Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aisne- Chemin des Dames Battle May- June 1918

David_Blanchard

Guy,

Sketch sent by email. Its a while since I posted photographs on the Forum, perhaps you could upload it quicker than me.

Regards

David

Guy,

Sketch sent by email. Its a while since I posted photographs on the Forum, perhaps you could upload it quicker than me.

Regards

David

Many thanks David

I post it below. This is a sketch, I am certain, of the Summer House mentioned in the piece in my previous post.

I not your comment that it came from the IWM archive holding on Speight.

Brilliant picture....thank you.

Anyone have a picture of the old Chateau? In whose grounds this Summer House was situated. My above posts are of the post WW1 replacement.

I think the Summer house is also gone, but must look next time I am there.

Guy

post-12226-1190925393.jpg

David

Many thanks for your pointers - couldn't locate the maps at the NA but may be worth a second look,

Yes they did form a 'composite' Battalion following the heavy losses on the 27th... so the 25th Div History may be the answer ! - I failed to locate the war diary entry for the 1st June 1918 onwards at the NA.

Regards

Busman

You may well be aware by now about the lack of WD for the 25th. Div June/Oct. They were so depleted they were returned to the UK & reorganised , many of the original battalions transferred to other units, The reconstituted division was composed of entirely new units.

Colin

• 3 months later...

Found this post very interesting as researching my wife's Great Uncle Thomas Critchinson who was killed 28/05/1918 in this battle serving with 22nd Bn Durham Light Infantry ( Pioneers) and lots of useful info found here. Amazing to find that they were cut off and surrounded together with the Sherwood Forresters. Like so many he is commemerated on Soissons Memorial

Wayne

Hi every one this is my first post !Can anyone tell me where the 25 th division 74th brigade were on 28/05/1918 ? I am planning to visit the battlefields around soissions at easter this year and there whereabouts would be of particular intrest to me as my great uncle was killed on this date along with so many others. He was part of the 3rd battalion worcestershire regiment. Any information would be great thanks

Hello,

Just moving this topic back to the top again and to renew my email notification of replies.

Sorry I have been out of action on this forum for too long. Work committments etc.

Will try to get on more often.

If anyone needs any help with Aisne battle, get in touch. I will try to help, work etc permitting

Regards

David

Welcome back David,

Thanks for bringing this topic up. As you can see from my previous post i have an interest in this battle/area. Never knew that 22nd DLI were cut off and suffered so mant losses on that day. Thomas was recorded as killed 28th May 1918 so am i right in presuming he may actually have been killed on 27th in the main battle?

Wayne

Hello,

Well the battle ebbed and flowed for a number of days ( incidently, there is a reprint now available of Sidney Rogerson's 1937 classic, 'The Last of the Ebb' about the Battle of the Aisne) so it is possible that your man was killed on the 28th MaY.

Regards,

David

Though they are not mentioned in the OOB earlier in this thread, my German great-grandfather was with the Westernmost corps of the attacking 7th Army - VII Corps (AKA Gruppe Francois).

As divisional artillery to the Saxon 241.Div, Kgl. Sächs. 4. Feld-Artillerie-Regiment Nr.48 were in firing positions at Coucy at the opening of the offensive. On the 29th they crossed the Oise-Aisne canal and advanced as far as Nouvron / Chevillecourt (NW of Soissons) by the end of the month, where their advance stalled.

Anyone have anything to contribute on this part of the campaign?

Just won a couple of photographs on Ebay of German Troops with British prisoners at Juvincourt on 27th May. I think these are men from the British 8th Division. Also a German trench mortar unit in action on the 27th May 1918.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...N:IT&ih=010

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...N:IT&ih=010

• 2 weeks later...

David,

I wont swear but having checked the battle insignia for 8 Div your POWs could be ! Worc or 2 E Lancs. One of the POWs seems to have a round patch on his upper sleeve and with the white half it could be either?

Maybe wrong but its a good guess.

Interesting that he is carring the german helmet.

