Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

North Riding Heavy Battery

KONDOA

Do any Chums have any details regarding this battery around 26th April 1918. I am aware they were somewhere near Mount Kemmel but need a bit more detail if it is out there. Particular reference to casualties on this date or just before.

Many Thanks in Advance.

Roop

Roop

Attached is the Allocation list for the above which as you can see had an identity issue. I don't have anything else on them but at least knowing this may help

Stuart

post-6041-1145919326.jpg

Stuart,

Its not an Identity issue it is Northumbria as was the RFA and RAMC. Northumbria is North of the Humber units could well have been created as far south as Hull. This one was Scarborough and North.

Regards Charles

Yes , Joseph is correct they are one and the same, main recruitment around Middlesborough .

Stuart

Thanks again for the info, useful as always Ta!

Roop

Roop

A war diary for the 1/1 Northumbrian or North Riding Hvy Bty is at the National Archive under the following ref:-

WO 95/472 1/1 Northumbrian Heavy Battery Royal Garrison Artillery 1914 Aug. - 1916 Mar

Now, just to make things confusing, a quick search reveals a 2/1 North Riding Heavy Battery who also have a diary at the NA under the following ref:-

WO 95/5462 Divisional Troops: 2/1 North Riding Heavy Battery Royal Garrison Artillery 1915 Oct. - 1919 Mar

The odd thing is that there is no 2/1 North Riding Hvy Bty on the Allocation list or in the Order of Battle. I am at a loss at the moment to explain the second diary. It could be a NA typo as it states Divisional troops suggesting RFA.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

I would suspect a mis cataloguing as I certainly have no info re 2/1 NRHB. I shall order the pages relevant to the battery and date and see what it contains.

Roop