Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BBC Great War DVD

dunmore44

Hi

I was thinking about treating myself to an early birthday present and splashing out for the the 1964 BBC2 Great War series only 7 DVD. has anyone seen this and is it worth the money

Well worth the money,whatever you pay.

Regards

Joan

def buy,I have it on dvd,also on vhs,any body want vhs cheap make me an offer I cant refuse, you pay p&p,have put it on e bay no takers,if no body wants it its in the charity shop

There is a recent thread on this.

I have to say that it is a brilliant set and I could not recommend it highly enough.

Treat yourself by all means and pay whatever you have to including postage.

Regards

Well worth getting, bought my copy on ebay VHS version, and then transfered to DVD.

If you can transfer to DVD then BIFFO's VHS copy might save you a few bob :D

Regards

Peter

I paid nearly £100 for the DVD box set a few years ago and it was well worth the money!

Lyndon.

Got myself an import copy off of E-Bay for £40,weird Hieroglyphic Cover but the Discs are 100% Quality.In England now Paul VCR is about as extinct as the Dinosaurs.Go and get yourself a DVD RECORDER.Have Fun

thanks for the all the replies, I have just ordered it from N&M press, just need to sweet talk the missus now. wish me luck

thanks for the all the replies, I have just ordered it from N&M press, just need to sweet talk the missus now. wish me luck

You might want to take some advice from armourersergeant - he is quite practised at "sweet talking" on those rare occasions when he buys another book!

Agree with everyone's comments can not rate it highly enough.

I know you have purchased but any other members may want to look at the link to dd home video it is available there for £59:00. Or you can combine it with "The world at war series" £100:00 <_<

The site is worth a browse. I am thinking of buying a three disk set of the Great war which was shown on BBC a couple of years ago, although I dont recall seeing it Curbing my spends at the moment My wife is sick and fed up of becoming a Great War Widow.

http://www.ddhe.co.uk/ps_DESC_The%20Great%20War_1_.htm

Hope the link works never posted one before.

Cheers

Paul

Outstanding collection. Scary to look at all those vets from 1964 and to realize I'm not much younger now than they were then.

Hmm, can feel a song coming on.

Chris

• 4 months later...

I finally bought this set at the weekend and it's fantastic. Why on earth I didn't buy it before I don't know. Well worth the money and an absolute must-see.

Mark

Great stuff - very powerful.

Andy

Yes, it's not just a great series for the content but it takes me back to being the 11 year old boy that watched it transfixed. The voices used are just fantastic and that opening music and Terraines script etc etc.

Fab.

Was bought a copy for Christmas. Fanatstic couldn't stop watching it - "she who must be obeyed" however objected that her festive season was rather spoilt by wall to wall WW1 - seriously though it is the ultimate series!

I have it now and love it but am having a lot of trouble with the DVD itself, bought interregion one and it does not want to read these, every time I have to put in one with US format, let it recognize it, then put one of these in, if I put them in 1st does not read.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest alsuginami

This DVD set is wonderful. I remember seeing the original series on TV as a boy and was thrilled to be able to get aDVD copy last year.

I'm a teacher and am hoping to use the DVD's as part of a course next year. Does anyone know where I could lay my hands on a transcript of the series.

I have it now and love it but am having a lot of trouble with the DVD itself, bought interregion one and it does not want to read these, every time I have to put in one with US format, let it recognize it, then put one of these in, if I put them in 1st does not read.

Paul, can I ask you where you got the dvd with the US format? I've been searching in vain and haven't found one copy yet in that format. Thanks for any help... Tag