Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

North Irish Horse War Diaries

Gerry Chester

:D

Excellent results Gerry, have you also added the war diaries from when the Reg't became part of the Cyclist Corps? Reason i ask, is that there are two or three volumes up in the Regimental museum in the camp!

tim

Thank you for the information Tim, it is appreciated. During my upcoming visit to England Hugh and I intend to visit Kew to try and track down the part of A Squadron Diary still not transcribed - also to look for any references in the Cyclist Corps Diaries. That there are records in Dunmore Park suggests that the Regiment did indeed keep a diary additional to the one of the Corps. During my visit to the UK I will be going to Northern Ireland to visit with NIH friends - hence your lead is most helpful, thank you.

Best wishes, Gerry

:D

Hi Gerry,

You're welcome! the diaries they have are hand written in bound volumes, and do throw up some good info such as officially sewing small type hooks onto the bottoms of the greatcoats so they could be fastened up above the knees (probably to stop water soaking in!), and also info on clearing dugouts but to check for mines (explosives) hidden in the wall cavities!!

They also have a list of all the stores issued to the horse when part of the cyclist corps in regards to hotchkiss guns, etc.

tim

p.s. the horse were part of the 5th cyclist corps if that's any help!

Any info on war diaries for October 1918? Took a pupil to see grave of his relative 41396 F J Best 9th North Irish Horse RIF / 1115 NIH. He is the only NIH grave in Dadizele Cemetery in eastern flanders DOW 3 oct 1918. Diaries mention him as missing in March 1918 but no info on the battalion for the Autumn 1918.

Doc

Any info on war diaries for October 1918? Took a pupil to see grave of his relative 41396 F J Best 9th North Irish Horse RIF / 1115 NIH. He is the only NIH grave in Dadizele Cemetery in eastern flanders DOW 3 oct 1918. Diaries mention him as missing in March 1918 but no info on the battalion for the Autumn 1918.

Doc

There are still some more files to be located at Kew then, if found, photographed. During my upcoming visit to Belfast I am hoping to find at lot more useful material relative the the Regiment in both World Wars. Anyway, Hugh can give you a more defintive answer on this.

There are actually five of the NIH Who Rest Forever in Dadizeele War Cemetery. See:

http://www.nih.ww2site.com/nih/memorium/ww1/graves.html

Incidentally, if anyone has information (or photographs) about those who served in WWI I would be most grateful to hear from them.

Gerry

PS As soon as I receive confirmation from Steve Brew, grandson of Major John Brew, 2nd I/C 9th Bn, to reproduce some fascinating material he sent, relative to the period of intertest to you, I will post it to the Forum.

• 2 months later...
Hello,

Thanks to splendid help from two friends, whose names appear on the following link, the War Diaries are now on my site. See: http://www.nih.ww2site.com/nih/Documents/Index.html

With best wishes to one and all.

Gerry

New link to NIH WWI War Diaries here: -

http://www.northirishhorse.org/memorium/ww1/WarDiaries.html

Thanks to Gerry