Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Church Lads Brigade

MACRAE

I just traded for some badges today and among them was a cap badge and shoulder titles to the Church Lads Brigade who are they ?. Also a strange looking cloth patch any clues guys please. I also got a nice Liverpool Pals sweetheart brooch .

Dan

post-2583-1143907266.jpg

The CLB were a Church of England youth organisation, much like the Boys' Brigade and the Scouts.

I think the cloth patch is the badge of the 17th (Northen) Division. It stood for (depending on the story) 'A' in morse, as they apparently had an Australian transport coy at some time; or the top of the '1' and the '7' of '17'.

And are the King's Bodyguard similar to the Yeoman of the Guard, or something similar?

Yes, the Royal Company of Archers is the Monarch's ceremonial bodyguard in Scotland

And are the King's Bodyguard similar to the Yeoman of the Guard, or something similar?

;) The CLB Badge is the type worn by members of that Anglican organisation,however they did I believe raise a CLB Battalion of the KRRC?,in WW1 which wore a CLB Patee Cross Badge & also a Cadet Unit,which wore a Maltese Cross Badge{A Google brings up much interesting information on CLB Service in WW1{paricularly in Newfoundland & Canada~Search "Church Lads Brigade"<:For example::>

Like Kate appears to, I had always assumed that the Church Lads were a defunct organisation but I saw a Church Lads brass band performing in York this Christmas.

Dan

The Church Lads Brigade did indeed raise a battalion. The 16th (Service) Battalion King's Royal Rifle Corps (CLB). They were often refered to as the 'Black Button ********' but I am sure as good church lads they would never reply in kind - much. If you search this site for CLB, C.L.B., Church Lads Brigade or Church Lads' Brigade you will find a wealth of information. If your interest then extends to the 16th KRRC the same applies, there is a great deal of knowledge about them on the site and in the heads of many of the Pals.

They still exist as Mark suggests although they are now joined with the girls. They have a website at www.clcgb.org.uk/ For the history go to Administration then History then 'Looking Back'

Cheers

Bob

Cheers Bob i will just put them in me swap box they dont fit in with what my intrest is.

Dan

• 1 month later...
Cheers Bob i will just put them in me swap box they dont fit in with what my intrest is.

Dan

Dan,

The C.L.B. cap badge is the 4th type of cap badge.

The original badge introduced in the 1890s was 1 1/2 inches wide. This was followed c.1917 by blackened brass KRRC Cadets badge. In the 1920's a smaller oval badge was introdued with 'Fight the Good Fight' in the surround. The pattern of badge you have came in around the 1950s and was made in anodised metal c.1960 - 1977.

The C.L.B. joined together with C.G.B in November 1978.

Dan,

The C.L.B. cap badge is the 4th type of cap badge.

The original badge introduced in the 1890s was 1 1/2 inches wide. This was followed c.1917 by blackened brass KRRC Cadets badge. In the 1920's a smaller oval badge was introdued with 'Fight the Good Fight' in the surround. The pattern of badge you have came in around the 1950s and was made in anodised metal c.1960 - 1977.

The C.L.B. joined together with C.G.B in November 1978.

Here are a couple of the badges. A pair of Junior Training Corps, I don't know if they have a military connection or not and then the KRRC pattern mentioned earlier.

Keith

A pic of the C.L.B. band in Rayleigh prior to going to France. My GGF was the band Sgt. pictured left conducting.

Regards, Roland.

p.s. Hi Bob how`s things down under.

R. :)

post-6634-1147761343.jpg

G'Day Roland

Oz is fine at the moment thanks. I'm still seaching for all things 16th KRRC and CLB with limited success. Did manage to get my dad's medals off my brother and am in the process of mounting them with the cap badge and a picture.

Sorry folks, got off topic a bit there :unsure:

Cheers

Bob

Dan,

As Steve correctly stated the long patch is the 17th (Northern) Division's patch. The dot and the line are the top of the '1' and '7'.

Aye

Tom McC

Here are a couple of the badges. A pair of Junior Training Corps, I don't know if they have a military connection or not and then the KRRC pattern mentioned earlier.

Keith

The two brass maltese cross type badges are of the 'Junior Training Corps' of the Church Lads' Brigade. This badge was worn from c.1936 until c.1978. There was an earlier pattern of Brass Badge worn by the CLB Training Corps which was surmounted by a King's Crown and worn up to c.1936.

For details of the Church Lads Brigade Companies, Battalions and Regiments affiliated to the King's Royal Rifle Corps (KRRC) and other units of the Army, see Ray A Westlake 'A Register of Territorial Force Cadet Units 1910-1922. (1983).

Another useful source of information on the 'Brigade Movements' is 'Boys of the Brigade' Vols 1 & 2 by Robin Bolton (1991 & 1993) which has plenty of good quality photographs and line drawings of the badges worn.

Care needs to be taken not to confuse the Junior Training Corps of the C.L.B. with the other 'Junior Training Corps' which I understand was the Junior Division of the Officer's Training Corps (O.T.C.)

• 3 years later...

You are right Tom, it was my grandads Division, the 17th (Northern).

Dan Sorry to hijack your thread. But I have a very nice old silver plated presentation bugle engraved with a CLB badge and marked Aldwych House London. W.C. Bugle Competition. Winner. Corporal J Lovock 1915. By any chance is this lad traceable.

Aye Rob.

Ps It has a lovely tone and has been used at Remembrance Day Parade on several occasions.

Dan Sorry to hijack your thread. But I have a very nice old silver plated presentation bugle engraved with a CLB badge and marked Aldwych House London. W.C. Bugle Competition. Winner. Corporal J Lovock 1915. By any chance is this lad traceable.

Aye Rob.

Ps It has a lovely tone and has been used at Remembrance Day Parade on several occasions.

That's definitely one for conijoni I feel! Let's hope he spots this.

Given the location, bear in mind that it could actually be related to the London Diocesan Church Lads Brigade, which was a separate organisation.

Any chance of a picture Rob?

Cheers,

Mark

Mark. a couple of photographs of the bugle. Sorry the quality is not great.

Aye Rob.

post-56-1246646634.jpg

post-56-1246646707.jpg

And another

post-56-1246647225.jpg

Conijoni has seen this. Has had a look at material but to no avail. Church Lads Brigade HQ was in London. This is a bugle to CLB not LDCLB.

A pic of the C.L.B. band in Rayleigh prior to going to France. My GGF was the band Sgt. pictured left conducting.

Regards, Roland.

p.s. Hi Bob how`s things down under.

R. :)

Great photo thanks for posting. Any ideas what the monument or memorial is behind them ?

Also where is Rayleigh?

Regards Julian

Rayleigh is in Essex, and the memorial is to the Rayleigh Protestant Martyrs, Ardeley, Causton, Drakes and Tyms, who died in 1555 during the reign of Queen Mary. Two were burned at the stake in Rayleigh High Street, where the memorial now stands, and two at Smithfield, London.

Tom

Rayleigh is in Essex, and the memorial is to the Rayleigh Protestant Martyrs, Ardeley, Causton, Drakes and Tyms, who died in 1555 during the reign of Queen Mary. Two were burned at the stake in Rayleigh High Street, where the memorial now stands, and two at Smithfield, London.

Tom

Many Thanks Tom and may I say long time about 10 years I think!

Cheers Julian