Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Good with Maps?

Sue Light

While I was looking through the war diary of the 2nd Battalion Royal Sussex, I came across some excellent maps. I was interested to see that the graves of four officers were marked on one map. The four are all now named on the Menin Gate:

E. A. Lousada

L. R. Crofts

F. Marillier

C. F. Shaw

Three died on 30th October 1914, and the fourth [Lousada] a couple of days later on 2nd November. The action at the time was in the area of Chateau Wood [Herenthage Chateau], but is it possible for anyone to pinpoint the exact place of burial of these men, now in 'lost' graves, and say whether they are within an existing cemetery? Given a year or two I might be able to work it out, but know someone here will be able to do it in a couple of minutes :)

I've shrunk the map for the Forum - I hope the detail shows

Thanks

Sue

Great map, Sue.

The location of the graves is as follows: I don't have a corresponding map I can post right now, but if you have say the Ypres League map you can follow me there...

From Clapham Junction on the Menin Road go south along the road to Clonmel Copse. Turn left and go to Lower Star Post in Shrewsbury Forest. Carry on, passing the track to Groenenburg Farm on your right. The junction is point D on the left of your map and you are on the track coming from "Open".

The stream shown on your map, coming up from the word Inn, is the Bassevillebeek.

Just off your map to the right and down a bit is Kent Farm.

There is no CWGC cemetery at the spot.

Quick enough?  :lol:

Did I expect any less?! Thanks for that - I shall definitely have to go and pay my respects some time, if it's still possible. There are several similar maps and they also give positions for some of the other battalions in the brigade - 1st Northamptons for instance. If anyone wants them, I can send them as .pdf files.

Sue