Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Northamptonshires

andy1400

Made a bit of a mistake with my last go at this one. Could anyone tell me where and what the 1st Northamptonshires were doing on the 9th and 10th of November 1914 and the 9th of May 1915.

Am trying to find out about some casualties.

Thanks once again

Andy

1915 or 1917?

If the latter, get hold of a copy of 'No Easy Hopes or Lies', the letters of Lt Arthur Preston White.

Northamptonshire Libraries have several copies, or if you ask nicely Andy, I will lend you our copy.

Could I borrow your copy please Kate?

Andy

Andy,

Regarding the 9th May 1915, this was the Battle of Aubers Ridge.

The Long, Long Trail has a good report on the battle:

http://www.1914-1918.net/BATTLES/bat11_aubers/bat.htm

Below are a couple of letters printed in the local papers which give an insight into the battle from the Northamptonshire's perspective.

Peterborough Advertiser 29 May 1915

Two Peterborough Brothers Killed

Private F Wright, 1st Northamptonshire Regiment, writing to Miss Thompson of Brook Street, Peterborough, tells a tragic story of the awful Battle of the Ridge on May 9th, he says, “I am rather upset and shaky after Sundays battle, how I managed to get out heaven only know. It was like Hell. Tom was with me and he came through also, but I am sorry to say that brother, Fred and my brother Will, are both killed. I was too upset yesterday to write or think about it, and I hardly dare tell you now, but I think it my duty as I told you I would. I am afraid you will feel it very much indeed and especially Mam and Dad. I know it is true as I enquired of a Sergeant who comes from Peterborough named Yerrell. He said he was going to write and tell you. Fred, I think he said, got hit three times, I was not against him, I wish I had been, but he wished us all goodbye before he died. The last shot hit him in the heart, brother Wills (shot) was in the heart. The bombardment started at about 4.30am and last the best part of the day. We were the first to advance toward the German lines, and following on our flanks were the Sussex and North Lancashires., but the enemy were so strong they mowed our people down as fast as we went toward them. The wounded, of course, if they moved to get back were fired at many times, which was the cause of a good many deaths. Other poor fellows had to lie there until it was dark. Of course some got back, but I am sorry to say not many. I think we had ten officers killed, besides wounded, and 600 other ranks killed and wounded, so you see, there were not many of us left out of a 1,000 , But I must say that every man fought plucky to the last, which is a big honour. Stanley Eustace is missing since Sunday, what became of him none of us knew. I never saw anything like it in all my life, and hope I never shall again. Two got killed following me, and two in front. How Tom and I missed it I will never know.Poor fellows were cut down and blown to pieces were crying for help. I shall never forget it, the longest day I live.

Quite a letter to send to a young woman!

---

Peterborough Advertiser 19th June 1915

Sergeant Yerrells Story of the 9th

Sergeant S Yerrell of the 1st Northamptonshire Regiment, whose mother lives at 78 Belsize Avenue, writes, “I hope you will be able to find space to insert this letter from two or three men of Peterborough who have been out here fighting since 12th August (1914) with the 1st Northants thus having been had about ten months good fighting. The names of us are, Corporal Bradley, Lance Corporal B. Cape {believed to be Cope, not Cape}, Private J Davey and the writer, Sgt S Yerrell. I will do my best to give you an idea of what it was like on the 9th of May, when our regiment suffered great losses. We were marched off on the night of the 8th to take up our position in the trenches, and the men went with good heart and only too eager to grapple with the enemy. All instructions were given to the men before hand as to what they had to do. The morning of the 9th broke upon us with the sun shining on the battlefield, the birds giving us a cheerful song as he partook of a little food just before the great attack. At 5am we heard the tumbling sound overhead, as if a lot of machines were working, it was the opening up of the bombardment by our artillery, by looking over the trench and seeing houses brought down to the ground in a cloud of red and black smoke, we knew that it was the firing of our big gun known to us as “Mother”. It fired three or four times when all of a sudden about a thousand guns of different calibre opened fire with terrible rapidity, and it was as if the air was alive with shells which played “Old Harry” with the enemy’s trenches. We crouched down behind our own trenches waiting for the word “Advance” whilst shells went on before us with a message of death, playing havoc with everything in front. At last the watches of the officers pointed to 5.31am with the artillery still coughing, and the Germans answering with “Jack Johnsons” which the plugged into our trenches with showers of shrapnel over our heads. When the order came down the lines, “Over the top and advance” all the soldier, some of whom had been fighting for months, some of whom were about to have their baptism of fire, joined in the biggest attack ever known. It was grand to see how everyone behaved, for it was as if the whole army jumped up like one man to go out for their revenge on an enemy who had debased himself by murdering innocent women and children. We went out to meet the dreadful fire of machine guns and rifles amid a constant rain of bursting shells which decimated our men, but still they went on, but with one object in front of them, to drive the enemy from the position and gain victory for England.

