GrandsonMichael

stuck in a rutt

Today, 06:47 PM

Post #17

Lance-Corporal

Group: Members

Member No.: 5,066

Hello there,

You Gentlemen all seem to be very up on the Essex Reg.

Could someone possibly help me? I am trying to find out the history of Pvt Edward Hale 1st Essex Reg 1917-1927.

He could be listed somewhere as Lance Corp or Lance Serg, he kept being naughty promoted and demoted. Bless him!

I have his service book but that actualy holds damn all in it.

He was apparently in India at some point as my Gran refused to go ou there with him, and he sent a photo to her from there, but no record in service. Also he went to Ireland while he was still with the Regs, but again no information.

Could any body tell me if there is any mention of Edward Hale in any book 1st Essex Reg that would confirm he did go on these posts. Actually any info at all would be great.

Thank you x

Cassie

Hi Cassie,

It’s not easy to look up an individual soldier in Burrows Essex Units in the War 1914 – 1919, 1st Battalion The Essex Regiment. First of all hardly any Other Ranks are mentioned, unless they distinguished themselves in some way, which made them stand out: won a medal or so, and often died in the process. Another problem is that this book is not indexed.

It will be tough to find any reference to Pte. Edward Hale in general, ironically because he survived the War.....

It looks as though his Medal Index Card is online: here: pte. E. Hale, 34364. If you fork out £ 3.50 you might find some information like when he entered what theatre of war. He would have been entitled to the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.

There is something strange about the information you give concerning his service record: if he served with the 1st Battalion Essex Regiment continuously from 1917 to 1927 that is: according to my sources the 1st Bn. wasn’t in India at all during this period. It was in France & Flanders from 1917 to the end of the War, in Ireland from 1919 to 1922, in England (Borden & Colchestor) until 1929.

If he was in India he must have been transferred to the 2nd Battalion, which was stationed there from 1922 onwards for ages. I’m quite curious to know what is mentioned in his service book and if there are any other little tid-bits of information you might have. The photo from India for instance might give a clue.....is it in your possession?

You could try to get a copy of his service record. As he served until 1927 there should be a service record kept at the Army Personnel Centre, Civil Secretariat, Historical Disclosures, Mail Point 400, Kentigem House, 65 Brown Street, Glasgow G2 8EX, costs £ 25.00 and it can take more then half a year before results are produced.....

Cheers,

Michael