Het Sas (Flanders/Belgium)

Malte Znaniecki

Het Sas

No 1

Subject: Result of French shell-fire on German trenches

Space of time: 15 August 1917

1917hetsas0019zt.jpg

Source:

Der Weltkrieg im Bild : Frontaufnahmen aus den Archiven der Entente. - München : Verl. "Der Weltkrieg im Bild", [o. J.]

"Het Sas"...is, if I am not mistaken, Dutch/Flemish, for a lock of a canal.

Not that one can see a lot of canals in this picture...

Map 1

Subject:

Space of time:

1915hetsasexp2zb.jpg

Source:

Willers, Hans: Königlich Preußisches Res.-Inf.-Regiment Nr. 215 / von Hans Willers. - 1. Teil: Von der Aufstellung des Regiments bis zum Einsatz bei Wytschaete (1. September 1914 bis 10. März 1916). - Oldenburg i. O. [u. a.] : Stalling, 1926. (Erinnerungsblätter deutscher Regimenter; 160/I)

Thanks, Malte, for the picture.

And living nearby (1 km) and knowing the area quite well I can easily locate it. Photo taken a few dozen meters from the canal, on the right (east) bank, where the first German line was, and less than a 100 meters from the lock itself, the south gates of which can be seen on the left side.

Very close to where the photographer must have been standing I recently found large lumps of reinforced concrete, very probably what was left of a German pillbox. I'll post a photo of them right after this.

Aurel

And the same area as it looks now. Well, actually, not now (our weather is not good right now, but 16 degrees centigrade warmer than on March 4)

Same as Malte's photo, but standing on the canal bank. The lock is right behind the boat.

Aurel

post-92-1128097466.jpg

Hello Aurel,

many, many thanks for your interesting pics and comments.

It is a great help and it is amazing to see the difference between yesterday and today.

So these topics get an interesting addition to this forum and will be useful for all the pals who are looking for focussed information to special places.

Thank you for your help

the old man from Husum/North Sea

The destroyed village of Lizerne after 2nd Battle of Ypres.

post-7723-1128694361.jpg

Captured French positions along the Yser Canal

Regards,

Cnock

post-7723-1128694470.jpg

• 3 months later...

Bruce,

For the past 20 years all war maps and photos of my village have got my special attention, but I have never seen any photos of Baboon trench (700 meters long, on east bank of the canal, north of the bridge), and of Baboon Support, Baboon Reserve, Baboon drive, Baboon Avenue, in the land 800 meters deep behind it, either. Or even a photo of the area where these trenches are.

(By the way, Baboon Trench now is a lovely path now, with even a (young) tree for each child born in Boezinge. Nice contrast with what it was 90 years ago !)

Aurel

Kanalsappe. (Of which Baboon Trench was only a part)

Baboon Support = Kanal-Strasse.

Aurel

Thank you very much, Aurel.

This will help to do a deeper search on the trench-maps now.

Best wishes

Malte