, and also no sign of any end.

The Bosche are confident, well fed, and strong, from all accounts, so every prospect of sitting here for years."

We got ceveral complete Bosch equipments, trench gong (for giving gas alarm) and whistle, trench notice board, bayonets, helmets, clothing of all sorts, and letters, rations, biscuits etc. (the unit was clearly identified); also a bit of bacon in a parcel from 'home.'

Something else to put in his Poppins bag!

Marina