Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Glosters

GJB

This is a family member that served with the 1/5th glosters wearing his dress uniform with his MM.

What is on the bottom of his left sleeve?

Its not very clear and I thought the service chevrons were on the right arm. He left for France early 1915 and got his MM Sept 1916 so the photo was taken late 1916 or early 1917 (killed Oct. 1917).

Gary

post-8004-1134237857.jpg

Gary,

It's a wound stripe and although not very clear, is possibly the embroided type, rather than the more common brass one. What did catch my eye though was his cloth shoulder titles which I believe should have disappeared with the introduction of metal titles being worn with service dress uniform. In this case it looks like it's the old "Gloucetsreshire" over "T" over "5", which would normally have been embroided in white on a red cloth backing, but this looks to be of a different colour pattern.

A very nice photo.

Graham.

Edited by Graham Stewart

Graham,

Thanks for your info, I'll now have to try and find where he was wounded. I now know that its dated 1917 but obviously the early part of 17 as he was involved in the 3rd Ypres and died of wounds 4th Oct 17 in the battle of broodseinde ( I have a nice photo of his grave stone given by another forum member). I have been given Nov. 1917 as his promotion to sergeant a month after his death was this normal?

Bye the way am I right about chevrons on the lower right sleeve representing each years service.

Gary

I've just realised that his promotion was recorded in the 5th glosters Gazette in November not that he was given it in november, although it couldn't have been long before his death.

Gary

Gary,

The fact that he's wearing the M.M. and not just the ribbon on his tunic, would suggest that this photo was probably taken in the UK, therefore he may be recovering or have recovered from his wounds when it was presented. The photo has photographers mark, which will gave you a clue as to where it was taken.

Graham.

PS - Yes overseas service chevrons were worn on the lower right sleeve, but he wouldn't have qualified for them as he was dead by then and they weren't introduced until 1918. But he is a Corporal, which you probably already knew.

Graham.

Your right, the photograph was taken at home by a local photographer G Collett of bourton on the Water. Now knowing that he was probably recovering from wounds, the photo has Frankie boy 1917 on the back and he got his MM gazetted Sept. 1916, promoted to Corporal 19/7/16, I think I now have a good clue to start looking for he action that got him his MM.

Cheers

Gary

Gary,

Pulled the following from my Glos Regt notes:

Frank Palmer enlisted in Gloucester on 11 September 1914 as Pte No 3039 (later renumbered to 240931) in 'C' Coy 1/5 Glos Regt. He was drafted to France on 29/3/15 with his Bn and rose to the rank of Sgt. There is a photo of him in the Cheltenham Chronicle and Graphic of 15/12/1917.

MM awarded to Cpl F Palmer by Corps Commander 26/8/16 (Btn Diary) - hard to pin down when he won the award.

MM gazetted 21/9/16 3rd supp to LG 29758 p 9202.

Hope some of this is new.

Regards

Promenade

Thanks Promenade,

Thier is obviously a diary for 'C' Coy (which I can't find, I have 'A') if you have a copy which you could email to me (huge task) or know where I can get a copy it would be great. Its good to have a date for the MM, I've been trying to work out from the Gazette date and was way off the mark loking at June/July.

Do you know where or how I can get a copy of the entry in the Chronicle and Graphic?

Gary