Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who came up with the idea of wound stripes

Simon R

Who came up with the idea of wound stripes for the British?

When were they instituted?

Was it FM Wm. Robertson as Chief IGS?

• 5 months later...

It was 1918 IIRC - Grumpy's your man to have chapter and verse I reckon.

It was 1918 IIRC - Grumpy's your man to have chapter and verse I reckon.

It was actually 1916, I believe AO 249 of 1916, either July or August time frame. This could be wrong as I'm going from memory..

Have no idea who actually thought it up.

Joe Sweeney

Joe,

What happened with multiple wounds were they examples of recipients with more than say 3 or 4, and if so has any one got photos to show.

Cheers,

Rob

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rob B @ Dec 7 2006, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Joe,

What happened with multiple wounds were they examples of recipients with more than say 3 or 4, and if so has any one got photos to show.

Cheers,

Rob

Rob,

Each time a soldier was entered on casualty rolls he was entitled to a badge. It gets complicated, as somethings counted some did not and this changed--being gassed was not reason at first but this changed. I have trhe effects of a Canadian (27th Bn) who was awarded a badge due to an abscess in the groin.

I think I've seen photos of soldiers with at least 5 or 6 badges. If he was hit three times at a single go and admitted as a casualty I believe he recieved one badge. Award depended on separate occurances.

I'm going from memory again, so corrections will be forth coming. A good search through the forum, data base will bring up lots of info.

Joe Sweeney

Simon,

Here is Bob Doneley's contribution on a similar thread:

The Official History of the Australian Army Medical Services 1914-1918 Vol II states that the DGMS BEF (Director General Medical Services, British Expeditionary Forces) in 1916 issued the followed definitions:

1) A "wound" means an injury caused by or arising from the enemy and includes injuries by rifle and gunfire, by bombs, bayonet, liquid fire, etc. Shock to the nervous system caused by bursting shell, and the inhalation of poison gases, although producing no visible trauma, are to be regarded as wounds.

2) Casualties due to injuries independent of any act of the enemy are to be entered as "Sick" but may be marginally noted as 'injury accidental'.

3) When a casualty arrives from the front suffering from any trauma not marked 'wound' such casualty will be classified as sick notwithstanding any statement made by the patient as to the trauma having being caused by the act of the enemy.

http://www.awm.gov.au/cms_images/histories...chapters/13.pdf

Wound stripes were instituted in July 1916. With their introduction came a requirement to record all wounds; prior to July 1916 a man who was lightly wounded and remained on duty was not recorded as having being wounded. With official recognition of any wound, men who fell into this category were now recorded as "wounded in action - remained on duty" - and subsequently there was a 'statistical' rise in the number of wounded.

Bob

There is a move afoot here in Canada to replace the traditional wound stripe issued to troops with a US-style Purple Heart-type award. Not going over well with many folks.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rob B @ Dec 7 2006, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Joe,

Cheers,

Rob

Attached is an image of an Australian Major, with three wound badges.

post-6040-1165556602.jpg

This from The Times 7/7/16 might give the inspiration:

post-1722-1165572210.jpg

regards

Simon

Thanks for that, and what an impressive picture.

Rob

This is the image I intended to submit last time.

post-6040-1165585453.jpg