Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt Harold Gerge Kitchener DCM 43723

steve fuller

Hi Pals

Have this chaps CWGC & DCM citation

Can anyone add to them with SDGW etc please?

Also says "formerly 19469 Bedfordshire Regt, can anyone confirm if it was the 7th Battalion please?

(OK, opening betting that stebie will have summat to add ... :lol: )

Thanks Pals :D

Steve,

all i have is

Born Loughton, Buckinghamshire

Enlisted Bedford,

no other info on sdgw than you already have

mandy

Steve,

all i have is

Born Loughton, Buckinghamshire

Enlisted Bedford,

no other info on sdgw than you already have

mandy

Ta v much Mandy ole chum :D

Only have exactly what's been given already mate.

KIA per SDGW.

I estimated date of transfer around mid 1916. First deaths of a big batch of Bedfords transfers (350+) started at Thiepval 26-9-1916. Probably replacing losses at Trones Wood 14-7-16 (approx 250 men) and 1-7-16 (approx 100 men)

He seems unusual in the fact that his number was in the 19000s. 95% of the others were in the 26000s and were probably new recruits who only trained in the Bedfordshires, went over to France in 1916 and were very soon transferred to the 6th, 7th & 8th Service Battalions of the Northamptonshires. Probably due to him being and NCO...

I started a thread on it a while back which you contributed to.

These MICs are on the list of things to do at the NA next time there.

Steve.

Sorry for the late answer. Been to the dogs... (for work <_< )

Alright, I lied. A bit more info. :P

Birth registered March 1897, Newport Pagnell.

Son of George Ernest Kitchener, born Loughton 1873 and Alice Sophia Kitchener (nee Dance) born Stratton, Gloucestershire, also 1873.

Brother of George Kitchener, born 1900.

Since he was age 17 in 1914 and 19 in 1916, it could be surmised that he joined up at 17 or 18 in 1914 or 1915, forgot to lie about his age, got given the lowish number, rose to Sergeant while on home duty, and went to France in Spring 1916 when he was 19.

How many guesses was that in a row?

Steve.

Volunteered August 1914. Local newspaper notes one of the first men of Loughton to do so. Drafted to France August 1915. Unsure of the timings of his promotion but certainly a Sergeant by July 1916. Sources North Bucks Times & County Observer, Fenny Stratford Edition – 1st August 1916 & The Bucks Standard – 29th July 1916. Commemorated on both the Loughton & Fenny Stratford memorials.

Thanks one & all. The info's for another forum Pal who cant get on for a while, so on his behalf, thanks very much :D

Will; btw, he has also trawled the Mk area memorials over many years mate, before the days of Internet etc, so you 2 may be able to share some info? Thought Id add that as he's another MK-ite.

Also says "formerly 19469 Bedfordshire Regt, can anyone confirm if it was the 7th Battalion please?

Yes he was 7th Beds.

I may have a picture if interested, but it may be in a container half way to Fremantle.

John.

Just like to say a huge thank you to, Steve, Mandy,Will, John and especially Mr Fuller for all your help and interest regarding Sgt Kitchener. Im the MK-ite who originally asked Steve Fuller if he had any information on this soldier, as usual he was only to pleased to help, a true gent! Cheers again, and the very best to all.

Sean.

Just like to say a huge thank you to, Steve, Mandy,Will, John and especially Mr Fuller for all your help and interest regarding Sgt Kitchener. Im the MK-ite who originally asked Steve Fuller if he had any information on this soldier, as usual he was only to pleased to help, a true gent! Cheers again, and the very best to all.

Sean.

Sean...............Can I ask what your particular interest is in Harold Kitchener?

Hi Will,

My interest aside from my soldier ancestry, is in the 1st war dead of the towns and villages that make up the city of Milton Keynes.

Harold Kitchener is featured on my "local" memorial at Loughton, always intrigued by the fact that he won the DCM as well.

Cheers, Sean.

Hi Will,

My interest aside from my soldier ancestry, is in the 1st war dead of the towns and villages that make up the city of Milton Keynes.

Harold Kitchener is featured on my "local" memorial at Loughton, always intrigued by the fact that he won the DCM as well.

Cheers, Sean.

Sean.....Done some research on a number of MK area memorials................if you have any casualties in particular you want to know about........drop me an email or PM & you can have what I've got.

Thanks Will, i will take you up on that offer when i get myself organised!

Most of my research is in numerous note pads, box files etc.

Speak soon and thanks again. Sean.

Sean - absolute pleasure pal. Glad you & Will "got together". Will was the guy I made reference to when you popped round that night btw. Having met both of you, reckon your interest will be of use to one another (but obviously the wives wont enjoy it!!!!) :D

Sean.....Done some research on a number of MK area memorials................if you have any casualties in particular you want to know about........drop me an email or PM & you can have what I've got.

Will, out of interest, what memorials in the MK area have you researched?

Sean.

Its all thanks to you Steve!

Cheers mate, Sean.

Dont mention it mate. I knew Will from previous expeditions so realised you would do well to know each other ...

