Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

121 Heavy BATTERY RGA

Guest George35

Guest George35

Hello everyone,

Reference 121 Heavy Battery,RGA does anyone know what type of guns they were equiped with and where they were during 1916 ?

Thanks,

Paul

Paul,

121st(Heavy)Battery,R.G.A. were armed with 6x 60pounder guns. Can't tell you much about them in 1916, but they were raised as a New Army battery in Woolwich in October 1914.

On 3/9/1916 171st(Heavy)Bty,R.G.A. was broken up and its sections distributed amongst 121st(Heavy)Bty and 130th(Heavy)Bty,R.G.A.

By November 1918 it was serving as Army Troops with 29th(Mobile)Brigade,R.G.A., First Army.

29th(Mobile)Bde,R.G.A. consisted of the following units;-

12th(Heavy)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 60pdr guns.

121st(Heavy)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 60pdr guns.

195th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 6inch Howitzers.

303rd(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 6inch Howitzers.

121st Bty,R.G.A. was disbanded in 1919.

Graham.

I have a copy of the diary of Bombardier Alfred Edward Roads entitled "Dads Diary: A Gunners Experience in the War, 1914-1918" who served with 121 Heavy Battery from 15 February 1915 to 5 April 1919. It was online earlier this year but seems to now have disappeared. It gives a day to day description of Bomb. Roads' experiences. Are you interested in particular dates? Dick Flory

• 3 years later...

121 (H) Battery RGA

This topic has not had any postings since 2005 but I hope it will revive from today.

I am making a list of men and officers with information and photographs who served in the 121 (H) Battery RGA (1914-1920) from any sources I can find, Memorials, medal cards, CWGC and others. Although the list and information is quite limited at the moment it is growing and if I can help anyone with what information I have,very please ask.

My main interest is in the period 1915 and a Sgt. Richard Shrive but I am also interested any connections or actions of the Battery from it being raised to being disbanded are of interest. Photographs are limited at the moment but I hope to add to these from newspaper reports.

Thank you

Mike

You may have these mens names, but here is a list of gunners who served at various times with the 121st HB and whose records are available;

12782 later 284308 Allen, Ernest William

23908 Allen, Edward

40409 Wingfield, Samuel Richard

43520 Bant, William

54452 Blyth, John Thomas 121 HB?

59838 Alibone, George

71018 Burraway, Alfred

74660 Beddard, William

76708 Parker, Arthur Frederick

104323 Barrett, Lawton

109492 Hodges, Albert James

190215 Brownlie, Thomas

I would have thought there is a high probability that a group of RFA gunners were attached to this battery before going overseas.

Those that are easily identified on the MICs are, http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...mp;mediaarray=* .

Kevin

Edit.

And some more names

285854 W K Aldborough

12191 A Allen

5788, 225367 John G Douie RFA Gunner

4725 P L Hughes

39398 P V Lewis

183780 Charles Murray Phillips

22956 R Ratcliffe

54995 Frederick Wakelin

148765 Arthur White

Kevin

Thank you for the names, I have a few of them but you have given me first names and numbers, something I did not have. These will be a great help in tracking down more information. I had also forotten that not all transfers in would be from the RGA.

Thanks

Mike

The vast majority of the men would have been RGA men, including those later replacements. At the formation of these relatively early batteries there appears to be a number of RFA artficers attached, who were not officially transferred until the end of 1917 or 1918. Their 1914 or 1914/1915 Star rolls are still probably under the RFA authority.

4725 P L Hughes Gazette entry

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29438/supplements/603

22956 R Ratcliffe Gazette entry

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29438/supplements/609

Kevin

• 1 year later...

Sorry to stir up an old post, but this may be of interest.

I have a pair of binoculars in their case that may have belonged to a member of the 121st Heavy Battery RGA..

The binoculars are by Ross of London, and dated 1915. Scratched into the metal is the name 'R G Colquhoun R.G.A ' . The case is made by J.B. Brooks & Co. Ltd and also dated 1915. Just discernible in very faded ink is 'R.G.Colquhoun 121st (H) Battery R.G.A.'

If this is of interest I could post some photos?

Thanks,

Jon.

