Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Halberstadt CLII - 2 color studies

Russell Smith

Thats right. 2 of 'em. I painted one and then decided it wasn't quite what I had in mind, so I painted the scene again. The difference isn't huge, but it is evident. I won't tell you guys yet which one will be the model for the big painting. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on each.

I had originally planned to avoid using the Schlasta 26b markings, as they tend to get used a lot. I finally realized, though, that those markings would work really well with the lighting. Besides, lets face it, that flame motif is really cool.

BTW, the studies are currently available. They measure 11" x 7" and are $350 each. Email me or PM me if you are interested in one.

cheers

Russ

post-11267-1159891634.jpg

post-11267-1159891715.jpg

The bottom one shows the flame markings better, Russell, in fact it shows more detail and in my opinion would look the better.of the two if enlarged. Thought the clouds and sky are a little more lifelike in the top painting, also the landscape detail. But as the picture is about the plane.....

Russell

They're both excellent, but my vote would go to the second/lower painting, probably due to the sharper details of a very good looking aeroplane.

Regards

Gareth

Congratulations, all. You are all right on the mark. The second image is indeed going to be the model for the larger piece. I'm a bit relieved to hear that everyone is in agreement with my decision to re-do the color study.

cheers

Russ

Russell,

you got in before me!!!!

definately the second one, lovely paintings, wish i could do something like that!

Mandy

quote: 'Thought the clouds and sky are a little more lifelike in the top painting'

Spike may be right

But the 'atmosphere' in the second [or lower] painting is much more gripping

Logic beaten by heart

thanks for sharing

Michael

quote: 'Thought the clouds and sky are a little more lifelike in the top painting'

Spike may be right

But the 'atmosphere' in the second [or lower] painting is much more gripping

Logic beaten by heart

thanks for sharing

Michael

Thanks Michael. Atmosphere and mood were what I was really aiming for, so your comment is good to hear.

russ

Bottom one looks like they are going to Hell.

Exactly what what I wanted it to look like, only you said it better that I did. Thanks Owen.

Russ

Top one looks like they are flying to Heaven.

Bottom one looks like they are going to Hell.

What a perfect summary of the two, Owen.

• 3 weeks later...

Russell,

Like both of hem, but if I had to choice, it would be the bottom one.

Regards,

Cnock

Marvelous! That's easily my favorite of the three you posted. And I agree, the second...

Owen - you're a bit of a poet! Do you do Haiku? :)

All the best,

Dan