Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Irish Constabulary (RIC)

stephenh

I have access to the service records of all the 85,000 men who served in this force from 1836 till its disbandenment in 1922.

Of particular note to the forum is the 752 men who served with the colors during the Great War of which 167 were KIA.

I will be more than happy to do look ups for any of the Pals.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your generous offer. It's a long shot, but could you see if a Herbert Malcolm McKee, MC (ex Royal Irish Rifles and ASC) served post 1920?

Many thanks,

James

As a side issue, if someone at the time was in trouble with the RIC in the early 1900s would the records still exist? or only for major offences? If yes where would they be housed?

John

Stepehen

What a great piece of news, and a great offer.

I would appreciate a look up of Harold Clayton. You can see his history here.

Also if you have anything on William English-Murphy, who may have served as William Murphy. Former Lieutenent-Colonel British Army, then Free State Army (a General I believe) and then as a senior man in the RIC.

John,

There are certainly some 'felons' records in the National Archives in Dublin. Sometime back I had reason to look up records for the late 1860's which were recorded by county. I think the recording system would have changed by the 1900's but a query directed to them should get a response.

Joe

James

Success, Found your man details below

Name: Herbert Malcolm Mckee (Cadet) 69950

D.O.B 6 August 1892

Height: "5ft 8 inches "

Native County : Belfast

Religion: Presbyterian

Recommendations: Inspector Generals order of 13 November 1919

Previous Trade or Calling: Ex Army Officer

Appointment Date: 13 November 1919

Although details are scant, this is all that is available on his file. However, we can see that after a distinguished War record Mc kee joined the RIC as a lowly cadet in 1919 but according to a list I have at home he did eventually go on to make officer class becoming a District Inspector.

With regard to his recommendation, I think that an order came from the top recommending those with a distinguished war record for enlistenment. Normally men were recommended by District Inspectors from their native areas or from Regional Magistrates

Chris

Will be back at the archives middle of next week and will check your men then.

However from a small jounal I have here I can tell you that 80248 Harold Clayton was killed on duty in Ballinalee, Co. Longford on 2 February 1921 during the Irish War of Independence. More details to follow

Stephen

Stephen,

Brilliant! Thanks ever so much, that's a great help. So often a man disappears as far as the paper chase goes once the war is over.

Thanks again,

James

• 2 weeks later...

Chris

Apologies about the delay in getting back to you. Anyway here goes.

NAME; 80248 Harold Clayton (Temporary Cadet)

D.O.B 30th December 1896

NATIVE COUNTY Yorkshire

COUNTIES WITH WHICH CONNECTED Northumberland

FORMER TRADE OR CALLING Ex Army Officer

DATE OF APPOINTMENT 1 JAN 1921

Not much information on his file. However he was one of the last to enlist and only served for just over a month before his death on duty in Longford on 2 February as mentioned earlier.

Regarding William Murphy, is it possible you can give me some more details such as D.O.B or place of birth, the reason being there are over 50 William Murphys listed. Had a look through some of them, most being labourers, farm workers etc.. on enlistment, hardly your man.

Stephen

• 1 year later...

Hi Stephen,

I have just found this site and hope that you can still do a couple of check-ups, please.

1. Visit to Ireland 1903 Medal - named to C. G. McCOY, RIC.

2. Visit to Ireland 1900 Medal - named to 'S. W. MILLER, RIC'

I assume the first letter 'S' indicates that he was a Sergeant??

Despites checks at the NA and the Garda Archives I cannot locate a Sergeant W. MILLER who was serving in the RIC at the time of the Royal Visit in 1900??

Do you have access [or can you tell me how I can get access] to the 1901 Census for Ireland, please.

Hoping that you can assist as I cannot get back the the NA until Autumn.

Ian.

Ian

Looking up my A to Z of officers served in the RIC I have come across 3 for McCoy

48266 Charles McCoy enlisted according to No. between May 1881 & April 1882

42440 George McCoy enlisted between Feb 1875 & May 1875

53739 George McCoy enlisted around April 1890

As for Miller

37177 William Miller enlisted late 1870, so there is every possibility that this man was in his 30th year of service upon the Royal visit of 1900. There are a few other W. Millers listed however they all joined the RIC well before or indeed after the visit,so I feel confident that this is your man.

Hope this helps a bit.

Stephen

Steve. Is it possible you could look up any entries for the surname Guerins or Guerin, serving round about 1870 onwards. Any help appreciated. We think there is a relation who was a sergeant but we're not sure, having only seen a reference in an old Waterford Newapaper. Regards Steve.

John.

Would you please look up my grandfather in law John Lawrence.

Any details would be most welcome.

Many thanks.

Regards.

Tom Burnell

Stephen,

I would be interested in any information you have on 24512 Pte Patrick Beirne he served with the Royal Irish Fusiliers and was killed on the 11th April 1917, I believe he served as a constable in the RIC.

Regards

Andy

Steve

12 Guerin on my list

Nearest enlistment date for 1870 would be;

41618 James Guearin around June 1875

Tom

2 men which might be relevant to you;

64655 John H Lawrence enlisted summer 1909

55959 John J Lawrence enlisted spring 1893

Ali

No Albert Pike or Pyke for that matter served I'm afraid

Andy

Difficult one this. There were a total of 28 Patrick Beirnes having listed as serving with the RIC. The following are a few that enlisted after 1900.

60998 early 1900

63847 October 1907

64499 Summer 1909

67044 December 1912

One of these I think would be your man. Sorry I cant offer any more at this time.

Regards

Stephen

Many thanks for the lookup for John Lawrence. I will have to find his middle initial as it does not seem to be in his ww1 records either. I will ask his son. I know he would have joined the RIC from Enniskerry or Dublin.

Many thanks.

Regards.

Tom.

I was just on to his son and he says that his fathers initial is T for Thomas and he would have joined in Dublin. Does this ring a bell?

John Thomas Lawrence, he had the 1911 medal if that helps. He was in the Royal Artillery around 1902 and was also in ww1.

regards.

Tom.

Tom

Cant really add anything else except what I have given you. I even checked under the surname spelt Laurence but with no luck. Its a strange one this ;)

Stephen

Steve.Thanks for the look up. Could you possibly PM me those 12 names and any info you have . Would be much obliged. Regards Steve.

I very much appreciate your efforts.

many thanks.

Tom.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to bother you again but would you please look up E Slevin, he was a private No 34160 in the asc in ww1 and as far as I know joined the RIC in the North. Would you have anything on him please?

Kind regards.

Tom