Major Robert George Colquhoun, RGA

Born on 23 Sept 80

Served in the ranks for 8 years and 100 days

Served in the South African War from 1899 to 1901 (QSA with 4 clasps: CC, OFS, TRAN, SA01)

Transferred to the Army Reserve on 3 May 07

In the Mobilized Army Reserve for 283 days

Commissioned 2nd Lieut, RGA on 15 May 15

Served in France and Flanders from 13 Feb 15 to Sep 16 and from Jul 17 to 11 Nov 18

Lieut, RGA on 1 Jul 17

Acting Captain, RGA TF from 16 Dec 18 to 19 Feb 19

Acting Major, RGA TF from 20 Feb 19 to 15 Jul 19

Half-Pay, 17 Oct 20

Captain (Army) 3 Feb 21

Retired, Lieut (with rank of Captain), 3 Feb 21

Regards, Dick Flory

Wow Dick,

That's fantastic! The binoculars were given to me when I was 7 or 8, to go in my garden shed 'museum' . I'll have to ask my father if he remembers who donated them.

I was going to post some images, but I've exceeded my quota. I started to delete the old images, but they are all in the classic thread 'Negatives found in a fireplace', and I thought it best to leave the images in that one for now (I'd already deleted a few and it was messing the image heavy thread up).

Thanks,

Jon.

• 1 year later...

Kevin

Thank you for the names, I have a few of them but you have given me first names and numbers, something I did not have. These will be a great help in tracking down more information. I had also forotten that not all transfers in would be from the RGA.

Thanks

Mike

Mike

I have only recently come across this old thread (although I notice it was revived very recently. If you are still researching 121 HB of the RGA I would be very interested in the results of your research to date. My grandfather TW Mathias was a young second lieutentant serving with the unit in France in 1917 and 1918. I have a number of items of memorabilia including what looks like a unit photograph featuring around 150 men.

Kind regards

Richard Mathias

Mike

I have only recently come across this old thread (although I notice it was revived very recently. If you are still researching 121 HB of the RGA I would be very interested in the results of your research to date. My grandfather TW Mathias was a young second lieutentant serving with the unit in France in 1917 and 1918. I have a number of items of memorabilia including what looks like a unit photograph featuring around 150 men.

Kind regards

Richard Mathias

Richard

I did not have a record of T W Mathias in my records so your information is most welcome. There is a record of a metal card at the National Archives, but you may already have it.

Medalcard of Mathias, T W

Corps Regiment No Rank

RoyalGarrison Artillery SecondLieutenant

Date 1914-1920

Cataloguereference WO 372/13

Dept Records created or inherited by the WarOffice, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies

Series WarOffice: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War.

He was not in the battery at the same time as Richard Shrive who left it in December 1915. However many of the men would have continued in the battery or been posted to other batteries like Richard. If you can can post a copy of the photograph I should very much like to include it against T W Mathias's record.

I have Roads diary from the web and Goodman's diary . I think Goodman's is already posted on this Forum but let me know if you cannot find it.If you have any actual dates I will check my records. "Every little helps" or "many a pickle makes a muckle".

Do know T W Mathias's full first names as this will help if there is some more information on the web?

Mike

Mike

My grandfather was Thomas William Mathias. I am pretty sure he was a second lieutenant. I have his war diary which runs from February 1917 to Armistice Day. It overlaps with the Roads diary which I have seen and got a copy of. There is no cross reference to each other but on occasion they describe the same thing from a different perspective.

My diary makes reference to a Major RG Gordon who was in the battery and whose funeral my grandfather attended. I have a photo and a copy of the obituary of Major Gordon. The obituary states he was accidentally killed during the retreat from Cambrai in 1917.

I do not know the Goodman's diary and would be very interested to see it. I will have a root around on the forum.

I have attached the photo to this post and would be happy to send you a transcribed copy of the diary directly by email.

Thanks for your response.

Richard

Richard

I did not have a record of T W Mathias in my records so your information is most welcome. There is a record of a metal card at the National Archives, but you may already have it.

