Initials: H T

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Berkshire Regiment

Secondary Regiment: Northamptonshire Regiment

Secondary Unit Text: attd. 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 29/05/1918

Awards: DSO and Bar, MC

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: VII. A. C. 12.

Cemetery: TERLINCTHUN BRITISH CEMETERY, WIMILLE

Cricinfo website provides the following information:

England

Player profile

Full name Harold Thomas Forster

Born November 14, 1878, St Faith, Winchester, Hampshire

Died May 29, 1918, Bouleuse Ridge, near Ventalay, France (aged 39 years 196 days)

Major teams Hampshire

Batting style Left-hand bat

Bowling style Left-arm slow-medium

Batting and fielding averages

class mat inns no runs hs ave 100 50 ct st

First-class 5 8 3 33 13 6.59 0 0 3 0

Bowling averages

class mat balls runs wkts bbi ave econ sr 5 10

First-class 5 494 212 10 5/38 21.19 2.57 49.39 1 0

Career statistics

First-class span 1911

Born on November 14, 1878, at Winchester. Wisden failed to accord him an obituary, yet he was one of the most decorated of all cricketers, being awarded the DSO and bar and the MC and bar. He went to the Front at the beginning of the First World War as a CSM with the Royal Berkshire Regiment, attached to the Northamptonshire Regiment. When he was killed in action on May 29, 1918, near Ventalay, France, aged 39, he was a Major in command of a battalion. A left-arm medium slow bowler, he played in five games for Hampshire in 1911 and created a great impression on his debut when he took 9-92 in the match, but in his other four games he took just one more wicket.

Regards

David

This is his mention in the Bn War Diary on the wared of his MC

2nd Royal Berkshire Tuesday 18th July 1916 France, BETHUNE

In billets at BETHUNE. Lieut H.T. FORSTER awarded Military Cross for distinguished conduct in the FIELD.

This is the Bn War Diary entry for his DSO

2nd Royal Berkshire Friday 31st August 1917 France, IN THE FIELD MAP REF 1/40,000 SHEET 28 S.W.4

Battalion in "Canteen Corner" Camp in Divisional Reserve.

Admissions to Hospital during month 29 O.R.

Discharge from Hospital 4 O.R.

Honours and Awards.

The undermentioned Officer and NCO were awarded Decorations as shown for Gallantry and Devotion to Duty during a Raid on the German Trenches near HOOGE on the night 10/11 July 1917.

MILITARY CROSS.

2nd Lieut J.B.M. YOUNG.

DISTINGUISHED CONDUCT MEDAL.

No. 8536 Sergt A. STURGESS.

BAR TO MILITARY MEDAL.

No. 12784 Private F. Betcher.

The undermentioned NCOs and men were awarded Military Medal and Parchment Certificate for Gallantry and Devotion to Duty near YPRES during Operations 31st July 1917 and 1st August 1917.

MILITARY MEDAL.

No. 10633 Sergt F. POWELL.

No. 33357 L/Sergt J. AUSTIN.

No. 8093 Pte W. WICKS.

No. 10663 Pte J. CHALK.

PARCHMENT CERTIFICATE.

No. 18302 Corporal G. BURBIDGE.

No. 9270 Pte T. CREFFIELD.

No. 8920 Rifleman T. CARRAWAY attached.

The undermentioned Officers were awarded Decorations as stated for Gallantry and Devotion to Duty East of YPRES on 31st July to 1st August 1917.

DISTINGUISHED SERVICE ORDER.

A/Captain H.T. FORSTER MC.

MILITARY CROSS.

A/Captn H.H. FLINT.

Lieut A.F.R. BROWN.

2/Lieut N.D. BAYLEY.

PARCHMENT CERTIFICATE.

2/Lieut J. NELSON.

(Signed)

A.A.H. Hanbury-Sparrow

Lieut Colonel

Commanding 2nd Bn Royal Berkshire Regiment.

1st September 1917.

