Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HT Marquette

chrisharley9

HT "Marquette", torpedoed and sunk by 'U35' on 23 October 1915, 57.5 kilometres south from Salonika Bay, carrying the 29th Division Ammunition Column and the New Zealand Stationary Hospital.

Has any Pal got any more info please

All The Best

Chris

Dave

Many thanks

All The Best

Chris

Chris,

To add a small amount of information to what's on the excellent website Dave provided the link for, Waldemar Kophamel was another extremely distinguished submarine commander and future Pour Le Merite winner. Soon after sinking the Marquette, he became the commander of all German submarines in the Mediterranean. He later returned to Germany and commanded the U-cruisers U 151 and U 140.

U 35 was, of course, the top scoring submarine of all time.

Marquette was a 7057 grt steamer of the Atlantic Transport Co. Ltd. She was built in 1898 and was at one time named Bordicea.

Best wishes,

Michael

Once again Michael my thanks

All The best

Chris

What exactly did HT stand for?

The ship seems also to be described as a hospital ship or transport, so does it mean "His Majesty's Transport (or Troopship)" -if so then why not HMT?

Adrian

Adrian

I think it is Hired Transport - no doubt someone will put me right if I'm wrong

All The Best

Chris

• 10 months later...
Guest westaway
HT "Marquette", torpedoed and sunk by 'U35' on 23 October 1915, 57.5 kilometres south from Salonika Bay, carrying the 29th Division Ammunition Column and the New Zealand Stationary Hospital.

Has any Pal got any more info please

All The Best

Chris

• 1 year later...

U35 surrendered 26.11.1918. She is credited with the sinking of 224 Allied ships. Lancejack.

Lancejack

thanks for that

Chris

• 4 months later...

Chris, if you're still interested in the Marquette, there are a number of chapters which look at it from the perspective of the nurses in a book that was published this year.

The Other Anzacs: Nurses at War, 1914-1918 by Peter Rees. Published Allen & Unwin 2008.

Allie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Does it have a list of casualties. I have a post running on here for a Bombardier H.L. Parnell RFA.

I have his 14-15 Medal and want to return it to a next of kin and think he may have been on that ship at the time of his death.

Cheers

Andy

Allie

thanks for that pointer

Chris

No worries,

I've found he was onboard. All the details are here on how she sank etc :

http://www.ww2talk.com/forum/searching-som...-relatives.html

Cheers

Andy

Hi,

Does it have a list of casualties. I have a post running on here for a Bombardier H.L. Parnell RFA.

I have his 14-15 Medal and want to return it to a next of kin and think he may have been on that ship at the time of his death.

Cheers

Andy