Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Game to the Last

Andrew P

Just finished reading this recently released book by James Hurst about the 11th Battalion AIF on Gallipoli.

It's a very good read.

He takes the reader through the formation of the battalion, the training and their eventual arrival in Egypt and Gallipoli.

The 11th Battalion was part of the 3rd Brigade which landed at Anzac Cove on the morning of April 25th. After the initial landing the battalion was chosen to make a raid on Gaba Tepe and therafter held portions of the line around Tasmania Post & Silt Spur.

The 11th also attacked and held Leanes Trench on the 1st of August. A terrible little battle that was a prelude to the attack on Lone Pine.

The 11th served in the front line continously from April 25th to November 1915 until at last they were relieved for a rest.

Hurst uses accounts from soldiers who were there and it makes for very interesting reading.

I found the last chapter quite poignant as it says what later happened to the men whose accounts he uses.

It's published by Oxford University Press

http://www.oup.com.au/searchbuy/SearchResu...3314#0195553314

post-43-1122352148.gif

• 1 year later...

I've just recently bought a copy of this - and so far have just dipped into it, so fuller comments have yet to follow, but I have been surprised at the level of detail and thoroughness to the point where I already feel I should be commending it to anyone with an interest in the actions and units at Gallipoli.

Some units forged particular links with particular areas of the peninsula. The 11th AIF had a particular association with the area to the south of Lone Pine reflecting names such as Leane's Trench and Bolton's ridge. Tasmania post and the Valley of Despair. These are lesser visited areas at Anzac - most visitors tend to look out to the south from Lone Pine Cemetery but go no further or perhaps walk down Artillery Road to Shell Grenn behind the front line of part of this sector. Hurst's accounts of the 11th and some of the actions in this area should be enough to encourage visitors to want to visit and explore this area.

As Andrew says they were also involved in a raid on Gaba Tepe - again an area which is little explored or understood and this account does much to describe those events in detail.

Australian authors and publishers seem to be doing excellent work producing unit histories (think Ron Austin and Neville Browning..) This one provides not only the tale of the 11th at Gallipoli but also takes us to places litle considered by many visitors.