Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stuff redoubt or feste staufen

Guest grantaloch

Guest grantaloch

As you drive along the Theipval Grandcourt road.and turn right along the Stump road. Drive as far along as far as you can,where in that vicinity was the Stuff redoubt.This area as always facinated me,this was where the Ulster division reached on July the 1st, and where that terrible battle took place September. They got into the southern face of the redoubt but still had,nt got into the northern face two days later,how big was the redoubt what would it have looked like.Any photos or maps please, any info gratefully received.(Grantaloch.) Bob.

This may help. There is a view FROM the Feste Staufen in The Panormas of WW1 Battlefields book .. taken later in 1916 and looking towards Grandcourt direction.

Hope someone can help with decent pics .. I'd like to see some too.

Des

post-1582-1141072425.jpg

If you are referring to the Ulster Div attack ... they did make a small penetration but were forced to retreat after a relatively short time doe to determined German counter attacks.

It was long stated that the Ulstermen's momentum was halted in front of Stuff Redoubt when they ran into their own barrage. It was pointed out to me by RJ Whitehead some time ago that the Ulstermen were, in fact, stopped by heavy fire from a German artillery unit.

Des

Guest grantaloch

Hello des. I thought some how you might reply Ulster DIV and all that I am glad you did,I was looking at your website last night which I do quite frequently.Exellent web site imight add and don,t want to sound mercenery but would like to make a donation to it can you tell me how to go about it. Dont make it to complicated, Iam a beginner at this computer game.(Grantaloch).Bob.

Bob

1. I'm flattered. 2. No donations necessary.

If I can help, I'm happy.

Des

Guest grantaloch

Des. thanks for your reply,I thought Iwould offer as I dont believe in all take and no give,and I will keep checking on your site because I think it is very interesting,along with alot of other people I expect.(Grantaloch.) Bob.