Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major new project & I need your help

John_Hartley

Pals

Over the past several months, I've been in discussions with Stockport Council to undertake a voluntary project to research all the WW1 casualties commemorated on the various war memorials in the Borough. Just short of 3000 names.

This morning I've received the "green light" from the appropriate senior councillor and the project has been given top priority for the Library. I am an extremely happy camper. :)

The "deal" is that, over a period of about 5 or 6 years, I will research the men - writing mini-biographies on each. This will include information from newspapers of the time, other freely available other sources (like the free bit of the Census) and, from war diaries/regimental histories, some information about the circumstances of his death.

In return the Council will display the write-ups on it's own website (almost as a virtual war memorial). As far as I know, this will be a first for a major local authority (I'm aware of a couple of parish council and college memorial websites) and, as such, is a potential nation-wide precedent setter.

As I say, this is a voluntary project and the council has no funding (except that connected with the website). And I have limited funds to devote to this "hobby".

So this is where you come in. If you have logged that you have war diaries or histories and have offered look-ups, you can expect me to be quite shameless in asking for information. I will not be offended if you think I am abusing your good nature. However, anything I can do, to limit the amount I have to fork out to visit Kew, I will do.

Similarly, I expect to be back to the situation of asking daft questions about all sorts of matters outside of my research knowledge.

The state of play is that I have managed to identify a high percentage of the names on the memorials. A few more may be identified through further research sources (although finding F Smith amongst the town's absent voters list may not be easy). But it means there is an index to upload to the website.

In addition, I've completed 800 biographies (all men serving with the Cheshires). There have also been three previous small research projects in the Borough on which I will draw - two books and my original website project.

This should keep me off the streets for a while.

John

John,

Good luck with this very worthwhile project.

Best wishes woth this huge undertaking.

And I'm sure the Chief Constable of Greater Manchester is too ... Hartley off the streets .. everybody down the pub.

:P

John,

Salutations and congratulations.

You say this is a potential nationwide trend-setter. Let's hope so, and thanks must go to Stockport Council for backing such a worthwhile project.

Ask away, though I'm sure the traffic will be two-way and that you will give as much as you receive.

I am very interested in Northamptonshire's 'bit' during the Great War, which included a hosting the 6th Cheshires and other units of the 53rd Division. If I come across any potential Stockports in my researches, I'll let you know.

John, I'm very pleased for you that they have finally agreed to this. I can't conceive of 8000 biographies, so I'm awed by your commitment.

Unfortunate that there's no funding of any sort. Are there no avenues to explore for this?

I can't offer to help with the biographies, as it isn't my scene, but you know the sort of things I can do, so just ask.

Gwyn

Hi John,

What have I told you before?! You know you can ask me for any research help at the PRO. My offer still stands. Apart from doing work for Chris I am not doing any personal research at the moment, so more than happy to help in a project. Obviously baby George dictates the amount of time that I can get to the PRO.

Well done by the way. At last its 'off the ground'.

Alie.

I can't conceive of 8000 biographies,

Unfortunate that there's no funding of any sort. Are there no avenues to explore for this?

Gwyn

It's 800 done, not 8000 (2200 to go). But big enough already. It can get a bit repetitive. Actually, it can get a lot repetitive. There are only so many many ways you can say "John was the son of Alfred and got blown up by a shell". The benefit of writing for this sort of website project is that no-one is going to read it "cover to cover", so the repetitive nature isnt such a big problem as it would be in a book.

In terms of funding, the Council has been quite clear that there is none (not even travel expenses). It did, however, make a very very vague noises about applications to the Lottery Heritage Fund in a year or so (but I'm not holding my breath).

My thanks, in particular, to you, Alie, Des & Kate and the several other Pals (you know who you are) who have encouraged me to keep picking away at the Council over this.

John

Congratulations, John. It's great to know that the project has gone official after all your hard work in preparing the way. I'll be happy to help in any way I can.

Tom

John

Is this the man who had 'finished' a year or so ago? Good luck with the project, and if you find anyone really interesting on the memorial [and that means nurses :rolleyes: ] it will be a pleasure to help with them. Also with a long list of battalion war diary extracts that I have, if any are of use.

I also seem to have got involved with a new, rather large project, although not quite on the Stockport scale - more sleepless nights wondering 'WHY'?

