Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Men of the Royal Naval Air Service

I have information of virtually all men of the Royal Naval Air Service. This info varies from full name/official number up to very much more. These men would include attached RNVR officers and I am at present working on men of the RNVR Anti Aircraft Corps of the RNAS.

• 2 weeks later...
I have information of virtually all men of the Royal Naval Air Service. This info varies from full name/official number up to very much more. These men would include attached RNVR officers and I am at present working on men of the RNVR Anti Aircraft Corps of the RNAS.

G'day,

I am currently researching Australians in the RNAS there is roughly 100 of them, is it possible to cross reference them with your database.

Regards,

Andrew.

I do not have a list of Australians as such but if you can provide individual names I should be able to give you info on them

G'day,

I am currently researching Australians in the RNAS there is roughly 100 of them, is it possible to cross reference them with your database.

Regards,

Andrew.

Flt Sub Lt Colin Johnson entered RNAS 04Jan1915

Flt Lt 01Jan1916

Born 12th July 1893 native of Rainham, Kent

R Aero Cert No 1165 at Eastbourne on 11th April 1915

At Hendon 4th Jan 1915 - 24th Feb 1915

At Eastbourne 25th Feb 1915 - 10th May 1915

At Eastchurch 11th May 1915 - 21st July 1915

At East Fortune by March 1916

Dived into sea from 100 feet in 1454 a Henry Farman Pusher Biplane location unclear but probably near East Fortune

Buried Rainham (St Margaret) Churchyard, Kent.

Mentioned in the Aeroplane of 22nd March 1916 and Flight of 23rd March 1916

I have some further references if you would like them.

I do not have a list of Australians as such but if you can provide individual names I should be able to give you info on them

G'day,

Thanks for your help I will start with the 'A's"

Arthur Denis Wigram Allen

Dudley Theyer Angas

Basil Drummond Ash

and the "B's"

Sydney Brookes Ball

Leslie Charles Beaver

Bertram Charles Bell

Francis Walter Belt (Armoured Cars)

Harold John Thomas Berryman

Ernest Wilfred Birch

Charles Dawson Booker (Associated with Austr.)

Edward Alexander Boyd

Reginald Haslam Boyden

Cecil Horace Brinsmead

Henry Richard Busteed

Thanks in advance

Andrew.

I have some further references if you would like them.

Many thanks for the info you provided on F/S-Lt Johnson. Would be grateful for the further references you refer to.

Jon

Any information you might have on my Paternal Grandad

Richard William Vanhinsbergh RNAS,

Many thanks Regards Roger

Hi,

I wondered if you could help.

I have my great grandfathers WW1 medals and on the edge is written 'F 1979 G. Peck A.M.1 R.N.A.S'.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jean-Marc

• 2 weeks later...
G'day,

Regards,

Andrew.

Hi Andrew, sorry for the delay in answering your query. I have something on all of them assuming that you mean Angus,T.D. and not Angas. But I have no reference to three of them, Ball, Berryman and Boyden as being Australians. The amount of info also varies. e.g I have approx 50 references to publications in which Busteed and Booker are mentioned. I think e-mail would be a more suitable medium for this volume of info, assuming that you want all of that. Please let me know as I am now in a better position to answer your query.

Regards Duncan

Do you have any info on the Balloon Section. My man is Bernard Roland Valentine FOX. Regards Steve.

Hi Steve

Born 8th February 1900

Connections with Romford,Essex

Prob Flt Officer 14th January 1918

At Roehampton 14th January 1918 - 1st April 1918

Appointment terminated 1st April 1918

Mentioned in Flight Magazine of 17th January 1918

Sorry no further info

Regards Duncan

Hi,

I wondered if you could help.

I have my great grandfathers WW1 medals and on the edge is written 'F 1979 G. Peck A.M.1 R.N.A.S'.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jean-Marc

Hi Jean-Marc

Peck,George AM1 F1979

Born Rotherhithe 19th September 1893

Enlisted in RNAS 11th November 1914

Left RNAS prior to 01Apr1918

No further details known

His original enlistment papers are held at the Fleet Air Arm Museum, Yeovilton

Hope this helps, Duncan

Any information you might have on my Paternal Grandad

Richard William Vanhinsbergh RNAS,

Many thanks Regards Roger

Hi Roger

Vanhinsberg,Richard William, Air Mechanic 1st Class F35505

Enlisted in RNAS 14th August 1917 for duration of war

Became Air Mechanic 2nd Class in RAF 1st April 1918

RNAS trade engineer

RAF trade general fitter

Daily rate of pay 3shillings

NB he was not demoted on entering the RAF as there were only 2 grades of mechanic in the RNAS and 3 in the RAF so some AM1s RNAS became AM2s RAF depending on their seniority.