Thats the beauty of this forum, theres no need to "know it all", as collectively we seem to have almost everything covered!! :D . Good 'ere innit? B)

Will, out of interest, what memorials in the MK area have you researched?

Sean.

Bow Brickhill, Bradwell, Fenny Stratford & Old Bletchley fairly extensively.

Cranfield, Drayton Parslow, Emberton, Great Brickhill, Heath & Reach,

Little Brickhill, Loughton, Marston Mortaine, Mursley, Newport Pagnell, Newton Longville, Wolverton, Simpson, Soulbury, Stewkley, Stony Stratford, Wavendon, Whaddon, Willen, Woburn Sands, Wolverton, Woughton on the Green less so.

Leighton Buzzard, Castlethorpe, Deanshanger, Hanslope, Hulcote, Olney, Potterspury, Ridgemont, Shenley & Woburn on a basic level......i.e mostly just identifying the casualties.

Leighton Buzzard, ... on a basic level......i.e mostly just identifying the casualties.

Hi Will, dont wanna crash the party mate but would be interested in the LB ones if OK? To be honest its initially to see how many Ive missed that served in the 5th, but Im also building a list "as I go along" about LB & surrounding villages soldiers (being born & bred Linslade myself, I suppose I would!).

If you wouldnt object, be really useful to build from your list & add details as I go? Welcome to use whatever I have already & find as I mooch along of course!

I find it amazing how many family names & names from school I know as I look through rolls of honour, know all the roads they talk about etc, etc, so gotta be done really!

Cheers Will :D

Steve

Hi Will, dont wanna crash the party mate but would be interested in the LB ones if OK? To be honest its initially to see how many Ive missed that served in the 5th, but Im also building a list "as I go along" about LB & surrounding villages soldiers (being born & bred Linslade myself, I suppose I would!).

If you wouldnt object, be really useful to build from your list & add details as I go? Welcome to use whatever I have already & find as I mooch along of course!

I find it amazing how many family names & names from school I know as I look through rolls of honour, know all the roads they talk about etc, etc, so gotta be done really!

Cheers Will  :D

Steve

No problems Steve..............my Leighton Buzzard file is a bit patchy but a quick scan shows 4 from the 5th Beds

Private Alec Joseph Faulkner 4327 Died of Wounds at Gallipoli on the 31st August 1915. On the Helles Memorial. (CWGC has his forename as Alex). Based on his age from the 1901 census, I have him approx 19 years old at death. The census states he was Leighton Buzzard born. Son of William & Sarah Faulkner (Neither listed as NOK on CWGC). Youngest of five children. Two elder brothers Frank, George & two elder sisters Miriam & Jessie. The family must have lived in Linslade at some point as the two eldest boys Frank & George were both born there. His father was a gardener. SDGW have place of residence & enlistment both being Leighton Buzzard.

Private Richard James Hyde 4878. Died in the UK 9th January 1915 age 21 & buried in the local cemetery. Son of Benjamin & Ellen Hyde of 28 Vandyke Road, Leighton Buzzard. 1901 census has him born in Leighton Buzzard but at that time living in Stoke Hammond. He was the second of Benjamin & Ellen's four children. He had an elder brother William & a younger one Benjamin junior. He also had a younger sister Constance. Pupil at Beaudesert School. His father was a Farm Carter. SDGW have place of residence & enlistment both being Leighton Buzzard.

Private Frederick Ernest Perry 2846. Killed in Action at Gallipoli 15th August 1915 age 21. On the Helles Memorial. Son of David Perry of 11 Queen Street, Leighton Buzzard. SDGW have place of birth being Newton Longville & place of residence & enlistment both being Leighton Buzzard. Not done a full census search yet but Frederick & his father David are on there. His father was a Railway Labourer.

Private Harold Arthur Quick 4735. Died of Wounds at Gallipoli 6th September 1915 age 19. On Helles Memorial. Son of Alfred & Clara Quick of 70 Hockcliffe Road, Leighton Buzzard. Not done a full census search yet but it does show him born in Leighton Buzzard & his parents Alfred & Clara. His father was & Painter & Glazier . SDGW have place of residence & enlistment both being Leighton Buzzard. Member of A Company.

Hi Sean & Will

I have also been researching the Fenny WM and had 10 men who I could not track down one of whom was HGK. The others are:

E.A.Ashton

S.Barden

J.Bridge

W.Guess

J.Langley

V.C.Lord

J.P.Mason

H.T.Morris

T.C.Richardson

Do you have anything on these men you would be willing to share?

Will, with regards to the report I sent you about the attack on Chocolate Hill, I have now found some more on this if you are interested?

Regards

IanC

Hi Ian,

Had a quick look at my research into the Fenny war memorial and it appears the men that you have been unable to find are the same that i have no information on, helpful eh!

I must admit ive not done much work on this memorial, will have a good search through my stuff today and see what i can dig up.

Best wishes, Sean.

Hi Sean & Will

I have also been researching the Fenny WM and had 10 men who I could not track down one of whom was HGK. The others are:

E.A.Ashton

S.Barden

J.Bridge

W.Guess

J.Langley

V.C.Lord

J.P.Mason

H.T.Morris

T.C.Richardson

Do you have anything on these men you would be willing to share?

