Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of Ginchy

Guest cm.boyd

I am trying to find out about the Battle of Ginchy September 1916, particularly the role of the 9th Dublin Fusiliers on the 9th of September when my great uncle 2nd Lt W H Boyd died.

Any information would be very welcome.

Thanks

Colin

'The Somme: The day-by-day account' notes that the 9th Royal Dublin Fusiliers attacked as part of 16th Division. Here is the full entry:

'The Division had trouble on the left. The right of the 1/12th London (Rangers) advanced on the Quadrilateral, lost direction and came up behind the centre of the [1/4th London Royal] Fusiliers. During the night the London Scottish were called to link up between the Quadrilateral and Ginchy.

On the right, 6th Royal Irish Regiment and 8th Royal Munster Fusiliers (47 Brigade) with a detachment of 6th Connaught Rangers in support, were held up by machine gun fire at 4.47 pm. 48 Brigade wheeled right, routed some Germans and pressed on.

Beyond the Guillemont road 7th Royal Irish Rifles and 7th Royal Irish Fusiliers (attached from 49 Brigade) reached the road called Hans Crescent at 5 pm. At 5.25 pm 8th Royal Dublin Fusiliers passed through the village, the Royal Irish Fusiliers (49 Brigade) coming in on the right. Meanwhile the 9th Royal Dublin Fusiliers with men of 7th Royal Irish Rifles and 7th Royal Irish Fusiliers cleared the western part of Ginchy. The Germans made several attempts to recapture the village, all of which were unsuccessful.'

Robert

The British Official History noted:

'The 9/R Dublin Fusiliers, with men of the 7/R Irish Rifles who had made no pause on the first objective, and some of the 7/R Irish Fusiliers, were clearing the western part of Ginchy. A number of Germans surrendered, others fled towards Flers and Lesboeufs, and the eager Irishmen, following in pursuit, had to be brought back before consolidation could begin on a line through the orchards on the northern side of the ruins. A section of the 156th Field Company RE proceeded to construct a strongpoint at the corps boundary on the Delville Wood road, a similar work being put in hand on the Lesboeufs road to strengthen the other flank.'

A footnote records that Captain W J Murphy, commanding the 9/R Dublin Fusiliers, was killed.

Robert

Hi Colin

I have been researching the history of the 7th Royal Irish Rifles for some time. As you can see from the previous posts, the 9th Dublin Fusiliers were part of the 48th Infantry Brigade alongside the 7th RIR, and so the Battle of Ginchy on the 9th September is of great interest to me also.

Now, the bad news. In terms of the battle on the 9th, I have limited detailed information I'm afraid. There seems to be a lack of detailed accounts of it. However, what I do have I am more than happy to share. I have the War Diary of the 7th RIR, and some limited extracts of the 9th Dub's diary for this period. I also have quite a lot of general information on the attack, as well as lots of background stuff. Also, if its of interest, I have lots of information on months leading up to this day: from their time in Ireland, England and in the Loos area.

Let me know if you have any specific information requirements on that day at Ginchy, or want some general information

Hope this is of use.

Regards

Ian

Colin

My great Uncle was killed at Ginchy on 9th September 1916 (see footnote below).

I have a copy of the diary for that action, and I'll see if I can dig it out.

Edited by Stephen Nulty

Here it is, accompanied by a map. You'll also see the reference to Capt. Murphy, as mentioned earlier by Robert.

“9th September 1916

The battalion was in the support trench which it had dug. On the morning of 9th September the disposition of the units of the 48th Brigade for the assault on GINCHY which had been ordered were as follows.

In front trench with orders to take the first objective and consolidate it. 7th R. Irish Rifles, 1 section T.M. Battery, 1st R. Munster Fusiliers, 1 section T.M. Battery. In support trench with orders to take the second objective and consolidate. 9th R. Dublin Fusiliers, 1 section M.G Coy. 1 section 156 Coy, R.E., 8th R. Dublin Fusiliers, 1 section M.G. Coy, 1 section 156 Coy R.E..

At zero (4.45pm) the line advanced under the artillery barrage on the first objective, each battalion assaulting with 4 companies in the front line, on a frontage of one platoon, platoons at 40 yards distance.

First Phase. Right Battalion (1st R.M.F.). At the onset very heavy Officer casualties were suffered. The right company experienced considerable opposition owing to the inability of the 8th R.M.F. to advance. This company was therefore wheeled to the right and dug in. Owing to the shortage of officers the other companies lost direction and went on beyond their objective. Left Battalion (7th R.R.R.) closely followed by 7th R. Irish Fusiliers reached the first objective with slight resistance & with very few casualties.

Second Phase. Right Battalion (8th R.D.F.) advanced to the second objective at 5.25 p.m. and gained it without encountering very serious opposition. Left Battalion (9th R.D.F) advanced to the second objective at 5.25pm but suffered very heavy officer casualties in doing so. Captain W. J. MURPHY (commanding) being killed as the battalion reached GINCHY. The battalion owing to the loss of officers carried on beyond the second objective and had to be brought back and owing to the fact that 55 Division had not come up. The left flank had consequently to be brought back slightly. The line gained was then consolidated.

The battalion lost 52 officers and men in the attack on Ginchy. The second objective, in which James Nulty died, was a German support trench.

post-1356-1135072560.jpg

Did Tom Kettle the Irish poet serve in the 9th Dubs? I know he died on 9th Sept at Ginchy. Perhaps a good biography of him may have details on the 9th Bn's actions on that day.

Adam

Edited by brownag

Adam

He most certainly did. I found one book on his life (the title escapes me for the moment), but it didn't go into any details of the actions that day, simply saying words to the effect that he died at Ginchy.

I'll see if I can find the title.