And the Bn War Diary entry for the Bar to his MC

2nd Royal Berkshire Sunday 30th September 1917 France, IN THE FIELD REF MAP SHEET 36 NW 1/20,000

Battalion in MENEGATE CAMP in Divisional Reserve. 18 O.R. joined Battalion.

HONOURS and AWARDS.

The undermentioned Officers, NCOs and Men were awarded Decorations as stated for Gallantry and Devotion to Duty East of YPRES between 15th and 17th August 1917.

BAR to DISTINGUISHED SERVICE ORDER.

Lieut Colonel A.A. HANBURY-SPARROW DSO MC.

BAR to MILITARY MEDAL.

A/Captn and Adjutant H.T. FORSTER DSO MC.

MILITARY CROSS.

A/Captn G.W. MANT.

Lieut O.S. FRANCIS.

Captn C.W. FOWLER RAMC.

DISTINGUISHED CONDUCT MEDAL.

No 7255 A/Corporal S. GRANT.

No 20230 A/Sergt W.A. CONNOR.

No 201490 Sergt H.L. AUST.

No 19216 Pte R. IDA.

BAR TO MILITARY MEDAL.

No 10633 Sergt F. POWELL.

MILITARY MEDAL.

No 21985 Pte F. CRIDDLE

No 11670 Pte F. COLLINS.

No 37424 L/C F. FEAVIOUR.

No 17573 Pte G. KING.

No 8129 L/C J.H. COTTERILL.

No 17367 Pte J. FITZGERALD.

No 9270 Pte T. CREFFIELD.

No 10655 Pte C. PEARCE.

No 17437 L/C A.J. GUTTERIDGE.

No 9423 Pte J. TWOMEY.

No 12879 L/C F. NEALE.

No 8652 Pte E. DEFFEE.

No 10763 Pte A.T. BRION.

No 22278 Pte F.T. COXHEAD.

ADMISSIONS to Hospital during Month 29 O.R.

DISCHARGES 16 O.R.

(Signed)

A.A. Hanbury-Sparrow

Lieut Colonel

Commanding 2nd Bn Royal Berkshire Regiment.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble with providing me with more detail concerning Harold Forster.

Regards

David

LG, 9.1.18: "Forster, Harold Thomas, MC. Lt, R Berks regt. For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He took over command of his battalion when his colonel had become a casualty, and led them with great skill to their objective, twice changing direction in order to avoid hostile barrage. He then made a personal reconnaissance and ascertained the position of the enemy, after which he formed a defensive flank, and was able to re-establish his line when it had been driven back by determined hostile couner-attacks. He remained perfectly cheerful throughout, showing a fine example of fearlessness and contempt for danger."

L.G. 16.9.18: "Forster, harold Thomas, DSO, MC, Lt (acting Major) The Royal Berks regt, attached Northamptonshire regt. For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He assumed command of his battalion when his colonel was killed, and by his coolness and skill extricated it from a critical situation and formed a defensive flank of the utmost importance. For three days and nights, by his pluck and energy, he set an example to his men of inestimable value under adverse conditions of continuous and heavy shell fire."

No picture in O'm Moore Creagh, I'm afraid

I took an educated guess, and discovered he was an 8th Divn chap, and their history has:

(At Villers Brettoneux): "The 2nd Northants had attacked behind the 13th Australian bde. As soon as they started, they came under very heavy artillery fire which caused serious casualties to the battalion HQ party, the CO, Lt Col S G Latham, MC, being killed and the Adjutant, Capt H Essame, being wounded almost immediately. Maj H T Forster took over command and after clearing the southern edge of the Bois d'Aquenne the Bn swung left towards the southern portion of the village. When within 500 yards of the railway they were met by fierce machine gun fire directed from that position down the steep bare slope which formed a natural glacis in front of it and were unable to get on. The casualties here were very severe. Finally side-stepping to the right, they got into touch with the left of the Australian troops and formed a defensive flank to the Australian left, to the south of the village and facing north." That was 24th April 1918.

