Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Music and songs from the First World War

barrieduncan

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a good cd of songs and music from World War One? I'v seen hundreds for WW2 but can't seem to find anything Great War. Amazon had one called 'Keep the Home Fires Burning', but it's now discontinued.

All suggestions appreciated,

Barrie

We're Here Because We're Here - Crocodile Records 5 038531 000065. Some caution with the lyrics on a couple of songs.

Great Songs of the Great War - British Heritage Ltd 5 027394 000442

Regards

John

Contact the National Army Museum Shop (0207 730 0717 and ask for the Shop) - they have quite a selection including several of those mentioned here.

Hallo

May I say the best British cd's of the war I have ever come across are as follows:

"Oh! It's a Lovely War" Vol 1- This includes Sgt E Dwyer, VC winner at Hill 60 and probably the only voice of a VC winner actually recorded during the War. Also he was used for recruiting purposes, hence the recording. He was killed at Mametz wood and is buried in Flat Iron Copse Cemetery, Somme.

It also has the recording of the Gas Shell Bombardment (British troops advancing on Lille), though its authenticity has been questioned in recent years { another topic here). It still sounds good though.

One of the best CD's I've heard.

Then you have 'The great War' CD, by Pearl. More or less the same, with all of most of the above and at a cheaper price, if you can find it!

Then you have 'DANKBAARHEID IS HERINNEREN' - Lest We Forget, by The Band Of The Light Division.

It includes Last Post, Reveille, Jerusalem, Call to attention, Last Post etc.

I bought my copy in the Flandes Field Musuem, where it is still for sale. A good musical copy, with the buglers, but not of the original period as the two above.

Hope this helps.

Danke

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

• 1 month later...

I would like to suggest another CD for you to consider.

Log on to www.songshed.co.uk and select BOYS OF THE ISLAND.

You can hear samples on line. My favourite is JOHN CONDON.

johng

I have all the CDs mentioned here (except for Great Songs of the Great War), and they are all quite good.

Also the IWM has "Your Country Needs You: Music from the Great War, 1914-1918" and there is also "Songs of WWI: From Original Recordings, 1914-1926" (2 CD-set) [Take-Two Records]. Besides Amazon and contacting the individual museums, ebay, I don't know where else one might get them--most of these are available at the already mentioned firstworldwar.com site. Kathleen Smith has a new book coming out on WWI music; there are several good studies done on WWI music that might also prove interesting.

Thanks again for the suggestions. A kind forum friend helped me out with a cd, which was just what I was looking for - but will def try out some of the ones mentioned above.

Thanks again,

Barrie

Barrie

I visited Talbot House in Poperinge on Saturday. They have a very good collection of CDs available. 1 of the CDs is available at Talbot House and the In Flanders Field Museum only. Might I recommend you have a quick look at the web site or, better still, call them, or even better, visiti them and find out for yourself.

Chers

Garth

• 5 months later...

hello there check out 'Boys of the Island cd' about the soldiers that left ireland to fight in the First World War a great song called john condon

• 4 months later...
I would like to suggest another CD for you to consider.

Log on to www.songshed.co.uk and select BOYS OF THE ISLAND.

You can hear samples on line. My favourite is JOHN CONDON.

johng

Also recorded by the excellent Flossie Malavaille.

If you are willing to spend a few hours browsing through a lot of boring stuff the Canadian Archives site has a fairly extensive collection of historical recordings. Perhaps a good place to start is the Listen page of The Virtual Gramophone. Unfortunately, I have not figured out how to zoom in on the Great War era stuff, so we may have to browse to entire list.

As an example, here is Tipperary sung by Stanley Kirkby , recorded in London and released in December of 1914.