Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th & 12th Battalion Sherwood Foresters 1916

deejay

Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum!

I have found 2 related ancestors that were killed in WW1 in 1916, and am looking for more information about where they were possibly killed, and some information on their battalions at this time.

1) Private JOHN HALLAM, 73196 of 12th Bn., Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regt.)

who died on Wednesday 13 September 1916, Age 39. Son of John and Bethaia Hallam, of Ilkeston; husband of Annie Hallam, of 10, Archer Street, Cotmanhay, Ilkeston. Buried at CALAIS SOUTHERN CEMETERY Pas de Calais, France

Grave or Reference Panel Number: Plot E. Row 5. Grave 11. (I have visited the grave).

I believe he was possibly involved in the The Battle of Guillemont - 3rd to 6th September 1916 (or Ginchy 1916 Sep. 9 or Flers-Courcelette battle- 15 to 22 Sept 1916). He was possibly badly wounded and took back to a military hospital near Calais, where he later died.

2) Private HALLAM, HERBERT PALMER, 18457, 10th Btn.Sherwood Foresters , k. in a. 07/07/1916, aged 23

b. Pilsley; e. Chesterfield; r. Pilsley

"Son of John Henry and Lilian Hallam, of 4, Back Lane, Pilsley, Chesterfield, Derbyshire." THIEPVAL MEMORIAL, Somme, France - Pier and Face 10 C 10 D and 11 A.

Details from the Village Memorial Plaque, St Mary's Church, Pilsley

'Private H. P. Hallam, Sherwood Foresters, elder son of Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Hallam, of Pilsley, has been missing since July 7th. A North Wingfield soldier had sent word home that Private Hallam was wounded, but no confirmation of the statement was forth coming. Prior to enlisting he worked for the Hasland Co-operative Society, and was well known both at Hasland and Grassmoor He has been wounded twice, and returned to France on Whit-Thursday. He is twenty three years of age, and unmarried.' I believe the battalion was involved in the attack on Fricourt in early July 1916?

If anyone can give me some more information and details it would be appeciated.

Thanks, :)

Dave

Dave,

Re 10th battalion on July 7th,

To original front line near Fricourt and from there via Lonely Copse to Quadrangle Trench.

Attack on Quadrangle support, relieved during the evening, casualties

= 252.

From British Battalions on the Somme.

Bob.

post-150-1132433478.jpgpost-150-1132433502.jpgDave,

Welcome to the forum!

Your first chap I'm afraid I can't help you on, however Herbert Palmer Hallam was from Pilsley. Pilsley is next door to Tibshelf, a village that I have been studying closely for a number of years, and a number of Pilsley men have featured in my research. Sadly Herbert is not one of them, but I can add confirmation to Bob's helpful reply.

In Cliff Housley's 'A History of the 10th Battalion Sherwood Foresters 1914-1918' (Miliquest), he is recorded thus: Killed in Action 7/7/16, in the attack on Quadrangle Support, near Contalmaison, Somme, France.

Unfortunately I don't have the War Diary for the 10th on that date, but can add the following extracts from '10th(S) Battalion The Sherwood Foresters', by Lt. W.N. Hoyte:

Which, upon previewing, have appeared at the top!

Edited by Andrew Hesketh

I .... am looking for .... some information on their battalions at this time.

Ensure that you use the mother site of this forum which will prove very helpful and, if I may be so bold, you may find my site of interest as well - just click on the Derbyshire Lads link in my signature.

Andrew and Bob,

Many thanks for your responses and information.

The 2 soldiers were in fact cousins and unfortunately, I did not find out about Herbert until earlier this year. Shame really as I visited the Theipval memorial last summer (staying at Albert) and later visited the grave of John Hallam at Calais. Some experience!

I have visited Pilsley St Mary's Church, and took photos of a few Hallam headstones and the of the actual memorial at the entrance.

Re: John Hallam, I am guessing at the Battle of Guillemont - 3rd to 6th September 1916 (or Ginchy 1916 Sep. 9 or Flers-Courcelette battle- 15 to 22 Sept 1916) more so Guillemont as he was taken back to Calais where he later died in hospital (13/9/1916), so I would guess this was over a few days. What would you think? Could you point me in the right direction to find the information?

I also believe that the 12th battalion were "pioneers". I know to a certain extent what the pioneers were doing, as I was in the Grenadier Guards (1971 - 76), but what really did the Pioneers do in the WW1?

Thanks again,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone help further please:

Re: John Hallam, I am guessing at the Battle of Guillemont - 3rd to 6th September 1916 (or Ginchy 1916 Sep. 9 or Flers-Courcelette battle- 15 to 22 Sept 1916) more so Guillemont as he was taken back to Calais where he later died in hospital (13/9/1916), so I would guess this was over a few days. What would you think? Could you point me in the right direction to find the information?

I also believe that the 12th battalion were "pioneers". I know to a certain extent what the pioneers were doing, but what really did the Pioneers do in the WW1?

Thanks, :D

Dave

but what really did the Pioneers do in the WW1?]

Dug trenches, made roads, carried up ammunition, barbed wire and stores to front line.

GOT KILLED. !

Thanks Cliff for your reply.

Thought as much!

Just need the following help anybody:

Thanks,

Dave

Dave

I have a copy of the 10/Sherwood Foresters War Diary for July - November 1916. There are 5 pages for the 7th July. I can scan okay but images are about 250kb each to be readable. I've tried to compress but image not too good (see below). Happy to send by e-mail. I also have a trench map somewhere for that area.

The book by Michael Renshaw on Mamtez Wood (Battleground Europe series) is good for that place and time.

The 12/Sherwood Foresters were part of 24th Divsion which were in action around Guillemont 3-5 September. Sorry, not much more to add

Mike

post-4619-1133690376.jpg

Hi Dave,

I have noted that there were a large number of Hallam's living in Lincoln during WW1.

My own relative Fred Hallam who was married to my Grandfathers sister, won the DCM with the Yorkshire Regiment. I do have his photo somewhere. Sadly I have not even begun any research on him. There wasnt a very good repore between Fred and my Grandfather as apparently he got a bit of a big head after winning that medal. An interesting fellow for sure, but I know so little simply because of an old familly fall out in the late 1920's!

Steve.

Hi Steve,

There were loads from Lincoln and generally around the East Midlands.

HALLAM the name comes from possibly two sources:

1) South Yorkshire

2) Hallam, East of Ilkeston, Derbyshire

I have a web site (Which needs updating badly :) ) which is partly dedicated to the HALLAM name:

http://www.hallamfamily.co.uk

Regards,

DAve