Then, on page 236, relating to 29th May, on the Aisne front: "Reinforcements were, none the less, urgently required and were fortunately forthcoming in the shape of 7 machine guns and a composite battalion, commanded by Maj H T Forster, and made up of stragglers, details and other oddments, chiefly of the 8th Division, which general Heneker had collected together and held in divisional reserve at Sarcy." No further mention of him, there, I'm afraid.

My history of Hampshire CCC, published in 1958, by Arlott, Eagar, Altham and Webber, doesn 't mention him at all, I'm afraid. Trail goes a bit cold then.

Hope this helps.

regards

Steven

Citations in case you don't have them:

LG 27-6-1916

Announcment of M.C.

Coy. Sjt.-Maj. (now 2nd Lt.) H. T. Forster, 2nd Bn., R. Berks. R.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

LG 19-8-1916

MC Citation

Coy. S./M. (now 2nd Lt.) Harold Thomas Forster, R. Berks. R.

For gallantry and devotion to duty. A very gallant warrant officer, he has maintained the same standard in the performance of his duties.

LG 26-9-1917

Announcement of DSO

Lt. Harold Thomas Forster, M.C., R. Berks. R.

LG 9-1-1918

Citation:

Lt. Harold Thomas Forster, M.C., R. Berks.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He took over command of his battalion when his colonel had become a casualty, and led them with great skill to their objective, twice changing direction in order to avoid hostile barrage. He then made a personal reconnaissance and ascertained the position of the enemy, after which he formed a defensive flank, and was able to re-establish his line when it had been

driven back by determined hostile counterattacks. He remained perfectly cheerful throughout, showing a fine example of fearlessness

and contempt for danger.

LG 16-9-1918

Bar to DSO

Lt. (A./Maj.) Harold Thomas Forster, D.S.O., M.C., R. Berks. R., attd. North'n R.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He assumed command of his battalion when his Colonel was killed, and by his coolness and skill extricated it from a critical situation and formed a defensive flank of

the utmost importance. For three days and nights, by his pluck and energy, he set an example to his men of inestimable valueunder

adverse conditions of continuous and

heavy shell fire.

(D.S.O. gazetted 26th September, 1917.)

Sorry, can't find a picture.

Steve.

LG 16-4-1916

R. Berks. R.—

The undermentioned 2nd Lts. to be Lts. :—

Harold T. Forster. 29th Dec. 1915.

LG 27-7-1916

R. Berks. R.—

The promotion to the rank of Lt. of the undermentioned 2nd Lts. is antedated as follows: —

H. T. Forster to 28th Dec. 1915.

Steve.

Excellent work! Thanks to you both.

Just as a matter of interest I was standing on top of Bouleuse Ridge on friday- following the movements of the remnants of the IX Corps as mentioned in Sidney Rogerson's book 'The Last of the Ebb'.

It was simply by typing in Bouleuse Ridge into goole that I got the Forster link!

Thanks again for your help a little bit more information helping to flesh out my study on the Aisne battle.

PS Steven, I thought you might help out especially withe cricket and DSO connections.

Regards

David

PS Steven, I thought you might help out especially withe cricket and DSO connections.

Regards

David

And I thought only my wife saw me as that transparent!

Actually, Mrs B is decorating the spare room at present (bless her), and has stacked most of my cricket books away. I hope she'll be finishing off soon, so I'll havea rummage, just in case. I won't chivvy her, though...that would be ungentlemanly :D

David,

From Northamptonshire and the Great War, page 48

Early in May the Northamptons relieved the French on the Aisne, with Colonel E G Buckle in command. They remained in the firing line until the 27th May, when the enemy launched a surprise attack at one o'clock in the morning. They kept up a heavy bombardment for three hours. They cut of communications, broke through the french lines, and surrounded the Northamptons headquarters from the rear. The Northamptons put up a valiant fight, but in vain, for the only two to escape were Adjutant Captain Blake, M.C. who was wounded, and the Rgeimental Sergeant Major. When last seen Col. Buckle was standing in front of his dugout in his shirt sleeves with his revolver facing a horde of Germans. He refused to surrender, and was shot down at 4 o'clock in the morning.

