Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tanks at High Wood

delta

I am finding it difficult to track down info about the 4 tanks used to support 47th Div at High Wood; I tink that there were four and one apparently become confused and shot up its supporting infantry. Can some-one give me a clue about the others?

I have a little info to get you started.

All four tanks arrived late at the front and headed off at the same time as the soldiers went over the top. Being slower than the men they were left straggling.

One male and one female tank of 'D' Company, D21 & D22, (Lt Robinson & Lt Sharpe commanding) started from south of High Wood and headed up the wood's SE edge.

Robinson's tank headed off on right course, fouled on tree stumps, turned incorrectly due east and ditched in Worcester trench, after firing on some London Regiment men.

Sharpe's tank broke the axle of its steering tail after ten minutes and finished near the mine crater south east of the wood.

Female, "Delilah", 'D' Coy, D13, commanded by 2/Lt Sampson, headed through Hight Wood right of centre. It was hit by a shell and caught fire. The crew bailed out in a German trench and captured 15 Germans.

Female, 'C' Coy, C13, commanded by Lt Strother, headed parallel with High Wood's NW side, fouled on a tree stump, and got stuck fast.

Steve.

Trevor Pidgeon in his magisterial "Tanks at Flers" lists the 4th tank as C23 commanded by 2nd/Lt A M Henderson, not C13 commanded by Strother. A considerable amount of detective work was done by Trevor to establish this. He also claims that IWM photo Q 48206 (in his book) is a picture of the wreck of D13 and photo Q 48205 is a picture of C23.

I would suggest Trevor's wonderful book is the best source of information about this action.

My source was the Hell they called High Wood, which is obviously a more general source and the map that is printed therein, so Ian's source is obviously the more focussed one.

I shall have to look up Ian's recommendation, too!

Steve.

Yes, Steve, I thoroughly recommend Trevor's book which is a real labour of love.

I think it was generally accepted that C13 was the fourth tank until Trevor did a painstaking root and branch review of the rather confusing base documentation

Trevor is a WFA Surrey member and I think privately printed his book - although copies seem quite easy to get hold of. A "proper" book !

Thanx for all the info; any more would be most welcome.

Stephen

PS

I have recently seen "Tanks at Flers" advertised in the Naval and Military Press newsletter; will have to get one.