Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Charles Dwan

liverpool annie

Would it be possible to find Georges medal card for his Gallantry medal? thanking you in advance!

george,charles dwan

royal west surrey regt

No5805

corporal

george,charles dwan

queens royal west surrey regt

g/5805

corporal.

george.charles dwan

RAF

No 135503

corporal

Here is his entry in the London Gazette:

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Gazette 9-7-1917 (Published 6-7-1917) Issue 30172, Page 21

5805 Cpl. G. C. Dwan, R.W. Surr. R.

Judging by those dates it could well be for the attack at Arras in April 1917 - providing he was there...

This will be his MM or DCM MIC card - Series WO 372/23 cards are all for MMs or DCMs.

(I will double check whether it is an MM or DCM. The Gazette is playing up with me at the moment. It looks like an entry for an MM however)

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...&resultcount=17

The MIC will probably carry his full unit name if you don't know it already.

G/5805 RWS and later RAF will be his Service Medals.

Steve.

Here is his entry in the London Gazette:

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Gazette 9-7-1917 (Published 6-7-1917) Issue 30172, Page 21

5805 Cpl. G. C. Dwan, R.W. Surr. R.

Judging by those dates it could well be for the attack at Arras in April 1917 - providing he was there...

This will be his MM or DCM MIC card - Series WO 372/23 cards are all for MMs or DCMs.

(I will double check whether it is an MM or DCM. The Gazette is playing up with me at the moment. It looks like an entry for an MM however)

The MIC will probably carry his full unit name if you don't know it already.

G/5805 RWS and later RAF will be his Service Medals.

Steve.

Well I just wrote a reply to you Steve but it went into cyberspace :rolleyes:

Thank you so much for your reply I really appreciate it

Couldn't get the Gazette though - not found - showing!

Regards

Annie

The Gazette site seems to be back working again. It was indeed a Military Medal. The heading for the list is on page 17.

Just out of interest, there was a T Dwan of Bermondsey of the East Surrey Regiment awarded an MM on 19-3-1918. Could be related bearing in mind the unusual name and area.

Steve.

The Gazette site seems to be back working again. It was indeed a Military Medal. The heading for the list is on page 17.

Just out of interest, there was a T Dwan of Bermondsey of the East Surrey Regiment awarded an MM on 19-3-1918. Could be related bearing in mind the unusual name and area.

Steve.

Hi Steve

Thank you for the extra information - I don't know about the T Dwan yet - but will certainly look into it - thank you so much

Annie

• 3 years later...

Annie, is he a relative? I have a photo of him somewhere if thats any help.... (that's if I can find it even... :huh: ), I believe he got the MM for rescuing a man from the edge of a Trench losing some fingers in the process.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...
Annie, is he a relative? I have a photo of him somewhere if thats any help.... (that's if I can find it even... :huh: ), I believe he got the MM for rescuing a man from the edge of a Trench losing some fingers in the process.

Tom

Hi Tom,

He's a direct relative of mine (my great grandfather). He did lose a finger, I don't know the story.

I'd love to see the photo if you still have it and it's not too much trouble.

I don't know much about his wartime adventures, sadly, but he lived to a good age, had ten children and was a true gent by all accounts.

Vic

Hi Tom,

He's a direct relative of mine (my great grandfather). He did lose a finger, I don't know the story.

I'd love to see the photo if you still have it and it's not too much trouble.

I don't know much about his wartime adventures, sadly, but he lived to a good age, had ten children and was a true gent by all accounts.

Vic

Hi,

I'll try and dig it out of my external drive :D

ATB,

Tom

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

I'll try and dig it out of my external drive :D

ATB,

Tom

Thank you ever so much!

Hi Vic

I'm guessing you dont have his medals, I have seen both his British War Medal and his MM on the market over the last few years (both at separate times) neither have made their way in to my collection, I will keep my eyes peeled for you.

Regards

Neil

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Vic

I'm guessing you dont have his medals, I have seen both his British War Medal and his MM on the market over the last few years (both at separate times) neither have made their way in to my collection, I will keep my eyes peeled for you.

Regards

Neil

Hi Neil,

How sad. I didn't know that.

Thanks for the info. If you hear anything else, please let me know.

Just out of curiosity, how much do those medals tend to go for usually?

Steve.

Doesn't seem so, according to another ggdaughter...

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?P...74608.msg307439

If that's correct, then his brother was Thomas F of the RFA.

Quite a little enclave of Dwans in St Olave, Bermondsey on the 1911 census. High chance it's a first cousin.

Hi Neil,

How sad. I didn't know that.

Thanks for the info. If you hear anything else, please let me know.

Just out of curiosity, how much do those medals tend to go for usually?

A single MM to the Queen's would be around the £350+ mark and a single British War Medal to an MM winner £50+

I will keep eyes peeled and if they appear again I will let you know

• 8 months later...
A single MM to the Queen's would be around the £350+ mark and a single British War Medal to an MM winner £50+

I will keep eyes peeled and if they appear again I will let you know

index.jpg

Sorry for the very long delay, but my HDD died and I have been trying to sift the 1tb of photo's manually into another HD, PIB :-(

Anyways sorry for the awfully long delay,

Tom

• 3 years later...

My turn to apologise for an even longer delay, Tom. I'm just getting back to the family tree after a few years away from it, wishing I'd not taken a break from it because I now need to refresh my memory...

I'll be back as soon as I've caught up. First I want to find out which battalion George Charles Dwan was in.

Thank you for the photo. :)

Vic

Having now caught up after hijacking someone else's thread (sorry!) -

I just wanted to add here that George Charles Dwan was in the 1st Bn, according to his MM card.

Thanks to everyone who helped me find this. :)

Vic