Will, with regards to the report I sent you about the attack on Chocolate Hill, I have now found some more on this if you are interested?

Regards

IanC

Ian..................Anything more on the action at Chocolate Hill would be greatly appreciated.

E.A Ashton..............nothing concrete I'm afraid.................have tried to pin down a Fenny connection to Private Edward Albert Ashton who was killed at Loos in 1915 but have never been able to do so.

S. Barden................again a bit of an enigma..............throughout my 'Barden' research I came across two F.H. Barden's who should be on the memorial, but as you will know there is only one.............I've often wondered whether S. Barden was an inscription error & that he is the missing F.H. Barden but have never been able to prove it.

J. Bridge.................I curse the day whoever did the touch up on the memorial names picked up their paintbrush..I am certain it should be T. Bridge......

Pte Thomas Bridge 41701 8th Lincs Regt who was killed in action 4th October 1917. Thomas enlisted in Bletchley. He was also a parishioner at the local Baptist church & was one of a number of casualties afforded a memorial service there at the end of the war. (this was sourced from the North Bucks & County Observer, Fenny Stratford edition 17th December 1918).

W. Guess................Again nothing concrete but I am guessing (no pun intended) that this is Pte William Guess 203844 2/4 OBLI, killed in action 22nd August 1917. Whilst I haven't found a Fenny connection yet, William was certainly from the surrounding area with positive connections to Woburn Sands & Wavendon (William is on the Wavendon memorial)

J. Langley...............Private James John Langley 11843 1 Irish Guards, killed in action 9th October 1917. His parents George & Mary Langley lived at Yards End Farm in Bletchley. (this was sourced from the North Bucks & County Observer, Fenny Stratford edition 6th November 1917).

V.C. Lord.................I don't want to say too much about this guy at the moment as he is my current pet project.............I know who he is...........Private Victor Lord who served with 7 OBLI.............what I am trying to ascertain is whether he is on the memorial in error (he was certainly posted as missing in action as I have a date & I know his family made extensive enquires via the Red Cross to his whereabouts) or whether he is a bona fide casualty who was missed by both the CWGC & his regiment (as he is not listed on SDGW either)..............I'll keep you posted on that one.

J.P Mason................Nothing I'm afraid..........not a clue or even a gut feeling on him yet.................I reckon I've got at least 30 years left before I pop my mortal coil so I haven't given up yet on Mr Mason.

H.T. Morris..............Working on a lead at the moment......possibly a Private Harry Morris 220375 1 Royal Berks killed in action 25th March 1918............Harry certainly has Buckinghamshire connections & he worked at the Wolverton Works & I am trying to find a Fenny connection. Only problem with Harry is that his second name is Wilfred rather than something beginning with T.

T.C. Richardson..................Pretty sure this should be T.G. Richardson (thanks again to the touch up artist) this I think is Pte Thomas George Richardson 22079

6 Beds Regt. Although Thomas was from Ravenstone I believe the Bletchley connection is through his wife. I am postive she resided in Bow Brickhill when he was killed & looking for a move to Fenny/Bletchley by the end of the war.

No problems Steve..............my Leighton Buzzard file is a bit patchy but a quick scan shows 4 from the 5th Beds

Thanks mate. If this is any use ...

4327 Faulkner; LBO 1919: "FAULKNER, sons of Mrs. Faulkner, late Heath Road :-

(before the war was a) Solicitor's Clerk; Spet 1914 Private 1/5th Bn. Beds Regt.; July 1915 to Gallipoli; Aug Wounded; Aug. 31st, Died of Wounds". War diary only mentions sniping 30th & 31st, so assume he got caught by a sniper? The faulkners owned a shop in the Leighton Linslade bridge when I was growing up. gramps told me he'd lost relatives in the first war, wonder if that was them?

Pte 4878 Hyde; LBO 1919. "HYDE, 2 sons of Mr. B. Hyde, Vandyke Road :-

Richard James - 28 Vandyke Road. Grocer's assistant; Nov 1914, Pte., 5th Batt. Beds Regiment; Jan 1915, Died.

(Also, for info) William, Thistletown, Ontario, farm labourer; 1915, July, Pte., Canadian Horse; Transferred to Machine Gun Batt.; 1918, Sept., Wounded." Nothing doing in Jan 1915 at all, so would have been illness or an old wound IMHO. Either likely to be fair, but illness gets my vote (on the surface)

Pte 4735 QUICK; In Rimmer book with a pic FYI. LBO 1919:

"QUICK Harold Arthur, 70, Hockliffe Road, carpenter; Nov 1914 Pte., 1/5th Batt. Beds Regiment; July 1915 To Gallipoli; Sept., Died of Wounds." Was wounded 15th August attack & fairly sure I read he was a bandsman but struggling to recall where at the mo ...

Hope its of use?

Cheers mate :D

Steve

Regards

IanC

Hi Ian

Soz to gatecrash, but is it a Beds report at all, as in the supporting fire? Unlikely I know bt thought Id ask!!!

Another MK-ite; blimey theres a few of us now!! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Steve