In this fight and the subsequent fortnight of retirement, the battalion lost 20 officers and 600 men, its effective strength being reduced to 4 officers and 80 men. Happily, several officers were reported prisoners, but we lost some officers of high promise, including Major H. T. Forster, D.S.O., M.C., Lieutenants R. Lane Hall, and Eric Bostock, M.C., who were killed with their colonel.

From The Northamptonshire Regiment 1914-1918, page 257

... All doubt [of the impending attack] was now removed, and battle positions were taken up at 6 o'clock in the evening. Major Forster and Captain Lenton were sent back for duty in the details camp, in accordance with the system of having a nucleus for re-formation of a battalion in the event of a heavy attack.

[4 pages on the attack on the 27th]

(Major Forster then formed his scratch unit. There is not a great amount of detail on his actions but it might give you an outline)

As my typing finger is not up to a dozen pages, e-mail me and I'll see what I can do for scans on Villers Brettoneux and the Aisne from the Northamptons history.

Steve.

I've e-mailed a contact at Hampshire CCC; I'll let you know if they find anything. Mrs B has restored the spare room to its former glory (well, actually rather better, to be fair!), but there is nothing in any other cricket-related books I have. I guess a total of 5 matches isn't a huge record.

Thanks again Steven for your help.

I was just wondering I think there is a book concerned with cricketers who were killed in the Great War, do you know anything about this?

PS On a kinda similar tack attended my first outdoor net of the season tonight at a new club, Skipton CC.

I retired to the bar for a bevvy and noticed a very nice engraved wooden plaque in the clubhouse to men from the club who were killed in the war. Inevitably I thought that I bet more than half the men who were killed will be found in 'Craven Roll of Honour'- with photographs- so another project beckons.

David

David, I seem to recall that Wisden produced an anthology of cricketers' obituaries a while ago; more than that I cannot recall - sorry.

Actually, wouldn't a study of your local sports' clubs' Rolls of Honour be a great project? Combining all sorts of pleasures (especially if some of the research has to be done in the bar)!

David - good news. I've just had a response from the cricket club; they have (apparently) lots on the chap, and will copy it and post it to me, so watch this space!

Excellent news Steven, thanks for getting in touch for me,

Regards

David

Just found this another thread:

The books are called 'Innings Complete' by Philip Paine and there are now 8 volumes available.

Quite often see Philip selling them on ebay for a very reasonable amount.

Will have to PM him,

David

• 1 year later...

FAO David Blanchard

Ref Major Forster. He'd was bit of a hero for me when researching 8th Division and now it turns out he was a first class cricketer as well!!

Anybody got any ideas how, if having been killed on the Aisne, he is buried at Terlincthun Cemetary, which is, if I remember, near Boulogne?

David

There is a photograph of Harold Forster in a book I produced for the Regimental Museum last Year called 'Royal Berkshire Regiment 1743-1914 (A pictorial history). He appears on page 68. In addition if you go into the Regimental Museum Website 'The Wardrobe' then click into the 'Collection' on the left hand side you will turn up 2 Images of your man. One which is re-produced in the book (Caption slightly wrong - but the photos good) and another showing him in the Battalion hockey team Pre War. In addition to Cricket he was a battalion sportsman of note....and a very good shot.

Hope that helps

Cheers

MAC

I can never find my way through the Wardrobe search. Can you give me a little more help?

Steve.

Steve

Once you are in the front page, go to 'Collection' on the left of the page. That will bring up a number of search options, in this case a persons name (Remembering to start with a capital) then you will (Or should) get soldiers with the name. Work through the names and hopefully what you are looking for should appear. I agree with you it is a bit of a devil to get around, but I'm afraid it was 'The best we could afford' It will be upgraded in the future. At this moment in time we are in effect proof reading the captions because when the information was imputed some time ago the volunteers were working to what information they had at the time, and of course we are picking up more info all the time. If you stay with the search options they do improve. Hope that helps and good hunting.