Medalcard of Mathias, T W

Corps Regiment No Rank

RoyalGarrison Artillery SecondLieutenant

Date 1914-1920

Cataloguereference WO 372/13

Dept Records created or inherited by the WarOffice, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies

Series WarOffice: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War.

He was not in the battery at the same time as Richard Shrive who left it in December 1915. However many of the men would have continued in the battery or been posted to other batteries like Richard. If you can can post a copy of the photograph I should very much like to include it against T W Mathias's record.

I have Roads diary from the web and Goodman's diary . I think Goodman's is already posted on this Forum but let me know if you cannot find it.If you have any actual dates I will check my records. "Every little helps" or "many a pickle makes a muckle".

Do know T W Mathias's full first names as this will help if there is some more information on the web?

Mike

Richard

Thank you for the reply. I can let you have a electronic copy of the diary if you wish. Unfortunately the photographs you posted have not revealed themselves on the Forum.

Mike

Mike

My grandfather was Thomas William Mathias. I am pretty sure he was a second lieutenant. I have his war diary which runs from February 1917 to Armistice Day. It overlaps with the Roads diary which I have seen and got a copy of. There is no cross reference to each other but on occasion they describe the same thing from a different perspective.

My diary makes reference to a Major RG Gordon who was in the battery and whose funeral my grandfather attended. I have a photo and a copy of the obituary of Major Gordon. The obituary states he was accidentally killed during the retreat from Cambrai in 1917.

I do not know the Goodman's diary and would be very interested to see it. I will have a root around on the forum.

I have attached the photo to this post and would be happy to send you a transcribed copy of the diary directly by email.

Thanks for your response.

Richard

Mike

I have direct messaged you and in the meantime I have managed to post the regimental photo on the forum here:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=172169

Richard

Richard

Thank you for the reply. I can let you have a electronic copy of the diary if you wish. Unfortunately the photographs you posted have not revealed themselves on the Forum.

Mike

• 9 months later...

hi

i am after info for my father in law about BENJARMIN MASSEY.

i have found a medel card witch may be him

name: massy benjarmin j corps: R.G.A rank: GNr regti no: 97598

roll: RGA/154 b page: 5407

i have a pic of him and some other men holding up a bourd witch reads

the old firm 121 H.B.R.G.A. on the rhine 1919 Q.M.S & staff

the & may be a 9 or a star bit hard to tell

any help would be gratfull

thanks

paul

Hello Paul,

Yes 121 Hvy Bty RGA was there as part of 29th (Mobile) Brigade RGA, based at Bonn throughout 1919. They remained until at least December 1919, but throughout this period men were sent for dispersal and the battery reduced to cadre strength, eventually the much reduced personnel amalgamated with other battery cadres. If you have evidence he continued to serve past this point it might be worth contacting the Ministry in Glasgow to see if they still hold his service records.

I note you have spelt his first name BENJARMIN (twice). The Gnr 97598 above is recorded as Benjamin, with middle name Joseph if it helps to confirm it is the correct Massey.

Rgds

Paul

Sorry my mistake it is benjamin dont no why i put an R in it.

The Benjamin i am after was born about 1890 in manchester his mum and dad was called Mary(1857-?) and Samuel (1847-1908)

I dont now a middle name for him as yet only just started looking

The Gnr 97598 above is recorded as Benjamin, with middle name Joseph if it helps to confirm it is the correct Massey.

Rgds

Paul

thank you ororkep i have just found out his middle names was joseph so it looks like this is my man.

were did you his name from and do you have any more info?

cheers paul

Paul,

Your other post and MIC for a B Massey appears to have disappeared. The ‘B’ is recorded as ‘Ben’, who first served with the 1st Manchester Regt.

I have no more information; the full name came from the roll the MIC references, but no battery is recorded. 97598 would most likely have mobilised in June 1916, but I am not convinced 121 would have been his initial battery but have nothing to support it. I take it you have his birth certificate then that confirms his middle name, as it is not shown on the census returns for the family you cite in #21.

I would suggest you look and check the Manchester Absent Voters Lists as it may confirm a battery and full name; consult Manchester County records/ city library, or you can try posting on another forum about your ancestors ROOTS and have a CHAT. Alternately there is always the Manchester & Salford forum.

Rgds

Paul