The front line consisted of “B” and “D” Companies of the 1st Northamptonshire Regiment, and two companies of the Royal Sussex, who have proved themselves to be a good lot of fighters. With men falling all round, the two companies of our regiment went on until within 300 yards of the barbed wire, with the remainder of the regiment coming upon on our left and at the rear. At this point we found that we could not get any further, and one officer gave the command for his men to get in line with him and lie down, unlucky it was for him, for a shot killed him there and then. It was awful, for the enemy, knowing how they were fixed, fired on us with machine guns. Killing our wounded as they tried to crawl back to cover, and the other men who were at their mercy. It was the worst thing I have ever been through, when I could see what had happened I made for cover myself, whilst the artillery on both sides kept up a terrible fire. It was awful to see our wounded start to creep back, only to be hit once again, very often fatally, I was sick at heart, for as I looked round I could only see men who had answered their country’s call, and had bravely laid dowm their lives for England’s sake.

It was about 4 o’clock when the bombardment started afresh, and looking around I could see the famous regiment, the Black Watch, steadily advancing over the same ground that we had covered in the morning, they did indeed gain the enemy’s first trench, but soon afterwards were forced to leave it again. Towards night the firing slackened a little, and I waited patiently for darkness so that I could creep back out of the firing zone. At 10 o’clock I chanced it, running as fast as my legs could carry me until I reached my own trench. With one bound I was on the other side, not caring who was there but only wanting to gain my regiment, or what was left of it. I tell you, I said my prayers when I got there, and it was not the first time that day, nor was I the only man. You may guess what we thought when we looked around and saw what was left of the 48th.

Now these four me who I am writing for are doing their duty, and I want to ask if anyone will send us out such a thing as a mouthorgan or melodian. A good smoke or in fact anything to remind us of the good old city. We had one melodian which was sent by Mr Claypole in February but it was unlucky, for it got mixed up with a German “Jack Johnson” sometime in April, thus having a short life, if a merry one in the trenches. If anyone is so kindly inclined as to forward such a gift it would be very thankfully received by Sgt S Yerrell. “D” Company, 1st Northamptonshire Regiment, 2nd Infantry Brigade, 1st Division, BEF.

Since the above letter was received Mrs Yerrell has received notice from the War Office that Sgt Yerrell is in hospital at Wimereux suffering from Enteric Fever.

Extraordinary stuff.

Sam Yerrell got his melodian but was later killed in action on 19th July 1916.

Hope this helps,

Steve.

• 18 years later...

War Diary transcription for 9th May - writing difficult to read so a couple of guesses in there

Rue du Bois - May 9th: Everyone was up and ready at Daybreak completing last details and any events. We had a large amount of stores to carry such as scaling ladders rifles wire cutters bombs flags etc. The morning was fine and very clear and the gunnery observation officer attached for the day to the battalion thought it 8 perfect morning for his artillery.

At 5:00 AM a sharp bombardment of the enemy lines and 45 posts commenced from our guns behind, 18 pounders, 15 inch and 9.2 inch Howitzers. The noise was terrific. This bombardment continued until 5:30 AM during which the guns were playing on the various enemy batteries and fortified houses in rear of the line.

From 5:30 until 5:40 heavy fire was turned on the enemy trenches which were the sandbank breastwork. The 18 pounder field guns playing on the barbed wire cut gaps for our infantry assault. During this 10 minutes the men of our two leading companies B under Capt Dickson and D under Capt Farrar got over the parapet preceded by the bombers, men carrying ladders etc. These companies advanced as close as possible to about 100x and there lay down until the bombardment ceased. Again at the same time two companies in the support trenches A & C under Captain ? and Capt Robinson & Bn HQ moved from the supporting trenches to the fire trenches and then it's over the parapet to support B and D.

At 5:40am precisely the bombardment ceased and the battalion with the royal Sussex rushed to the assault. Our first companies got close up to the German barbed wire and captain Dickson and about 20 men reached a gap made by our guns in the trenches. They were then all shot down, Capt Dickson he was killed at once and also Capt Farrar.

The enemy had opened a heavy rifle and machine gun fire from their trenches before our men could get near them and we were mown down. It was impossible to take the position and the assault had failed. Our artillery appeared to have done little damage to the enemy as regards either the parapet wire or men themselves for even through the bombardment on their trenches, rifle shots and machine gun fire was directed on our men they came over our parapet.

By this time the enemy had opened fire with his guns and heavily shelled our parapets, reserve trenches & Rue du Bois. The battalion was now lying in front between the two trenches unable to advance or retire or even leave to where a post was being fired on [very difficult to read]. Throughout the day the main layout absolutely exposed to the rifle machine gun and shellfire from the German lines. A few who were near our parapet managed to retire on the order being given. They were collected behind our lines and support trenches and there remained for the remainder of the day.

At 3pm another bombardment and assault was ordered, the 1st Bde undertaking it this time with no better results though a few men of the Black Watch got into the German trenches but were forced to retire.

When darkness came the survivors crawled back to our trenches having laid out in the open for 14½ hours. The wounded, those that could be got to, were brought back, the medical officer Lt Bourdillon doing very valuable work in this way. The Commanding Officer and Adjutant brought out the remainder of the Battalion (150 odd) to Le Touret where orders were received to billet for the night – the 2nd Division having taken over our trenches & operations from 7pm.

Our losses were very heavy eight officers being killed and nine and wounded and 541 men killed, wounded or missing. Of the 17 Company Officers that went out only two returned intact?.