Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Red Cross Lists of the Missing

chrrip

The NA has one for 1917, IWM another 2 for 1918; any others out there?

I have British Red Cross and Order of St. John Enquiry List No 14, 1917 wounded and missing.

Containing all enquiries up to and including July 20th 1917. Dated August 1st 1917.

steve

Quite a few are held at the British Red Cross Archive and many years ago for a donation they would copy anything you required, since then I'm led to believe this practice has stopped and they now have a set fee. Fortunately for me I got all of those sections relating to the Northumberland Fusiliers during the donation period.

There is also rumoured to be a full set held at the Red Cross Archive in Switzerland, but they seem to keep their cards close to their chest when enquiries are made on this one.

Graham.

I have British Red Cross and Order of St. John Enquiry List No 14, 1917 wounded and missing.

Containing all enquiries up to and including July 20th 1917. Dated August 1st 1917.

steve

Thanks Steve; a copy of this one is held by the NA; only one out of all the entries was a PoW in the 5th londons

Quite a few are held at the British Red Cross Archive and many years ago for a donation they would copy anything you required, since then I'm led to believe this practice has stopped and they now have a set fee. Fortunately for me I got all of those sections relating to the Northumberland Fusiliers during the donation period.

There is also rumoured to be a full set held at the Red Cross Archive in Switzerland, but they seem to keep their cards close to their chest when enquiries are made on this one.

Graham.

Thanks Graham Can you remember how many lists there were, and were any published fro 1915, Thanks

They seem to have been published weekly in the early years and fortnightly later on, with additional supplementary lists and the earliest one held at the British Red Cross Archive is dated February 1915. The BRCA hold the following list's;-

Feb 1915

18th May 1915

17th July 1915

24th July 1915

31st July 1915

7th Aug 1915

14th Aug 1915

4 Sept 1915

18th Sept 1915(Supplementary List only)

1st Sept 1916

15th Sept 1916

1st Aug 1917

1st Oct 1918

1st Dec 1918

As mentioned earlier Red Cross H.Q. in Switzerland are rumoured to have a full run.

Graham.

Hello !

Please excuse me for intruding on this topic, but could someone please advise if these records would include members of the Australian army whose next of kin were resident in the UK ? If so, could you kindly advise how I go about looking up an individual ?

Thanks & regards

Wayne

Hello !

Please excuse me for intruding on this topic, but could someone please advise if these records would include members of the Australian army whose next of kin were resident in the UK ? If so, could you kindly advise how I go about looking up an individual ?

Thanks & regards

Wayne

It has British, Aussie, Canadian, South African enquiries.

Example -

1st Battalion A.I.F.

C Company, ASHFORD, E, 3228 K, Nov. 5/16. Det.D/B (Killed, Details of Death Burial Asked)

Hello Steve !

Thank you for taking the time to reply. The man I am researching is 447 Sergeant John McGREEHIN of the 9th Battalion AIF, who died on 22 August 1916 and has no known grave.

How do I manage to see if the Red Cross have a file on him and obtain a copy of it ?

Thanks & regards

Wayne

Wayne,

You already have the information that would be in the enquiry lists. However the AWM have the Australian Red Cross Missing and Wounded Files on line. I have checked for McGreehin but it is not returning any entires. They seem to have recently changed the search system so that you can now only search on names so if he is there but not spelt correctly it is not possible to use the rest of the information to do a search. The Red Cross in Geneva may have some records but I would have thought that it was unlikely. Merely being missing is not a reason for him being in the enquiry lists. The Red Cross also recycled some of the earlier documents.

Doug

Hello Doug !

Thank you for getting back to me. It seems no investigation was requested by his sister to discover what had happened to him - hence no report.

Regards

Wayne

• 11 months later...

steve

Hi ive been viewing old posts and came accross yours i wonder if PRIVATE 12044 William Denby 10th battalion Duke of Wellingtons is in your list?

Regards

Andy

I have the same enquiry list, so I hope Steve won't mind me jumping in. Only three missing names are under the 10th Duke of Wellington's list - Francis Seed, A Coy 1st Platoon, 29244 missing June7/17

Cpl John Stewart, A Coy, 11214, missing June 22/17

Sgt George Peacock, D Coy, 12120, wounded and missing June 7/17.

No Denby I'm afraid.

Incidentally, this list was published hardback by Sunset Militaria and Ray Westlake books in 1989. If anyone is interested, it could be looked for on ABE books, where there are several paperback copies of the republished version by Naval & Military press for under a tenner.

I have the same enquiry list, so I hope Steve won't mind me jumping in.

Feel free to jump in. I have just returned from visiting my Notts & Derby men's graves in Notts and Derbys.

sm

Thankyou for the reply and trying to help me

Regards

Andy