Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scots

Tim Godden

Hi tgrren 952,

10th Royal Scots (sometimes written as 1/10th) were a territorial battalion engaged throughout the war on coastal defense in East Lothian, and which didn't serve abroad. However, they provided copious drafts of men who went abroad to serve with Royal Scots battalions (and Royal Scots Fusiliers, just to confuse matters, and other lowland regiments), particularly to regular battalions which suffered huge casualties.

So your grandfather may have served exclusively in the UK, or perhaps abroad; do you have any medals for him? If so, then he must have served abroad. Alas, John McBride is quite a common name, and Ancestry has Medal Cards to several dozen of them in various battalions of the Royal Scots and other lowland regiments.

If you haven't found it already, Chris Baker's award-winning site The Long Long Trail is excellent if tracing a particular WW1 soldier - look Here.

William

• 4 months later...

The ill fated 7th coming home in May,1919. The man indicated is Forum member Colin Heaney's Grandfather Robert Nicholson and I am grateful to him for contacting me.attachicon.gifattachment

Here is Robert Nicholson, he was my Great Grandfathers mate: http://royalscots.smugmug.com/RobertBairdsPhotos/i-KK57XBB/X3

Please let Colin know.

Cheers

Nathan

P.s. Was reading an 8 year old post and the name clicked. I only just inherited the photos and no one has seen them in at least 40 years. Meant to be :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Not particularly researching Royal Scots, but have just discovered my grandfather 41079 Pte Herbert Callister served with 17th battalion 1915 to 1918.

Marilyn

17th Royal Scots are an interesting battalion - they were a Bantam Battalion (i.e. small but fit men) in the 35th Division, which saw a great deal of action in the last two years of the war.

William.

does anyone have any info on the 11 (service) Btn and it's time in France I am studying a relative 3666 Pte J Morgan from Ladybank in Fife.

• 4 years later...

Hi I also have interest in the Royal Scots. My grandfather character ref no 13364 Lance Corporal David Crawford was in the 11th battalion fought in France seemingly at the Battle of Loos, where he was severely injured with a bullet wound through his wrist...he was sent to a hospital in Belfast..he was pensioner out due to this injury which caused him problems all his life, I remember as a wee girl him sitting with a huge leather type support with buckles..his arm was useless tho refused amputation.

I have some odds & ends that I can post on this wonderful site to share. 

I would be grateful for any further information on him. Thank you 

FB_IMG_1580120538423.jpg

Edited by Alma Baxter

FB_IMG_1580120545328.jpg.96b8b99298a95bb066829dd8e7ff5405.jpgHi I also have interest in the Royal Scots. My grandfather Lance Corporal David Crawford was in the 11th battalion fought in France seemingly at the Battle of Loos, where he was severely injured with a bullet wound through his wrist...he was sent to a hospital in Belfast..he was pensioner out due to this injury which caused him problems all his life, I remember as a wee girl him sitting with a huge leather type support with buckles..his arm was useless tho refused amputation.

I have some odds & ends that I can post on this wonderful site to share. 

I would be grateful for any further information on him. Thank you 

FB_IMG_1580120553434.jpg

9 hours ago, Alma Baxter said:

13364 Lance Corporal David Crawford was in the 11th battalion

Hi Alma

If you have an Ancestry subscription his Silver War Badge and Pension Ledger, medal Index Card and rolls are on there. Not sure about his service records as a lot were destroyed in WW2 and with a common name all you can do is dig through the list.

regards

Robert

Hi

Was successful in identifying an unknown L/Cpl of the 1/8th Royal Scots (51st Highland Division).L/Cpl Brunton Smith who was killed 24/03/1918. His Re-dedication service will take place for on the 24th March 2020 in Bancourt British Cemetery Northern France. He came from Roslyn. 

Regards

Andy

• 1 year later...

I'm hoping that someone may be able to help - I'm currently looking at a couple of 1st Battalion, later 2nd Battalion, Royal Scots men who appear as wounded on the War Office Daily List for 12 April 1916. I think on the balance of probabilities that they were most likely to both still have been with the 1st Battalion at that time (their service records don't survive so I can't be sure). I understand that 1/RS was in the line overlooking the Langaza Valley at that time, and I was wondering if anyone with knowledge of the 1st Battalion could confirm whether they suffered any casualties in the period March-mid April 1916, who could be the men I am looking at? Many thanks.

Edited by Manipled Mutineer