Cheers

MAC

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd add a bit more to Harold Forsters Army Career:

Major Harold Thomas Forster, D.S.O. and Bar, M.C. and Bar

Acting C.O. of 2nd Battalion, The Northamptonshire Regiment, from 24th April to 3rd May 1918 and from 27th May to 17th June 1918*

Served in the ranks of the Royal Marine Light Infantry, No. 9280, from 31st August 1897 to 4th October 1899.

- "Recruit Depot, Walmer", 31st August 1897 to 31st December 1897.

- Transferred to Portsmouth, 1st January 1898.

- To "B" Co. Portsmouth Division, 16th June 1918.

- To "Edgar", 10th March 1899.

- To Portsmouth Division HQ, 16th Match 1899.

- Discharged from the Royal Marines having paid £20, 4th October 1899.

Served in the ranks of the Royal Berkshire Regiment, No. 5670, from 14th October 1899 to 24th June 1915.

- Enlisted into the Army at Portsmouth, age 22 years & 10 months, 14th October 1899.

- Posted to 1st Bn. Royal Berkshire Regiment and appointed L/Cpl., 23rd November 1899.

- Arrived at Parkhurst, 6th December 1899.

- Embarked to Gibraltar, 28th January 1900.

- Arrived at Gilbraltar, 2nd February 1900.

- "Home", 28th February 1901.

- Depot, 28th February 1901.

- Posted to Reading, date not specified, probably 28-2-1901.

- Promoted to Corporal, 11th May 1901.

- Posted to 1st Royal Berkshires, 6th August 1901.

- Embarked to Gibraltar, 6th August 1901.

- Arrived at Gilbralar, 11th August 1901.

- Arrived at Woking, 26th October 1902.

- Home, 27th October 1902.

- Lance-Sergeant, 12th December 1903.

- Extended service to 8 years with the colours, 23rd March 1904.

- Promoted to Sergeant, 10th August 1904, antedated to 29th July 1904.

- Arrived at Dublin, 30th September 1904.

- Extended service with the colours to 12 years, 17th April 1906.

- Curragh, 18th February 1908.

- Promoted to Colour Sergeant, 20th July 1908.

- Arrived at Dover, 5th October 1910.

- Extended service to 21 years, 17th August 1911.

- Arrived at Aldershot, 28th September 1913.

- Appointed Colour Sergeant, 1st October 1913.

- Embarked to France with 1st Bn. Royal Berkshire Regiment, 12th August 1914 as a Company Sergeant Major.

- Home, 23rd February 1915.

- Posted to 3rd Bn., Royal Berkshire Regiment, 23rd February 1915.

- Awarded the Military Cross as a Company Sergeant Major with the Royal Berkshire Regiment, Gazetted 27th July 1916 & 19th August 1916

"For gallantry and devotion to duty. A very gallant warrant officer, he has maintained the same standard in the performance of his duties."

Served as an officer of the Royal Berkshire Regiment from 25th June 1915 to 7th April 1918.

- Commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the Royal Berkshire Regiment on 25th June 1915.

- Joined 2nd battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment as a Second Lieutenant on 28th September 1915.

- MID as a Lieutenant (2nd Bn. Royal Berkshire Regiment) (LG 15-6-1916).

- Promoted to Lieutenant, antedated in July 1916 to 28th December 1915.

- MID, LG 19-8-1916 per summary of service (Gazette details not found).

- Appointed as Adjutant whilst a Lieutenant from 22nd October 1916 to 7th April 1918.

- MID as a Lieutenant (LG 21-5-1917).

- MID, LG 25-5-1917 per summary of service (Gazette details not found).