Regards

Sue

Ooops. Reading without my glasses (lazy woman) I misread the 3 as an 8!

That's better.

Gwyn

Nice one John-I have at least 33 Stockport chaps who lost their lives with Shropshires plus there may be more as my database is still slit between computers. I and have not looked at other one. Needless to say I will pass on all info. I have in due couse.

Good luck with your project

Annette

John,

Good luck with this very worthwhile project.

You may, or may not, be intersted to know that I have produced something similar in my own area but have not yet taken the plunge by placing all the data on a website. There about 2500 names listed in the North Herts war memorials covering WW1 & WW2, and I have data on most of them. The local branch of the RBL have published the section on the Stevenage War Memorial, so at least some of my work is in print.

Given that you are planning to complete this project over a long term period and not in something silly like 2 or 3 months then I may be able to assist. I make regular visits to the NA and would be happy, on each visit, to look up one or two names that you need assistance with. This way it would not restrict my own research too much. There would be no charge for this accept for any copies you require (and this may be avoidable if you are happy for me to take digital images).

My only shameless request is that you give me a mention on the website (and possibly link it to one that I may create for my own work- although you would have to establish if the local council were happy with this.)

I also make regular visits to the battlefields and may be able to provide photos of graves or memorials, if you are looking to add these to the website.

Hope this helps.

Regards

PAUL JOHNSON

Good Luck with the project John, I take my hat off to you sir, for taking on such a task. I can't see any of the pals on here objecting to you in your "shameless" pursuit of knowledge.

Well done :D

John,

if you come accross anything that you need down here in Eastbourne, Seaford or Brighton give me a yell.

Good luck.

I too am happy to get photo's of graves for you if you wish

Always around the somme 1st July and Ypres in November

It will all be free for you, I understand the no funds complex.

Mandy

Annette

53 KSLI on the list. I'll be knocking on your door sometime next year according to my schedule.

John

John,

I have downloaded the 2nd Sussex for 2nd august 1914 to end of march 1915, then it jumod to the 7th Bn for the rest of the war if its any use let me know.

Mandy

John

Good luck with the project.

Plenty of Essex boys on the forum - Although you'll probably only have half a dozen or so Essex men - Just shout - An essex expert ( probably not me ;) ) will come running

Glyn

Glyn/Mandy - we didnt export too many your way. Three Essex and one Sussex. Will be in touch in due course. Thanks

Sue - I will, of course, be shamelessly trawling your website for extracts.

Paul - many thanks, mate

John - are they all Army, or some Navy? In that case I might be able to help out - even get some basic service information without the hassle or expense of Kew (and free detailed info. if they were submariners).

Cheeeeeerrsss

Richard

John

Good luck with the project. Maybe part of the information you are gathering can be usefull for another project?

Only a few days ago, the Memorial Museum Passchendaele 1917 got the green light from Flemish Government to start with "The Passchendaele Archives". The aim of this project is to gather as much as possible information about all the casualties (KIA, DOW or missing) during Third Ypres 1917. Only one limitation: there has to be a photo of the casualty.

Once the project is developping, the information will be made available as a database for the public. For a limited period (a bit more than a year), a temporary employee will be paid by the government to collect and organise any information available about this subject.

So if you come across casualties from this period (including preparatory artillery actions, which means we are starting from 12th of July 1917) it would be much appreciated if you want to share this information.

Please let me know if you are prepared to cooperate with this project (not really extra work, just passing the gathered relevant information). I will send you then a contact adress at the museum which will make things easier.

For the other pals: every cooperation is more than welcome, and I will post this project as a new topic within the forthcoming days.

Erwin

I'm almost envious except doing the 50 or so men on my local memorial has been pretty time consuming but very rewarding. Doing it 3,000 times is a helluva challenge but incredibly worthwhile. Anything needed in the Surrey/Kent/Sussex area, just say the word.

You know where to find us.....right here on the forum

Good luck and Congratulations

Hambo

(When will we be able to link all the research we do into a national database? Will that day ever come?)

Congratulations John,

That will be quite an achievement when it's finished. And a valuable resource and inspiration for us all.

If you have any 23rd London or Royal West Kents in those 3,000 then I'll see if I have any information for you.

Regards,

Matthew