Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

army form scans was A R M Y F O R M database.

Muerrisch

Having, from time to time, seen excellent offerings of scans of the various Army Forms ..... attestation, extension of service, demob/ disembodiment etc [many by such stalwarts as Tom Morgan and Graham Stewart]:

I am now suggesting that, instead of these gems being scattered all over the site, they might with advantage all be posted on to one thread. I have Soldiers' Small Book and lots of scans of Officers' Army Forms to contribute.

This idea, if followed up, would save that dreadful 'I know I've seen it, but where?' moment, when one regrets not printing off a copy.

I am sure that Pals have a good cross-section of the plethora of forms. If pressed, I could help by starting a list, using manuals and instructions that say which forms should be carted around by units. [and yes, we all know the Form number for a toilet roll ......]

How about it?

Langley,

Can't see any problem myself, as all of mine are scanned. Don't know about other Forum members though. My own collection covers all of the changes in the Forms and variations 1880's - 1930's. My latest one is to a lad whose been called up to 48th Recruiting Area only to be Discharged instantly as "permanently disabled" in 1917.

Oh! before I forget Langley have you got copies of the Navy & Army Illustrated?? Considering your latest uniform project there's some superb photographs in them that may be of assistance to you.

Graham.

Langley,

Perhaps if we all list what we have then it would save on duplication and then you can ask the relevant member to supply the necessary form. The only other thing is would you require the forms we have reducing in size or are you happy to take them as they are? The reason I ask is because larger documents may be too big for posts, but shrinking them may effect the ability to read them properly.

Graham.

It's a great idea. It would probably be good to start by posting images here, but if the "collection" grows I'd be happy to convert them to web pages.

Langley

Do you want a trawl through for form numbers & titles?

Chris

Sorry missed part of the message out

Do you want a trawl through E Bay for form numbers & titles

All The Best

Chris

No probs Langley give me a shout when you are ready

All The Best

Chris

AF B51 HEALTH MEMORANDA FOR SOLDIERS - 20 page soft back booklet dated 1912

Chris

AF W3455 TRANSFER TO CLASS W (T) TF RESERVE

AF B2067A ORANGE FOLDER PROBABLY FOR B2067

chris

Langley,

Slight hitch here lads, tried to do the download and if you haven't got Office 2003 it won't even let you in. I've only got Office 2000 Professional and most of our other members could be in the same boat.

Graham.

Guest Simon Bull
Langley,

Slight hitch here lads, tried to do the download and if you haven't got Office 2003 it won't even let you in. I've only got Office 2000 Professional and most of our other members could be in the same boat.

Graham.

Graham, though I ought to let you know that I have Office 2000 and downloaded the documents without any problem at all.

Lads,

Sorry, my fault it seems I've inadvertently downloaded some Office 2003 updates instead of Office 2000 which changed the settings of my computer and I didn't realise until I started on that particular post. For the last couple of hours I've been trying and hopefully sorted the problem out as it played havoc with my ability to e.mail as well.

Graham.

Langley, add these to the list;-

A.F. B.271A - Regular Army (All Arms) Attestation Form 1931.

A.F. B.2079 - Discharge Cert print date 8/15.

A.F. B.2067 - Character Cert print date 1/15.

These latter two you will have already noted, but there seems to be slight variations and going off the time the recipient is discharged and what is printed on them I take it that these particular markings mentioned above are actual dates they were printed. Can anyone verify this?

Graham.

David, I have A.F. A. 2042 - Field Service Post Card

Also, my copy of A. F. Z. 21 isn't a certificate of Character on Demobilsation. but

"Certificate of {Discharge/Transfer to Reserve/Disembodiment/Demobilsation} on Demobilisation."

Tom

Langley,

I have the following already scanned.

B104-80B

B2067 - Schedule 41

D401A Memo to Discharged soldier for pension

B216 Pass for Recruits

B2505A Certified copy of Attestation

Peter

AF C330 CERTIFICATE OF CONDUCT & ABILITY, CIVILIAN SUBORDINATE

AF W3469 BOMB THROWING INSTRUCTORS CERTIFICATE

All the Best

Chris

I've just noticed this thread, and you folk may be interested to hear that some time ago I started a similar exercise for the Canadian Expeditionary Force. A discussion of the project may be found in this thread on the CEF Study Group Forum, or you can go direct to my project page:

The C.E.F. Paper Trail - An Unofficial Guide to the Official Canadian Army Service Records from The Great War

I always appreciate contributions of images of any CEF documents and related service records to add to the collection, which will include full descriptions of the documents, an analysis of the uses to which they were put, and a summary of the abbreviations commonly found in each document. I hope eventually to produce a resource which will help researchers extract as much as possible from the service records, although this will take some time. B)

Regards and best wishes,

Brett Payne

Tauranga, New Zealand

I've just noticed this thread, and you folk may be interested to hear that some time ago I started a similar exercise for the Canadian Expeditionary Force.  A discussion of the project may be found in this thread on the CEF Study Group Forum, or you can go direct to my project page:

The C.E.F. Paper Trail - An Unofficial Guide to the Official Canadian Army Service Records from The Great War

I always appreciate contributions of images of any CEF documents and related service records to add to the collection, which will include full descriptions of the documents, an analysis of the uses to which they were put, and a summary of the abbreviations commonly found in each document.  I hope eventually to produce a resource which will help researchers extract as much as possible from the service records, although this will take some time. B)

Regards and best wishes,

Brett Payne

Tauranga, New Zealand

Brett.

Here's a few you haven't listed...

M.F. W.2503...

post-357-1128981969.jpg

...Mil.Bk.84...

post-357-1128982053.jpg

...I notice that you don't have any images of the Canadian AB.64. Here's a couple of variants...

post-357-1128982118.jpg

...and...

M.F. W.2572...

Dave. (Feel free to use any of these images in your article)

post-357-1128982235.jpg

A few to help you along the way - descriptions from a soldiers Notebook.

P. 1934 Lodging, Fuel, Light & Stable allowances

P 1934A Field Allowance (also O 1628 earleir on in war)

P 1927 Forage

O 1658 Income Duty

O 1771 Travelling Claim

P 1948 Postage Telegrams etc.

(P?) 1927 Ration Allowance

a.r. (??) N 1513

TP Stoppages O 1643

TP Stoppages remitted O 1642

Statement as to disposal of a deserters clothing O1622

Statement of a n.e. soldiers a/c O 1625

Requisition for M. O. O 1806 (is MO Medical O. or Money Order??)

P & M Bk. N 1504

Claim for Bounty W 3458

Maternity Benefit Claim O 1834

Notification of charges against estates W 3094

sorry cant provide any scans as all of the forms nos I have provided are from E Bay & the qualitiy of the pictures is terrible

All The Best

Chris

...Mil.Bk.84...

I am sure this is a Mil.Bk 64 rather than 84 - its just the print isnt clear - I have the same pattern of one and cant be certain of the number on it either, but I know WW2 Canadian service and paybooks are "Militia Book 64s".

Alistair

I agree it does look like 84 (same on mine) - but I am going on the logic of it being the equivelent of the AB64, and also the later Canadian books being the Militia Book 64 - which would lead me to believe its 64 but I cant prove either way.

As for scope of the thread, I must admit I thought it was drifting off a bit with the addition of army books, and range tables etc - if it drifts into the realms of manuals and so on it may become a bit of a beast - possibly the best option is to start adjacent threads for other linked themes.

Just a thought

Alistair