Hope this helps Duncan

Super Thank You

Much Appreciate Your Kind Help!

Regards Roger.{HB}

Hi Duncan

Do you have any details about Lieutenant R. M. Inge.

The information I have to date is that he was the observer in Short 184 No 8038 from Dover, flown by Flight Sub Lieutenant A. T. M. Cowley, when they were forced to land in the North Sea and then captured by a U-Boat on 6 May 1916. Both airmen were moved to the Netherlands on 30 April 1918. Lieutenant Inge was repatriated on 26 November 1918.

Thanks very much

Steve

Many thanks for the info you provided on F/S-Lt Johnson.  Would be grateful for the further references you refer to.

Jon

Hi Jon

RAC list of Aviation Certificates granted up to 31st October 1922: p149

Airmen Died in the Great War: p8,217,320

Aeroplane Magazine issues of 19th & 26th May 1915,5th January & 22nd March 1916

Cross & Cockade Magazine Vol 6 Part 2: p22

A History of the Eastbourne Aviation Company: p145

Flight Magazine of 23rd March 1916

Officers died in service with Royal Navy, Royal Naval Reserve, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve, Royal Naval Air Service and Royal Air Force 1914 - 1919: p31,151

Royal Naval Aircraft Serial Numbers and Units 1911-1919

Some further information held at the Fleet Air Arm Museum

Hope this helps, Duncan

Hi Duncan

Do you have any details about Lieutenant R. M. Inge.

The information I have to date is that he was the observer in Short 184 No 8038 from Dover, flown by Flight Sub Lieutenant A. T. M. Cowley, when they were forced to land in the North Sea and then captured by a U-Boat on 6 May 1916. Both airmen were moved to the Netherlands on 30 April 1918.  Lieutenant Inge was repatriated on 26 November 1918.

Thanks very much

Steve

Hi Steve

Ive got no more actual info of the incident and I havn't had a look at his record card yet. It will be at least two weeks before I get the chance. However I have some references where he has been mentioned.

Air Defence of Great Britain: p89

Cross & Cockade Magazine Vol 3 Part 4: P181,189,197

Observers and Navigators: p24,25 (recently published)

Prisioner of War List: p176

Royal Naval Aircraft Serialls and Units 1911 - 1918: 85,91,117

The Sky Their BattlefielD: p476

PRO File Air1/2512.

NB This list is not exhaustive and the mentions may be fleeting in the above works

Drop me a further query in about three weeks time andd I'll see if I can add to the info

Hope this helps. Regards Duncan

Would you have any information on Sub Lieutenant Grout, He transferred to the RFC shortly before May 1917. Anything you have would be much appreciated

Jamie

Hello Duncan

Three of the men I'm researching from Chailey (Sussex) served in the RNAS. I have next to nothing on them so anything you can add will be much appreciated.

AM L H Beal (mentioned in the local Parish magazine as serving between March 1916 and December 1917)

Leading Mechanic Stephen King (ditto September 1915 to July 1919)

AM Harry Urry (ditto August 1915 to November 1916)

Best wishes

Paul

Hi Andrew, sorry for the delay in answering your query. I have something on all of them assuming that you mean Angus,T.D. and not Angas. But I have no reference to three of them, Ball, Berryman and Boyden as being Australians. The amount of info also varies. e.g I have approx 50 references to publications in which Busteed and Booker are mentioned. I think e-mail would be a more suitable medium for this volume of info, assuming that you want all of that. Please let me know  as I am now in a better position to answer your query.

Regards Duncan

G'day Duncan,

Thanks mate, I have sent you an email.

Regards,

Andrew.

Would you have any information on Sub Lieutenant Grout, He transferred to the RFC shortly before May 1917. Anything you have would be much appreciated

Jamie

Hi Jamie

The only likely Grout I have is Sydney Armstrong, Aircraftsman 2nd Class F22547

Enlisted 24th October 1916

Born Troubridge, Kent on 20th June 1882

Left RNAS date unknown but prior to 1st April 1918

All I have at present but I may be able to add to this if you send me a further query in about 3 weeks time

Regards

Duncan