TT

1st Worc not ! Worc!!! Doh

Re 'Trotter's thoughts that the visible shoulder patch on one of the British soldiers in the German photo was possibly from 24 Brigade of 8th Division. If the photo is from the Aisne in May 1918 then he is probably from 1st Worcesters as 2nd East Lancashires had been transferred in the reorganisation of February 1918 to 25 Brigade and its battle patch was now a square shape.

Thanks to David Blanchard for the photos.

I must admit an interest as I am completing my doctoral thesis on 8th Division. The Aisne was truly too awful for it to be part of any 'learning curve'!

Thanks Alun,

I think it has been narrowed down the 1st Worcestershire Regiment. I finished my Aisne thesis in 2005, let me know when you finish yours on the 8th Division.

David

The position of the 8th Durhams on the 27th May 1918, from the 'History of the 8th Durham Light Infantry 1793-1926' by Major E Haringe Veitch.

8thDLICraonne27thMay1918-Pt2.jpg

8thDLICraonne27thMay1918-Pt1.jpg

Lieutenant Colonel Christopher Galbraith Buckle, D.S.O., M.C

Killed on 27th May 1918. Lieutenant Colonel of the 2nd Northamptonshire Regiment.

(For more information about Buckle see recent thread

image.png

• 6 months later...

Just read all through this thread - a real mine of information. I don't know if anyone can help me with my query. I'm trying to discover which hospital any wounded men who managed to get out of this battle alive would have been taken to. 'When the Lantern of Hope Burned Low' mentions a hospital at Meurival, but I can't find any record of either a CCS or a hospital there. There was a CCS at Mont Notre Dame at the time of the battle, but any thoughts on where they might have been taken for further treatment after that? All the Stationary and General hospitals seem to have been a long way away.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bringing this up to the top...I have been away a while doing other stuff on the Boer War, Crimea but would be happy to answer any questions about this battle,

David

• 2 months later...

Just adding a cross reference to a thread about Lieut. Col J A R Thompson officer commanding the 5th Yorkshire Regiment, killed on the 27th May 1918 at Craonne on the Aisne.

• 1 month later...

I have been researching my family history for a couple of years now and the 2nd LIEUT CHARLES AUGUSTUS BUTTON mentioned in your report is my great uncle who was killed in action on the 27th May 1918 He was in the 5th Battery 45TH Brigade RFA . I have a couple of good photos of him but not sure how to post here being a new member.He is remembered on the memorial in his home town of Neyland Pembrokeshire Wales and also on the Soisson Memorial France . He joined up with four other brothers from the same town but sadly he never returned .

I have been researching my family history for a couple of years now and the 2nd LIEUT CHARLES AUGUSTUS BUTTON mentioned in your report is my great uncle who was killed in action on the 27th May 1918 He was in the 5th Battery 45TH Brigade RFA . I have a couple of good photos of him but not sure how to post here being a new member.He is remembered on the memorial in his home town of Neyland Pembrokeshire Wales and also on the Soisson Memorial France . He joined up with four other brothers from the same town but sadly he never returned .

James

I don't know if you have been in contact with 19/5 BTY who are currently serving at Tidworth, they may have more info on your g uncle as they did some extensive research last year which included a visit to the area prior to giving a lecture to the RA Historical Society(which I sadly missed)

I am researching 1st Bty also of 45 Bde

Regards

Paul

James

I don't know if you have been in contact with 19/5 BTY who are currently serving at Tidworth, they may have more info on your g uncle as they did some extensive research last year which included a visit to the area prior to giving a lecture to the RA Historical Society(which I sadly missed)

I am researching 1st Bty also of 45 Bde

Regards

Paul

Paul

many thanks for you info i will give them a call i did see a report from the RA which was on the net when i put in a search for the 5th Battery and my g uncle was mentioned

regards

Jimmy

Does anyone have any info on the 50th (Northumbrian) Signal Company's activities on May 27th? I'm researching a member of the Company who was taken prisoner that day.

Thanks!