- Awarded the Distinguished Service Order as an acting Captain with the 2nd battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment for gallantry east of Ypres on 31st July to 1st August 1917, Gazetted 26-9-1917 & 9-1-1918

"For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He took over command of his battalion when his colonel had become a casualty, and led them with great skill to their objective, twice changing direction in order to avoid hostile barrage. He then made a personal reconnaissance and ascertained the position of the enemy, after which he formed a defensive flank, and was able to re-establish his line when it had been driven back by determined hostile counterattacks. He remained perfectly cheerful throughout, showing a fine example of fearlessness and contempt for danger."

Awarded Bar to the Military Cross for gallantry east of Ypres between 15th and 17th August 1917 as a Lieutenant with the 2nd battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment, Gazetted 26-9-1917 & 9-1-1918

"For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during an attack. He performed invaluable work as Adjutant throughout the day, rallying and controlling the men and showing great grasp of the situation. He set a fine example of courage and resource to all."

- Left 2nd Berkshires on 4th January 1918 to proceed to England for a senior officers course.

Served as acting Major attached to 2nd Battalion, The Northamptonshire Regiment from 8th April 1918 to 29th May 1918.

- Attached to the 2nd Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment on 8th April 1918.

- Appointed as acting Major on 8th April 1918.

- Second in command of 2nd Battalion, The Northamptonshire Regiment at Villers Bretonneux on 24th-27th April 1918.

- Acting C.O. of 2nd Battalion, The Northamptonshire Regiment, from 24th April to 3rd May 1918, following the death of Captain (acting Lt. Col.) S. G. Latham.

- Awarded Bar to the Distinguished Service Order as a Lieutenant (acting Major) for Gallantry at Villers Bretonneux from 24th to 27th April 1918, Gazetted 16-9-1918

"For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He assumed command of his battalion when his Colonel was killed, and by his coolness and skill extricated it from a critical situation and formed a defensive flank of the utmost importance. For three days and nights, by his pluck and energy, he set an example to his men of inestimable value under adverse conditions of continuous and heavy shell fire."

- In Transport Details when 2nd Battalion, The Northamptonshire Regiment surrounded at Berry-au-Bac on 27th May 1918.

- Acting C.O. of 2nd Battalion, The Northamptonshire Regiment, from 27th May to 17th June 1918*, following the death of Lt. Col. C. G. Buckle.

- Formed a reinforcements party after the capture of the majority of the 2nd Northamptons on 27th May 1918.

- Missing from 2nd Northamptons on 29th May 1918.

- Official accepted as having Died of wounds on 29th May 1918, on 23rd March 1919.

- Body apparently later identified.

- Buried at Terlincthun British Cemetery, Wimille, Grave VII. A. C. 12. (Despite some mystery as to how he could be buried here, his file has nothing on his burial, just eventual presumption of death in 1919).

- MID as a Lieutenant (Acting Major) attached to 2nd Bn. Northamptonshire Regiment (LG 28-12-1918).

Personal

- Born on 6th November 1878 at St Faith, Winchester, Hampshire. (Several references per Officers File, not the 14th apparently, as noted by Wisden)

- Son of Mrs Lydia Forster, 9 Avenue Terrace, Winchester (Lydia E "Foster", age 33, Carpenter's wife, born St James', London, of 20 North View, Winchester, per 1881 Census).

- Brother of Percy, 14 Augustine St., Regents Park, S.W., and of twins Lily & Edith (Edie).

- Husband of Ethel May Forster ("Kiddie", nee Smith, married at Register Office, Dublin, on 17th March 1906), 14 Avenue Villas, Fulflood, Winchester.

- Children: William Earle (known to his father as "Willie", born at Dublin, 10th January 1907) and Harold Victor (known to his father as "Vic", born at Curragh, 16th November 1908)

- Played cricket for Hampshire.

Officers File: WO 339/2100 FORSTER H T, Lieut 1897-1919; 1935

* The London Gazette extended his tenure as acting C.O. beyond his death.

Steve.

Calmly reading his file and then blub.....

post-6536-1210808749.jpg

Steve.